Oil Filters for Subaru's....What do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If you don't use the factory Honeywell blue with the P-gasket - prepare for weeping leaks all around and over your catcon.

I've never had a leak on either of our cars using the Fram PH9715.

I use the OEM filters. The dealership is across the river in St Louis, so I just ordered three from a dealership on eBay.

Um no they are not. Driveworks filters are in the 60% efficiency range, how does that compare to a 96% efficiency FRAM?

OK.....my local Napa was running their oil filter sale, so I picked up four OEM copies (Napa Gold 7712) at $3.83 each and 4 Napa Platinum 41365, which are oversized but have typical bypass relief of around 11psi, at $6.11 each.

I'm covered for awhile. Also got a new cabin filter and 3 Napa Gold air filters.

Stopped at Subie dealership this morning and bought a case (12 quarts) of Subaru ATF-HP for about $85 out the door.

Last edited:
Been running PureOne oil filters for most of the 90k miles we have on our '07 Forester. No problems have surfaced yet.

Originally Posted By: Miniata
Been running PureOne oil filters for most of the 90k miles we have on our '07 Forester. No problems have surfaced yet.

With P1 tears lately...I decided to go Wix.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Originally Posted By: Miniata

With P1 tears lately...I decided to go Wix.
Yeah, I've read about those recently as well, but already had a P1 on hand. I guess I'll risk it and will be putting it on the FXT this evening when I change the oil. Probably switch to something else for next time.

We've had an '09 Forester NA since we bought it new in August 2008.
I've used a number of different oil filters on it, most recently a P1.
No problems with any filter.
Bypass pressure is inexact with any filter, so I doubt that it matters much.
Subaru engines do have an insane oil flow rate, though.
I just drained the 7.5K GC from it today and replaced it with Ultra 5W-30.
Puro Classic off, P1 on.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Puro Classic off, P1 on.

Can you cut it open for us? Curious about the Puro Classic at 7.5 and what type of shape it is in.

I seldom reply to these monthly Subaru filter threads anymore... but... I use the OE filters since new in my 2004 WRX ie from the white purolator to the black made in japan to the current blue Honeywell.

Why? Because it has the right bypass and doesn't leak with the p gasket. People overthink about these things too much. You know how many filters the dealers install per day? If they leak or cause engines to blow up, FHI would know. If the bypass is wrong, they will change supplier (wink wink). If a batch has issue, they'll do a recall, which they did.

Now, who would know the Purolators have media burst if they don't read this forum? Will purolator tell you that? How about if the flat gasket doesn't mate well with the Subaru? Will they change the gasket just for 1 application? Truth is for every 1 filter they sell for a Subaru application, 10 OE is used in a dealer. The aftermarket just doesn't have enough data to know what works or not. And doesn't have any incentive to fix anything , or even make it to spec (bypass)

My turbo modded car now has 113k miles. And I am willing to bet any amount that your engine won't last longer than mine simply because you picked filter X.

Have fun trying to figure out if the pureone with the right bypass but no ADBV fits, or if the smaller pureone with the wrong bypass is ok, or if the Wix is better, or if you can still source the black made in japan filter, or pay $30 for a pink sti filter. Been there, done that and I just use the blue Honeywell. When the blue Honeywell with the updated bypass came out and the black filter was in demand, I even sold all my extra black made filters to some kid at $15 a pop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Puro Classic off, P1 on.

Can you cut it open for us? Curious about the Puro Classic at 7.5 and what type of shape it is in.

I had that thought, but I don't have a filter cutter and there is no other way to open a filter cleanly.
We've seen a number of cases where Purolator filters had media failure, but we've also seen a number of Purolator filters where there were no failures after quite a few miles, so the jury is out.
One thing I did notice, which also happened on one other OCI where I used a Puro Classic on the Forester, was evidence of gasket seep. Nothing like a blowout, but some oil had obviously gotten past the base gasket and run down the filter.
Not much, but enough that you could see it.
I won't use any more Classics in this application and we'll see how the P1 does in this regard.

that gigantic infamous thread is full of interesting conjecture and little fact or results on engines that have exploded from not paying attention to this iota of info called a bypass spec.

in result, i use whatever i have on hand, sometimes OEM but my blues are almost out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back