Hondas, Toyotas and the brainwashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'd rather be in a bigger car that can get out of the way than in a tiny car that's a death trap. Drivers around here are crazy, there's lots of accidents where the driver gets killed and it's not the driver's fault.

And most people are brain washed on the maintenance aspect of it. Yes it can be expensive if you go to the dealer, but that's true of regular cars too. Oh and it also has headlamp washers. Most American cars don't have them, nor most Japanese although I've seen them on a few models.

I agree. In 2008 I was t-boned by a car going 50 mph while sitting at a stop sign. It was snowing, and the other driver was going way too fast and lost control, hitting my driver door. Pushed me sideways and my head hit the door. Had a concussion but walked away. My Jeep at the time was totaled, but had done it's job. For a few months after that I was weary of driving, and now I think it would be hard for me to go back to a smaller car, even though they are pretty safe.

There is something to be said for German steel. On the E90 forums there is a guy who posted pics of a wreck in California. A tanker truck went over the median on the highway and hit his 335i. Every panel on the car was damaged, it was barely recognizable, but the passenger compartment was intact.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
I have never seen a Prius holding up traffic. I have seen many slow driving American sedans tho.

Also no one has ever just walked up to me at a gas station and started talking to me. About anything.
Guess none of my rides are interesting/polarizing.

I live next to a college town (UConn) and have met some pretty interesting "free-spirited" people.

Once again, I think this entire issue boils down to:
Buy what YOU like; who cares what anyone else thinks?
I couldn't care less why someone owns a certain vehicle- it's absolutely none of my business. I only ask to be given the same respect.

I have never seen a Prius holding up traffic. I have seen many slow driving American sedans tho.

Also no one has ever just walked up to me at a gas station and started talking to me. About anything.

You're right, but most guys here ragging on the Prius know the truth and are just POd at the world and probably hate their lives to much to admit it.

Back in 2010, when I first bought a Prius, my carpool buddy said I was going to be one of those drivers who can't get out of everybody's way. He believed that more Priuses caused traffic problems than any other car, which I knew was [censored] so we made a bet. For every 1 Prius we saw going slow and blocking traffic, we would see 5 or more pickup trucks, like his, doing the same. By the end of day five he lost the bet and had to buy me lunch for a week.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I have to agree with the general point of this thread. It seems people hold onto old time automotive dogma like it was their last granola bar on a deserted island. I'm sure the fake automotive press has a lot to do with this as well. These ad men posing as car experts are well paid to "steer" people into the clients products. IMO the dark days of the U.S. auto industry (circa 1975 - 1993) wasn't an accident, but a well executed plan for a select few to make Huge money and launch the opening salvo in what we now refer to as "Globalism". Which I despise. Don't want to get too far off topic here but China will be the next superpower we must face. I sure hope everybody enjoys their cheap T.V's
The Toyota Camry built in the US has more American made parts than any other car sold in North America.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Well, I know the anti-Prius lady. A college professor in a light blue Prius. And just go ahead and remove any political stereotype... she was an hardcore libertarian... and my dissertation adviser. She bought a Prius to pay less tax.

She would drive 45mph+ on a college campus. Open space was flooring space in her Prius. This from someone who was a PhD in Civil Engineering (transportation) who "knew better".
She also owns a F350 POS... errr, PSD. She was tagged in her Prius going 96 in a 70 zone (I know, I was in the car and I was sure I would be driving it to post bail ... but for some reason she was not arrested). For some reason, the trooper knocked it down to only 12 over or something but I was aghast.

Is it common for students to ride with their professors?

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Well, I know the anti-Prius lady. A college professor in a light blue Prius. And just go ahead and remove any political stereotype... she was an hardcore libertarian... and my dissertation adviser. She bought a Prius to pay less tax.

She would drive 45mph+ on a college campus. Open space was flooring space in her Prius. This from someone who was a PhD in Civil Engineering (transportation) who "knew better".
She also owns a F350 POS... errr, PSD. She was tagged in her Prius going 96 in a 70 zone (I know, I was in the car and I was sure I would be driving it to post bail ... but for some reason she was not arrested). For some reason, the trooper knocked it down to only 12 over or something but I was aghast.

One of my professors during a pretty intense mathematics course held over the summer took us all out to lunch at the end and I rode with him. Beer and pizza.

I think you are both right, since you quote different metrics. The USA Today link didn't work for me, but iirc, they give bonus points for R&D and headquarters locations...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
The Toyota Camry built in the US has more American made parts than any other car sold in North America.

The most American Vehicle is a Chevy Traverse, the most American car is a Chevy Corvette.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car...ars/102651126/#

Grad students, TA, RA, and undergrad students doing projects for near free, yes. Just taking the courses? No.

Maybe you're going too slow to notice that traffic is being held up. Happens all the time. They do their best, but I seem them driving 50 in the right lane when traffic is doing 70-75 and the speed limit is 65. Everyone is trying to whip around them which makes it dangerous for everyone involved.

I think people have talked to me at gas stations over the years, but usually pretty rare. I do get comments once in a while on the Mercedes, they just say it's a nice car and I think I tried to say it was used and cheap but now I just say thanks.

I get asked if I want to sell my oldest vehicle, almost every time I drive it. My two street Motorcycles usually elicit some comment about having a deathwish. My fastest car often elicits some negative comment. Usually along the lines that I must be compensating for something. I tell them I am. I say it's a compromise since LMP cars aren't street legal.

Lots of people that like to mind other people's business, it would seem.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
There is a reason why I call it the Toyota Pious.

What do you think of the older Honda Insight? (They are really rare in my area)

They are rare everywhere! What did Honda sell, like 5 of them? (sarcasm...sorta)

They seem to be a lot less smug about it.
wink.gif

l

They are rare everywhere! What did Honda sell, like 5 of them? (sarcasm...sorta)

wink.gif

We have a guy at work who's been driving one for at least the past fifteen years.
It's getting a little tatty now and it's rear wheel skirts have been removed, but the little guy is still bringing this guy to work every day.
Also, I know for a fact that Honda delivered at least a dozen of these really economical little cars:)
We had another guy who had one for a number of years but it got destroyed in an accident and he replaced it with a Prius. This guy's a nerdy geek? Nah, I've also run into him when he's been out in his F250.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
l

wink.gif

We have a guy at work who's been driving one for at least the past fifteen years.
It's getting a little tatty now and it's rear wheel skirts have been removed, but the little guy is still bringing this guy to work every day.
Also, I know for a fact that Honda delivered at least a dozen of these really economical little cars:)
We had another guy who had one for a number of years but it got destroyed in an accident and he replaced it with a Prius. This guy's a nerdy geek? Nah, I've also run into him when he's been out in his F250.

I have owned 4 1st ten Honda Insights. They are quirky fun 2 seater cars. Sold my last one because we were about to have a baby and I upgraded to my current prius. People commented on it ALL the time. Looks from lots of people on the road.

At the graduate level, yes, absolutely. Depends on the college's culture, but as your "rank" increases, there are a lot less social barriers. At the PhD level, you adviser is basically a step-parent, but with more life/death power. They control your future - period. Yeah, I traveled with my prof in a personal vehicle daily (hers, mine, or another grad student). We had an off-campus lunch spot to do our research group meetings.

With the speeding "trip" we were on our way back from a classmate's wedding.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Maybe you're going too slow to notice that traffic is being held up. Happens all the time. They do their best, but I seem them driving 50 in the right lane when traffic is doing 70-75 and the speed limit is 65. Everyone is trying to whip around them which makes it dangerous for everyone involved.

I think people have talked to me at gas stations over the years, but usually pretty rare. I do get comments once in a while on the Mercedes, they just say it's a nice car and I think I tried to say it was used and cheap but now I just say thanks.

People will ask about the WS6 or Caprice at gas stations, but I get more questions about my travel trailer than any of my cars.

Of the past cars I've owned, the M6 and 2002 garnered the most questions or comments. These days the i3 gets the occasional once over or question.

Originally Posted By: Toros
Prius cars are out and out goofy. I'm sick of hearing their praises. What the Prius toolbags won't tell you is how [censored] the ride is. Prius is a a silly car for silly people.

I drive a 2nd gen Prius, IMO it doesn't handle as bad as many think. It's handicapped by a solid beam rear axle(VW also uses a solid beam rear in the Golf/Jetta/Audi A3 until recently) and skinny tires. It's no E36/E46/E90 BMW 3 Series or 1990s Civic before Honda moved it over to MacPherson front struts in 2001, but it's certainly better than some cars out there.

I think Prii are normal compared to a Saab or a pre-2010s Subaru.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken

I have owned 4 1st ten Honda Insights. They are quirky fun 2 seater cars. Sold my last one because we were about to have a baby and I upgraded to my current prius. People commented on it ALL the time. Looks from lots of people on the road.

The 1st gen Insight was pretty much an NSX in tree hugger drag, it was built at the same plant and with much of the same techniques including extensive use of aluminum as the NSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back