Hondas, Toyotas and the brainwashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new Camry yesterday. $5700 off sticker on a '17. Woo-hoo. Ironically my friend rolled over 300,000 miles on his 99 Accord. I sold a Corolla to a friend many years ago. His daughter ran it out of oil @ 310,000 miles on the original clutch. I like NOT spending money on car repairs.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Originally Posted By: Toros
Prius cars are out and out goofy. I'm sick of hearing their praises. What the Prius toolbags won't tell you is how [censored] the ride is. Prius is a a silly car for silly people.

Well they are a fantastic car
grin.gif
By the way, the new Prius has a great ride and handles far better than the previous 3 generations, and the MPGs are well above EPA ratings. You should drive one before you spew ignorance.

My mother had one a couple years ago...they had nowhere to go but up. The ride could only be called PAINFUL-it was stiffer than my Cherokee or my Vic.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
It is just a people mover, some people want nothing to do with a car other than going from point A to point B with no drama, economically. What's wrong with boring reliable ride?

Depends. What is "boring" and "drama" in technical terms?
I don't call cars boring or exciting, they're either competent or incompetent.
I like cars that are reliable and competent. You know, you can have both, right?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Prius cars are out and out goofy. I'm sick of hearing their praises. What the Prius toolbags won't tell you is how [censored] the ride is. Prius is a a silly car for silly people.

It is just a people mover, some people want nothing to do with a car other than going from point A to point B with no drama, economically. What's wrong with boring reliable ride?

Maybe because life is too short for boring? I did drive one before. Gas mileage was good but that was about it, it was horrible driving it. Way too slow. I kept getting cut off all the time because it couldn't keep up with traffic. Then again every time I see one and need to cut into traffic, I plan to cut the Prius off if there's a gap because I know it's too slow to keep up.

I'm also in the club of being delayed by a Prius...one time in Colorado the Prius in front of me kept sliding off the road and they had people behind it pushing it through the snow on I70. They were endangering themselves and everyone around them. Meanwhile I sat in the Jeep like it was a sunny day out. That Prius cost me first tracks skiing!!!! I've held grudges against them ever since.

Last edited:
All of the Prius taxis in DC used to be worthless in the snow as well. I think it's mostly due to the LRR tires.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Every time I see a Prius they're always flying down the highway going 80+!!

only 80+?

Originally Posted By: funflyer

Well they are a fantastic car
grin.gif
By the way, the new Prius has a great ride and handles far better than the previous 3 generations, and the MPGs are well above EPA ratings. You should drive one before you spew ignorance.

I did drive them....several times. I rode in them too. Back seat in a Prius just sucks. Both here in the US and in Germany, which was a frightening experience. Goofy cars for goofy folks.Can't get out of their own way. If gas mileage is your only barometer for car ownership satisfaction, that's your problem.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on the model of Ford(s) in your fleet. I have heard that the 1st generation Transit Connects can have transmission issues if any significant weight is carried in them.
My 2007 F150 XL 4.2/auto trans has 168K on it with 15K synthetic oil and filter changes (Edge and Mobil 1 EP). The transmission filter was changed at 79K, pan drain y 119K and at 165K. The PS fluid was changed at 60K and at 164K. So far, I have only had to replace the starter last week (168K)and the diode for the fan speed.
My office manager has had her Explorer 4.0 jump a timing gear tooth at 180K and is junking the truck.
What is the most dependable Ford powertrain, in your opinion, from this era (pre-Coyote)?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

only 80+?
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
He's right. Prius drivers in Texas tend to be maniacs.

Sport mode in a Prius makes for some very aggressive driving. I cannot imagine how low the fuel economy goes during that time.

And they are saving the Earth doing it.

Originally Posted By: plaguef
Originally Posted By: pandus13

only 80+?
Originally Posted By: Coprolite
He's right. Prius drivers in Texas tend to be maniacs.

Sport mode in a Prius makes for some very aggressive driving. I cannot imagine how low the fuel economy goes during that time.

I never drive my prius without power mode activated....I almost never get a tank below 50 mpg, actually I tend to do better in power mode than eco mode.

I have nothing against 99% of Prius owners; that said, I LOVE this story from Jalopnik:

"The Prius Lady"

Well worth the read...

There are two types of slow drivers in the left lane. The Enforcers and the ADL.

The Enforcers are those drivers who will drive The Speed Limit no matter what, making sure everyone behind also drives The Speed Limit. Because it is Safe. Because it is The Law. These people must always be feeling the effects of the thin air at the extreme altitudes of their moral high ground because of the way they always look at you when you pass them on the right, They KNOW you are a bad person.

Then there is the ADL, aka the Anti-Destination League. They are the oblivious cousins to the Enforcers. This pox on humanity’s highways simply exists keep you from getting anywhere. Whether it is by driving 10mph slower than everyone else, riding the line with their blinker on for miles, or coming to a stop for free-flowing traffic at an on-ramp, these drivers somehow always manage to find their way into the left lane where they can inflict maximum chaos upon the driving masses. It must be a directive in the ADL Handbook. I’ve never actually read the thing...

This story is about a driver too disruptive for the Enforcer ranks, but I’m betting the ADL was too scared to take her on.

When I started commuting south into San Antonio every day it didn’t take long to start recognizing other cars. The lifted white F-150 with emergency lights and volunteer fire department stickers. The silver Miata with a hard top that I pass most mornings leaving New Braunfels. And the Prius Lady.

I called her the Prius Lady (PL) in reference to Dana Carvey’s Church Lady character from Saturday Night Live. You know the stereotype. Holier-than-thou because she drives the automotive equivalent to the Saviour of the environment. Drives 66mph in the left lane of a 70mph zone where everyone is already doing 75-80mph. Hey, I live in Central Texas, speeding is a constitutional right, right? Now you may think since I am on Jalopnik that maybe I simply profile every poor soul driving a Toyota ‘Pious’, but no.

There was only one Prius with an "I LOVE FERRETS" bumper sticker.

PL would always get on I-35 southbound at the Cibolo ramp, around 7:15am. She would put on her left turn signal and then come across two more lanes to the fast lane, all at that same 65-66mph speed. The momentum of all three lanes would stutter, brake lights flashing as everyone else adjusted to her speed and then jockeyed for position to go around her on the right. Not seeing her on the way in to work was a good commute. Coming up behind her and getting stuck there while traffic whipped by on the right sucked. Had my fair share of both.

In those days I was still driving my GTI VR6 and I can’t tell you how many times I buzzed by PL on the right in 3rd gear just to see the displeased look on her face at my combined disdain for traffic law and the environment. After a while my OEM exhaust had finally rotted away so I gleefully admit to fitting an aftermarket system along with one of the much-cussed/discussed cat-delete ‘test pipes’.

The Sound was Glorious.

I questioned all the years of my previously-held sanity, that I should not spend money that didn’t need to be spent, that I should not fix that which was not broken. But now I knew. Every VR6's soul was already broken straight from the factory. Saddled with the much-reviled ‘suitcase’ sound chambers. How the angels must have wept the first time those 12V head exhaust ports were free to breathe more openly. But I digress...

Commuting with the new pipe was invigorating. And if I buzzed by my old ferret-loving fellow commuter in 3rd gear it got her all excited too! There were several mornings where I almost thought she liked it, but it was not so.

On the morning of The Greatest Commute Ever I came upon ‘ol PL in the left lane and, with a quickness in my left toe and right wrist, I grabbed 3rd gear in time to slip into the middle lane and zip around her... Just in time to see the wall of brake lights. Yeah, it was bad timing on my part as I was not focused far enough ahead. So we all come to a stop, with PL right behind me for probably the first time ever. And then we proceeded to begin the stop-and-go dance.

In case you don’t know, an early 12V VR6 with a mostly-open exhaust is actually pretty bassy at low RPMs. So every time we inched forward the back of my car was giving PL a nice break from that complete lack of aural stimulation that a Prius enforces upon its interior. Bunched up as we were I could clearly see her eyes widen and her lips mumble as I would start moving. Being a self-professed considerate type I thought maybe she would appreciate a change so as I rolled to a stop once again I blipped the throttle. If it works for Harley’s, right?

Let me tell you it did NOT work for PL. She began talking to me through her windshield for a moment before suddenly stopping and pressing her lips together in a hard line. The next time we moved I did it again, two revs this time. That got me approximately twice the amount of reaction. Now we all know that twice can be a coincidence but three times provides the proof, so next time I rolled to a stop I gave her the full tachometer sweep and PL came unglued.

I think the best word is apoplectic. Yeah, because it looked like her head was going to pop off. When my foot went down she looked like she was bouncing off some internal rev-limiter. I began revving the motor up and down, just sitting there. She must have rolled down her window because suddenly her shaking fist appeared outside the car over her driver’s mirror, proudly sporting a rigid middle finger.

By this point I’m laughing like a maniac at her completely useless, impotent rage. As I’m shaking my head something else catches my eye on the right and I look over to see the guy next to me waving like, ‘[censored], Man?’ from his full-size pickup. I point over my shoulder at erupting Prius Lady and he looks back, I see the light bulb come on in his head, and he starts laughing, too. And then he waved at me again and held up his index finger in that way that people use to indicate ‘wait just a moment’. He reached downward for something, then turned and smiled, and revved his diesel engine... Yeah.

He must have had dual exhausts because black smoke poured out of both sides at the back of his truck, right over perspicacious Prius Lady’s pristine Prius.

I admit, I laughed so hard that I peed a little.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
I never drive my prius without power mode activated....I almost never get a tank below 50 mpg, actually I tend to do better in power mode than eco mode.

haha, I am the opposite in that I never drive my Prius V in power mode. I average 41 mpg, but it is a Prius V model and I make no attempt to maximize mileage other than keeping it in economy mode.

However on a recent drive through Vermont, I did manage to go 90 mph. Downhill, of course
smile.gif
. Wonder what speed it might have been in power mode?

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I have nothing against 99% of Prius owners; that said, I LOVE this story from Jalopnik:

"The Prius Lady"

Well worth the read...

There are two types of slow drivers in the left lane. The Enforcers and the ADL.

The Enforcers are those drivers who will drive The Speed Limit no matter what, making sure everyone behind also drives The Speed Limit. Because it is Safe. Because it is The Law. These people must always be feeling the effects of the thin air at the extreme altitudes of their moral high ground because of the way they always look at you when you pass them on the right, They KNOW you are a bad person.

Then there is the ADL, aka the Anti-Destination League. They are the oblivious cousins to the Enforcers. This pox on humanity’s highways simply exists keep you from getting anywhere. Whether it is by driving 10mph slower than everyone else, riding the line with their blinker on for miles, or coming to a stop for free-flowing traffic at an on-ramp, these drivers somehow always manage to find their way into the left lane where they can inflict maximum chaos upon the driving masses. It must be a directive in the ADL Handbook. I’ve never actually read the thing...

This story is about a driver too disruptive for the Enforcer ranks, but I’m betting the ADL was too scared to take her on.

When I started commuting south into San Antonio every day it didn’t take long to start recognizing other cars. The lifted white F-150 with emergency lights and volunteer fire department stickers. The silver Miata with a hard top that I pass most mornings leaving New Braunfels. And the Prius Lady.

I called her the Prius Lady (PL) in reference to Dana Carvey’s Church Lady character from Saturday Night Live. You know the stereotype. Holier-than-thou because she drives the automotive equivalent to the Saviour of the environment. Drives 66mph in the left lane of a 70mph zone where everyone is already doing 75-80mph. Hey, I live in Central Texas, speeding is a constitutional right, right? Now you may think since I am on Jalopnik that maybe I simply profile every poor soul driving a Toyota ‘Pious’, but no.

There was only one Prius with an "I LOVE FERRETS" bumper sticker.

PL would always get on I-35 southbound at the Cibolo ramp, around 7:15am. She would put on her left turn signal and then come across two more lanes to the fast lane, all at that same 65-66mph speed. The momentum of all three lanes would stutter, brake lights flashing as everyone else adjusted to her speed and then jockeyed for position to go around her on the right. Not seeing her on the way in to work was a good commute. Coming up behind her and getting stuck there while traffic whipped by on the right sucked. Had my fair share of both.

In those days I was still driving my GTI VR6 and I can’t tell you how many times I buzzed by PL on the right in 3rd gear just to see the displeased look on her face at my combined disdain for traffic law and the environment. After a while my OEM exhaust had finally rotted away so I gleefully admit to fitting an aftermarket system along with one of the much-cussed/discussed cat-delete ‘test pipes’.

The Sound was Glorious.

I questioned all the years of my previously-held sanity, that I should not spend money that didn’t need to be spent, that I should not fix that which was not broken. But now I knew. Every VR6's soul was already broken straight from the factory. Saddled with the much-reviled ‘suitcase’ sound chambers. How the angels must have wept the first time those 12V head exhaust ports were free to breathe more openly. But I digress...

Commuting with the new pipe was invigorating. And if I buzzed by my old ferret-loving fellow commuter in 3rd gear it got her all excited too! There were several mornings where I almost thought she liked it, but it was not so.

On the morning of The Greatest Commute Ever I came upon ‘ol PL in the left lane and, with a quickness in my left toe and right wrist, I grabbed 3rd gear in time to slip into the middle lane and zip around her... Just in time to see the wall of brake lights. Yeah, it was bad timing on my part as I was not focused far enough ahead. So we all come to a stop, with PL right behind me for probably the first time ever. And then we proceeded to begin the stop-and-go dance.

In case you don’t know, an early 12V VR6 with a mostly-open exhaust is actually pretty bassy at low RPMs. So every time we inched forward the back of my car was giving PL a nice break from that complete lack of aural stimulation that a Prius enforces upon its interior. Bunched up as we were I could clearly see her eyes widen and her lips mumble as I would start moving. Being a self-professed considerate type I thought maybe she would appreciate a change so as I rolled to a stop once again I blipped the throttle. If it works for Harley’s, right?

Let me tell you it did NOT work for PL. She began talking to me through her windshield for a moment before suddenly stopping and pressing her lips together in a hard line. The next time we moved I did it again, two revs this time. That got me approximately twice the amount of reaction. Now we all know that twice can be a coincidence but three times provides the proof, so next time I rolled to a stop I gave her the full tachometer sweep and PL came unglued.

I think the best word is apoplectic. Yeah, because it looked like her head was going to pop off. When my foot went down she looked like she was bouncing off some internal rev-limiter. I began revving the motor up and down, just sitting there. She must have rolled down her window because suddenly her shaking fist appeared outside the car over her driver’s mirror, proudly sporting a rigid middle finger.

By this point I’m laughing like a maniac at her completely useless, impotent rage. As I’m shaking my head something else catches my eye on the right and I look over to see the guy next to me waving like, ‘[censored], Man?’ from his full-size pickup. I point over my shoulder at erupting Prius Lady and he looks back, I see the light bulb come on in his head, and he starts laughing, too. And then he waved at me again and held up his index finger in that way that people use to indicate ‘wait just a moment’. He reached downward for something, then turned and smiled, and revved his diesel engine... Yeah.

He must have had dual exhausts because black smoke poured out of both sides at the back of his truck, right over perspicacious Prius Lady’s pristine Prius.

I admit, I laughed so hard that I peed a little.

That is GOLD!

We have a local equivalent, he proudly has it plastered with big "52MPG vehicle" stickers and drives around like he is single-handedly saving the planet. My '87 GT T-top was likely far more obnoxious than the GTI above: off-road H-pipe and well broken-in Flowmaster 40's. The stink-eye I would get from that guy when I was in his vicinity was amusing, the utter contempt on his face when one blipped the throttle (and we all know what a V8 with no cats smells like) and dragged second was stitch-inducing.

There are some stories about various interactions with this guy from associates of mine, however that's for another time.

yesterdays I-43 north to the end 75-85mph stopped at the fuel station...1.5 very raspy in the cooler fall type air.

have to bump those numbers 3% for the oversized rubber. Another note: oil viscosity is double the mfg. spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back