Hondas, Toyotas and the brainwashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MCompact
I have nothing against 99% of Prius owners; that said, I LOVE this story from Jalopnik:

"The Prius Lady"

Well worth the read...

There are two types of slow drivers in the left lane. The Enforcers and the ADL.

The Enforcers are those drivers who will drive The Speed Limit no matter what, making sure everyone behind also drives The Speed Limit. Because it is Safe. Because it is The Law. These people must always be feeling the effects of the thin air at the extreme altitudes of their moral high ground because of the way they always look at you when you pass them on the right, They KNOW you are a bad person.

Then there is the ADL, aka the Anti-Destination League. They are the oblivious cousins to the Enforcers. This pox on humanity’s highways simply exists keep you from getting anywhere. Whether it is by driving 10mph slower than everyone else, riding the line with their blinker on for miles, or coming to a stop for free-flowing traffic at an on-ramp, these drivers somehow always manage to find their way into the left lane where they can inflict maximum chaos upon the driving masses. It must be a directive in the ADL Handbook. I’ve never actually read the thing...

This story is about a driver too disruptive for the Enforcer ranks, but I’m betting the ADL was too scared to take her on.

When I started commuting south into San Antonio every day it didn’t take long to start recognizing other cars. The lifted white F-150 with emergency lights and volunteer fire department stickers. The silver Miata with a hard top that I pass most mornings leaving New Braunfels. And the Prius Lady.

I called her the Prius Lady (PL) in reference to Dana Carvey’s Church Lady character from Saturday Night Live. You know the stereotype. Holier-than-thou because she drives the automotive equivalent to the Saviour of the environment. Drives 66mph in the left lane of a 70mph zone where everyone is already doing 75-80mph. Hey, I live in Central Texas, speeding is a constitutional right, right? Now you may think since I am on Jalopnik that maybe I simply profile every poor soul driving a Toyota ‘Pious’, but no.

There was only one Prius with an "I LOVE FERRETS" bumper sticker.

PL would always get on I-35 southbound at the Cibolo ramp, around 7:15am. She would put on her left turn signal and then come across two more lanes to the fast lane, all at that same 65-66mph speed. The momentum of all three lanes would stutter, brake lights flashing as everyone else adjusted to her speed and then jockeyed for position to go around her on the right. Not seeing her on the way in to work was a good commute. Coming up behind her and getting stuck there while traffic whipped by on the right sucked. Had my fair share of both.

In those days I was still driving my GTI VR6 and I can’t tell you how many times I buzzed by PL on the right in 3rd gear just to see the displeased look on her face at my combined disdain for traffic law and the environment. After a while my OEM exhaust had finally rotted away so I gleefully admit to fitting an aftermarket system along with one of the much-cussed/discussed cat-delete ‘test pipes’.

The Sound was Glorious.

I questioned all the years of my previously-held sanity, that I should not spend money that didn’t need to be spent, that I should not fix that which was not broken. But now I knew. Every VR6's soul was already broken straight from the factory. Saddled with the much-reviled ‘suitcase’ sound chambers. How the angels must have wept the first time those 12V head exhaust ports were free to breathe more openly. But I digress...

Commuting with the new pipe was invigorating. And if I buzzed by my old ferret-loving fellow commuter in 3rd gear it got her all excited too! There were several mornings where I almost thought she liked it, but it was not so.

On the morning of The Greatest Commute Ever I came upon ‘ol PL in the left lane and, with a quickness in my left toe and right wrist, I grabbed 3rd gear in time to slip into the middle lane and zip around her... Just in time to see the wall of brake lights. Yeah, it was bad timing on my part as I was not focused far enough ahead. So we all come to a stop, with PL right behind me for probably the first time ever. And then we proceeded to begin the stop-and-go dance.

In case you don’t know, an early 12V VR6 with a mostly-open exhaust is actually pretty bassy at low RPMs. So every time we inched forward the back of my car was giving PL a nice break from that complete lack of aural stimulation that a Prius enforces upon its interior. Bunched up as we were I could clearly see her eyes widen and her lips mumble as I would start moving. Being a self-professed considerate type I thought maybe she would appreciate a change so as I rolled to a stop once again I blipped the throttle. If it works for Harley’s, right?

Let me tell you it did NOT work for PL. She began talking to me through her windshield for a moment before suddenly stopping and pressing her lips together in a hard line. The next time we moved I did it again, two revs this time. That got me approximately twice the amount of reaction. Now we all know that twice can be a coincidence but three times provides the proof, so next time I rolled to a stop I gave her the full tachometer sweep and PL came unglued.

I think the best word is apoplectic. Yeah, because it looked like her head was going to pop off. When my foot went down she looked like she was bouncing off some internal rev-limiter. I began revving the motor up and down, just sitting there. She must have rolled down her window because suddenly her shaking fist appeared outside the car over her driver’s mirror, proudly sporting a rigid middle finger.

By this point I’m laughing like a maniac at her completely useless, impotent rage. As I’m shaking my head something else catches my eye on the right and I look over to see the guy next to me waving like, ‘[censored], Man?’ from his full-size pickup. I point over my shoulder at erupting Prius Lady and he looks back, I see the light bulb come on in his head, and he starts laughing, too. And then he waved at me again and held up his index finger in that way that people use to indicate ‘wait just a moment’. He reached downward for something, then turned and smiled, and revved his diesel engine... Yeah.

He must have had dual exhausts because black smoke poured out of both sides at the back of his truck, right over perspicacious Prius Lady’s pristine Prius.

I admit, I laughed so hard that I peed a little.

Very funny, and insightful writing. Thanks for sharing.

The Prius is a car someone buys because they want it. It's none of anyone else's business. It's a car, a machine, an assembly of parts. Getting angry at a machine because you don't like it is strange.

The only good thing about the Prius is that the sales are declining for the last few years. Maybe at some point they'll just stop selling them.

People aren't angry at a machine, people are angry at the drivers who buy and drive those machines. Probably about 80% of them drive slow, the other 10% are normal and then maybe the other 10% try to drive them fast.

Why would people quit buying cars that have been documented to deliver over 6ooK? No they are probably still buying them when what they have is all used up.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I have nothing against 99% of Prius owners; that said, I LOVE this story from Jalopnik:

"The Prius Lady"

Well worth the read...

There are two types of slow drivers in the left lane. The Enforcers and the ADL.

The Enforcers are those drivers who will drive The Speed Limit no matter what, making sure everyone behind also drives The Speed Limit. Because it is Safe. Because it is The Law. These people must always be feeling the effects of the thin air at the extreme altitudes of their moral high ground because of the way they always look at you when you pass them on the right, They KNOW you are a bad person.

Then there is the ADL, aka the Anti-Destination League. They are the oblivious cousins to the Enforcers. This pox on humanity’s highways simply exists keep you from getting anywhere. Whether it is by driving 10mph slower than everyone else, riding the line with their blinker on for miles, or coming to a stop for free-flowing traffic at an on-ramp, these drivers somehow always manage to find their way into the left lane where they can inflict maximum chaos upon the driving masses. It must be a directive in the ADL Handbook. I’ve never actually read the thing...

This story is about a driver too disruptive for the Enforcer ranks, but I’m betting the ADL was too scared to take her on.

When I started commuting south into San Antonio every day it didn’t take long to start recognizing other cars. The lifted white F-150 with emergency lights and volunteer fire department stickers. The silver Miata with a hard top that I pass most mornings leaving New Braunfels. And the Prius Lady.

I called her the Prius Lady (PL) in reference to Dana Carvey’s Church Lady character from Saturday Night Live. You know the stereotype. Holier-than-thou because she drives the automotive equivalent to the Saviour of the environment. Drives 66mph in the left lane of a 70mph zone where everyone is already doing 75-80mph. Hey, I live in Central Texas, speeding is a constitutional right, right? Now you may think since I am on Jalopnik that maybe I simply profile every poor soul driving a Toyota ‘Pious’, but no.

There was only one Prius with an "I LOVE FERRETS" bumper sticker.

PL would always get on I-35 southbound at the Cibolo ramp, around 7:15am. She would put on her left turn signal and then come across two more lanes to the fast lane, all at that same 65-66mph speed. The momentum of all three lanes would stutter, brake lights flashing as everyone else adjusted to her speed and then jockeyed for position to go around her on the right. Not seeing her on the way in to work was a good commute. Coming up behind her and getting stuck there while traffic whipped by on the right sucked. Had my fair share of both.

In those days I was still driving my GTI VR6 and I can’t tell you how many times I buzzed by PL on the right in 3rd gear just to see the displeased look on her face at my combined disdain for traffic law and the environment. After a while my OEM exhaust had finally rotted away so I gleefully admit to fitting an aftermarket system along with one of the much-cussed/discussed cat-delete ‘test pipes’.

The Sound was Glorious.

I questioned all the years of my previously-held sanity, that I should not spend money that didn’t need to be spent, that I should not fix that which was not broken. But now I knew. Every VR6's soul was already broken straight from the factory. Saddled with the much-reviled ‘suitcase’ sound chambers. How the angels must have wept the first time those 12V head exhaust ports were free to breathe more openly. But I digress...

Commuting with the new pipe was invigorating. And if I buzzed by my old ferret-loving fellow commuter in 3rd gear it got her all excited too! There were several mornings where I almost thought she liked it, but it was not so.

On the morning of The Greatest Commute Ever I came upon ‘ol PL in the left lane and, with a quickness in my left toe and right wrist, I grabbed 3rd gear in time to slip into the middle lane and zip around her... Just in time to see the wall of brake lights. Yeah, it was bad timing on my part as I was not focused far enough ahead. So we all come to a stop, with PL right behind me for probably the first time ever. And then we proceeded to begin the stop-and-go dance.

In case you don’t know, an early 12V VR6 with a mostly-open exhaust is actually pretty bassy at low RPMs. So every time we inched forward the back of my car was giving PL a nice break from that complete lack of aural stimulation that a Prius enforces upon its interior. Bunched up as we were I could clearly see her eyes widen and her lips mumble as I would start moving. Being a self-professed considerate type I thought maybe she would appreciate a change so as I rolled to a stop once again I blipped the throttle. If it works for Harley’s, right?

Let me tell you it did NOT work for PL. She began talking to me through her windshield for a moment before suddenly stopping and pressing her lips together in a hard line. The next time we moved I did it again, two revs this time. That got me approximately twice the amount of reaction. Now we all know that twice can be a coincidence but three times provides the proof, so next time I rolled to a stop I gave her the full tachometer sweep and PL came unglued.

I think the best word is apoplectic. Yeah, because it looked like her head was going to pop off. When my foot went down she looked like she was bouncing off some internal rev-limiter. I began revving the motor up and down, just sitting there. She must have rolled down her window because suddenly her shaking fist appeared outside the car over her driver’s mirror, proudly sporting a rigid middle finger.

By this point I’m laughing like a maniac at her completely useless, impotent rage. As I’m shaking my head something else catches my eye on the right and I look over to see the guy next to me waving like, ‘[censored], Man?’ from his full-size pickup. I point over my shoulder at erupting Prius Lady and he looks back, I see the light bulb come on in his head, and he starts laughing, too. And then he waved at me again and held up his index finger in that way that people use to indicate ‘wait just a moment’. He reached downward for something, then turned and smiled, and revved his diesel engine... Yeah.

He must have had dual exhausts because black smoke poured out of both sides at the back of his truck, right over perspicacious Prius Lady’s pristine Prius.

I admit, I laughed so hard that I peed a little.

That is GOLD!

We have a local equivalent, he proudly has it plastered with big "52MPG vehicle" stickers and drives around like he is single-handedly saving the planet. My '87 GT T-top was likely far more obnoxious than the GTI above: off-road H-pipe and well broken-in Flowmaster 40's. The stink-eye I would get from that guy when I was in his vicinity was amusing, the utter contempt on his face when one blipped the throttle (and we all know what a V8 with no cats smells like) and dragged second was stitch-inducing.

There are some stories about various interactions with this guy from associates of mine, however that's for another time.

My wife has a shirt: "MY MOTORCYCLE GETS BETTER MILEAGE THAN YOUR PRIUS!" That has gotten some interesting reactions.

This thread ended up having longer legs than I would have expected.
My take-away is that most cars of any make are really pretty good.
My thread title may have been apt in that there are more than a couple of good makes of car out there.
I've ventured off the reservation and bought a new Ford back in the nineties.
It was an excellent machine in durability and reliability, so while I may prefer Japanese makes there is life beyond them.

Well, I know the anti-Prius lady. A college professor in a light blue Prius. And just go ahead and remove any political stereotype... she was an hardcore libertarian... and my dissertation adviser. She bought a Prius to pay less tax.

She would drive 45mph+ on a college campus. Open space was flooring space in her Prius. This from someone who was a PhD in Civil Engineering (transportation) who "knew better".
She also owns a F350 POS... errr, PSD. She was tagged in her Prius going 96 in a 70 zone (I know, I was in the car and I was sure I would be driving it to post bail ... but for some reason she was not arrested). For some reason, the trooper knocked it down to only 12 over or something but I was aghast.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

People aren't angry at a machine, people are angry at the drivers who buy and drive those machines.

I think this is true for a lot of things. I have no problem with the Prius itself, nor do I have a problem with lifted diesel trucks.

I do have a problem when someone in a Prius approaches me at a gas station complaining that I drive an old environment killing gas guzzler, or when someone in a diesel truck blows smoke in front of me for 10 miles.

My friend has a lifted Cherokee, and when he found a Toyota "hybrid" emblem on the ground in a parking lot he decided to glue it on the back of his hatch. It gets some interesting comments.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
My friend has a lifted Cherokee, and when he found a Toyota "hybrid" emblem on the ground in a parking lot he decided to glue it on the back of his hatch. It gets some interesting comments.
lol.gif

"diesel hybrid"?

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
There is a reason why I call it the Toyota Pious.

What do you think of the older Honda Insight? (They are really rare in my area)

...The Sound was Glorious....

MCompact, you deliver as always.....

Me, I'm cross shopping a Prius V and a Golf Sportwagen... common criteria=wagon

I think based on wife's comments, Prius v is going to win because of taller sitting chairs and gas consumption....

Hope to at least get some but/dyno time in both before decision time.....

The Prius is a decent little car that seems overpriced for what it is.
You'll never save enough fuel to make the price premium make sense, by my carful calculations.
OTOH, the Prius has proven to be one of Toyota's better vehicles in terms of durability and reliability, so there is that to consider.
I've looked at these cars from time to time and never found the overall value proposition compelling, but I'd have no problems buying and driving one if I did.
Obviously, if we were looking at four buck gas as far as the eye can see, a Prius would look a lot more compelling.
Instead, we're looking at sub three buck gas as far as the eye can see and there are better choices with that in mind.

I have to agree with the general point of this thread. It seems people hold onto old time automotive dogma like it was their last granola bar on a deserted island. I'm sure the fake automotive press has a lot to do with this as well. These ad men posing as car experts are well paid to "steer" people into the clients products. IMO the dark days of the U.S. auto industry (circa 1975 - 1993) wasn't an accident, but a well executed plan for a select few to make Huge money and launch the opening salvo in what we now refer to as "Globalism". Which I despise. Don't want to get too far off topic here but China will be the next superpower we must face. I sure hope everybody enjoys their cheap T.V's

There was an era when the Japanese brands were truly the best small cars you could buy hands down, but that era ended sometime back in the late nineties.
Meanwhile, certain Japanese makes rest upon their laurels while other brands have really upped their game.
To dismiss many makes and to focus only upon Honda and Toyota is an artifact that the masses have carried forward from the early adopters. They know only brand names but not current reality.
There was no conspiracy, either. There was only a failure to come up with compelling product in a segment that some makers saw as a low profit dead end that proved to be anything but.
That was my point.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The Prius is a decent little car that seems overpriced for what it is.
You'll never save enough fuel to make the price premium make sense, by my carful calculations.
OTOH, the Prius has proven to be one of Toyota's better vehicles in terms of durability and reliability, so there is that to consider.
I've looked at these cars from time to time and never found the overall value proposition compelling, but I'd have no problems buying and driving one if I did.
Obviously, if we were looking at four buck gas as far as the eye can see, a Prius would look a lot more compelling.
Instead, we're looking at sub three buck gas as far as the eye can see and there are better choices with that in mind.

Around here the gas price is usually around $3-3.5 per gallon of 87, and let's say you use a 33mpg Matrix vs a 55mpg Prius, it would make sense to buy a Prius at $21k instead of a Matrix at $18k if you plan to keep it for 10 years, if you do 20k miles a year. This is actually quite common.

The main reason around here for the Prius decline is the proliferation of free EV charging at workplace, and access to HOV lane with only the driver. People with long commutes have been switching to Leaf and charge at work during work hours.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

The main reason around here for the Prius decline is the proliferation of free EV charging at workplace, and access to HOV lane with only the driver. People with long commutes have been switching to Leaf and charge at work during work hours.

Maybe in California, but around here even in affluent business areas I hardly see any electric vehicles. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 Nissan Leafs in the last month, and maybe a handful of Teslas. Hybrids seem to be much more popular, from all brands.

And yet people will look the other way on reliability in exchange for status. (Euro cars) I just find it hard to believe that an entire industry which had been second to none for decades, seemingly overnight, became clueless and inept, all at the same time. Even more amazing, billions in trade was instantly ceded to foreign corporations. Nothing this massive happens by mistake. It was America's introduction to the NWO. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

People aren't angry at a machine, people are angry at the drivers who buy and drive those machines.

I think this is true for a lot of things. I have no problem with the Prius itself, nor do I have a problem with lifted diesel trucks.

I do have a problem when someone in a Prius approaches me at a gas station complaining that I drive an old environment killing gas guzzler, or when someone in a diesel truck blows smoke in front of me for 10 miles.

I'm only really mad at them for driving so slow and causing traffic. I just feel like shouting over to them, hate traffic? You ARE traffic. They're basically the cause of traffic, driving slow means everyone else has to slow down. Eventually everyone ends up going 10-20mph.

Anyway, I drive a Mercedes E-350, don't really care that much about gas mileage, I'd rather be in a bigger car that can get out of the way than in a tiny car that's a death trap. Drivers around here are crazy, there's lots of accidents where the driver gets killed and it's not the driver's fault. It's an older car so it's not really a status thing, but it did take me a while to find one that was loaded because it's mostly a status symbol, lots of base model Mercedes cars out there without any options. But the options that I have like the bixenons, panorama roof, front/rear parking senors, you don't get on regular cars. And most people are brain washed on the maintenance aspect of it. Yes it can be expensive if you go to the dealer, but that's true of regular cars too. Oh and it also has headlamp washers. Most American cars don't have them, nor most Japanese although I've seen them on a few models.

I have never seen a Prius holding up traffic. I have seen many slow driving American sedans tho.

Also no one has ever just walked up to me at a gas station and started talking to me. About anything.
Guess none of my rides are interesting/polarizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back