Less restrictive media= lower bypass rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil filter amsoil ea15k13 bypass rating 11-17 psi. I think the oem filter is rated at 23psi. If a less restrictive media is used can an aftermarket filter with a lower rating be ok to use? The vehicle is a '13 subaru outback 2.5 fb25 engine.

I think subaru changes the specs for the '13 model. I'd double check before putting that filter in there. IIRC they aren't the same filter... Could be wrong but I would double check.

Originally Posted By: 11crv
The oil filter amsoil ea15k13 bypass rating 11-17 psi. I think the oem filter is rated at 23psi. If a less restrictive media is used can an aftermarket filter with a lower rating be ok to use? The vehicle is a '13 subaru outback 2.5 fb25 engine.

My opinion is that Amsoil is a little paranoid of the filter clogging and has placed a lower limit bypass rating to protect the engine!

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

My opinion is that Amsoil is a little paranoid of the filter clogging and has placed a lower limit bypass rating to protect the engine!

It's possible. That's the same filter I used on my 03 accord and on my moms 06 odyssey. I'm not saying one way or the other, but I'm pretty sure they changed the filter specs on the 2013.

I take it that Amsoil specifies the Ea15K13 for your vehicle? Is so, then I'm sure they have considered the bypass setting for that engine. You can try contacting Amsoil and ask them why their filter specified for you vehicle has a lower bypass valve setting - it would be interesting to hear.

And yes, if the delta-P across the media is less then the bypass valve setting can be set lower. Just setting the bypass valve lower because they are "paranoid of the filter clogging" isn't a good reason to set the bypass lower because you also don't want excessive bypass events when the filter isn't very clogged up.

the subaru oil filter lineup is wack

pretty much the same filter through 2010, then the fb25 forester in 2011 is different and then 2012+ fb25 is different(from 2011 and pre2011)

almost every lookup chart says my 2011 takes the pre2011 filter which is wrong.

it also doesnt take the 2012+ filter.

15.gif

Last edited:
quote:
And yes, if the delta-P across the media is less then the bypass valve setting can be set lower. Just setting the bypass valve lower because they are "paranoid of the filter clogging" isn't a good reason to set the bypass lower because you also don't want excessive bypass events when the filter isn't very clogged up. end quote;

It is not a good reason, but what fix did Amsoil make when all the filters were clogging and they pulled some off the market for a remake?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
quote:
And yes, if the delta-P across the media is less then the bypass valve setting can be set lower. Just setting the bypass valve lower because they are "paranoid of the filter clogging" isn't a good reason to set the bypass lower because you also don't want excessive bypass events when the filter isn't very clogged up. end quote;

It is not a good reason, but what fix did Amsoil make when all the filters were clogging and they pulled some off the market for a remake?

I think they put out a service bulletin (seen it talked about here a few times - search for TSB: FL-2009-05-01) that changed the recommended filter application or changed the filter usage interval, and they might have redesigned the filter media to be less restrictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back