Honda's reason for multiple oil changes 1 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned in another Honda oil filter thread that I recently met someone who worked at Honda's engine plant in Columbus, OH. I had the opportunity to talk with him briefly this weekend about the reasoning for Honda's recommendation of using an oil filter for two oil change intervals. While he wasn't an official Honda employee at the plant, he did work for the company that provided the testing equipment for the engines and was permanently placed inside the plant to be able to troubleshoot any issues as they arise. Therefore, he was there as the testing was being conducted and saw everything with his own eyes as it happened and was able to discuss with Honda's engineers the various results and reasoning behind their decisions.

The first thing he told me was that Honda's testing showed that in a clean, properly functioning engine, the OE Honda filter can go two OCIs according to the MM without any issues. In fact, the testing proved that the filter can hold up to three OCIs before any potential issue crop up. The main one of those issues was the potential of the filter media to break down and dislodge from the filter. He stated that this was a very rare occurrence, but a possibility none the less.

With testing proving that the filter can go multiple OCIs, the reason that Honda recommends doing so is because they want to be viewed as an environmentally conscience company. Simply, they don't want a filter that can be run another OC to be wasted, so they recommend using it another go around. I see the logic with this, as across the large number of cars they sell every year it would cut the amount of old filters to be recycled/trashed in half.

Now the disclaimers. He also said that Honda knows full well that very few of their dealers actually follow the recommendation and change the filter every OC. Honda has no say in that practice, and they've found out that the major reason most dealers do this is to reduce any chance of a problem under warranty. The dealers figured out that warranty claims early in a car's life leads their customer to buy a different brand down the road, so anything they can do to get a repeat customer they do it. This is probably why Honda turns a blind eye to the practice, even though the data says otherwise.

And for the record, he also said that even though he's seen the data as proof, he still changes the filter in his personal cars every OC simply because even though they are under warranty the $8 cost of a new filter is a good investment compared to having to be without a car if anything would happen. I can't blame him for thinking this way even in the face of hard data saying otherwise, as I wouldn't want my family to be without the current vehicle if it had to sit at the dealer for weeks waiting to be fixed.

I think this is the closest we'll ever get to an official word from Honda why the recommend what they do for filters. He asked me not to use his name or what company he worked for, but was perfectly fine with posting on the internet what he had seen and heard during the testing process.

Thank you indeed for posting. I think that's what most of us had figured. Honda recommends using the filter for two oil changes because they know the filter is good for two oil changes, and why waste a good filter? Obviously, the other side of the coin is why risk it; just install a new filter each time.

Nothing wrong with either train of thought, though I'm sure it will be discussed much.

Thanks again.

For the extra cost(maybe 2 cents or less per day at 10K OCIs)I won't put 4 qts of new oil mixed with 1/4 to 1/2 of old oil. Honda should know better than this silly argument.

Whether he related the story accurately or not, it makes sense and sounds right and reasonable to me. In this case, I don't think there is a wrong answer... either method works. If you are Scottish in blood or spirit, you will go the second run, I not, just the one FCI. No wrong answer.

Good information.

I still think that changing oil but not the filter is like taking a shower and not putting on fresh underwear afterwards.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy

I still think that changing oil but not the filter is like taking a shower and not putting on fresh underwear afterwards.

A better analogy would be washing your hands and not putting on fresh underwear.

Someone that showers four times a day can likely go a few days between underwear changes, where someone that showers only once a week won't be fresh changing twice a day.

The most interesting detail of this story is that Honda dealers routinely skip replacing the filter.

Honda headquarters is in a unique position to track how their cars are serviced and how the dealer network behaves. They know how many cars are sold, warranty service frequency, and how many filters are sold.

They can pretty accurately estimate how often a filter change is skipped, and determine which dealers are the worst offenders. It must be a good fraction of dealers who cheat. If there were only a few, they would drop those from the dealer system.

Those are probably the same dealers that don't change gaskets unless the old one tears, and reuses torque-to-yield bolts.

I don't doubt that a filter can easily go two oil changes without a problem. Replacing the filter only every second oil change used to be standard, albeit with much shorter change intervals. But any place that takes a shortcut of not changing the filter 'this time', especially when it's difficult to reach, probably skips that same car every time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
For the extra cost(maybe 2 cents or less per day at 10K OCIs)I won't put 4 qts of new oil mixed with 1/4 to 1/2 of old oil. Honda should know better than this silly argument.

+1

On aircraft, it's common around here to change oil at 25 hour intervals, without changing the filter. The specified OCI is 100 hours, but many owners report fewer internal corrosion issues with frequent changes.

When I get one of those "multi change filters" in my hand, I always cut it open to see if I can find any issues. Not once have I seen anything other than a clean and effective filter that probably could have been used for 4 more, 25 hour oil changes.

Originally Posted By: tig1

The "cost" of the filter is more than the price you pay at the counter. Used oil filters are increasingly problematic in terms of landfilling and recycling. North Carolina passed a law last year that bans oil filters from a landfill. Basically, it's illegal to throw an oil filter into the trash--it must be recycled. There's a cost associated with capturing and dealing with a hazardous waste (the used oil from the filter). This is a process that requires labor ($$) and energy ($$). As leachate from landfills falls under increased scrutiny, I think you'll see more pressure to ban these types of things from landfills.

If we reduce waste (especially when the product is still serviceable), we save landfill space and we save energy and tax dollars that would otherwise be used to crush good oil filters. There's nothing silly in that.

In Lancaster County, PA where I used to live, they have an enormous trash incinerator that has been in use and complying with all air and other standards for 20 years or so. I think this is really the way to handle trash. Everything that burns is gone in the extremely high temps used and electric power is generated. The stack gases are scrubbed and HCl from PVC, etc is prcipitated as CaCl2, for example. Oil filters are completely burned out, leaving the steel shell which can be recycled. There is no worry about oil leachate. The problem is these incinerators are BIG BUCKS to install and operate.

Sounds reasonable but I have some thoughts. The filter recommendation for every other oci dates at least to 1996 well before a MM was used.

Also if 'the data' shows that the filter is good for two ocis, then the chances of any resulting damage from such practice should be nill.

And what does it say about American Honda when they have "no say" over the service practices of their dealer network? I'd say if true, that's very poor management imo. Whatever the reason, it is SOP at Honda dealers to ignore the fci recommendation.

While I own Hondas, I've never bought into the entirety of the Honda kool aid. But the fci recommendation is one it seems, that even the most ardent Honda fanatic routinely ignores.

I do short enough OCIs that If I changed my filter every 2 changes it would still be run shorter then most cars on the road. Because the OCIs are so short leaving the filter on leaves no "old" oil in the engine since The oil inside isn't old yet. The only extra stress the filter is going to go threw is facing 95% fresh oil half way threw it's life....

Interesting information for sure.

Couple of points from me:

1. If Honda recommends 2 intervals on one of their oil filters, then you know that statistically this is ok and a very minimal risk. Honda would loose their axx if these filters started failing a 1.5 intervals.

2. Implementation really gets tricky with those consumers that bounce around oil change shops. I could see it only really working if people religiously used Honda dealers for service, and that would depend on if all the dealers that consumer visited were honest, ie, a dealer slaps a filter on the ticket but does not change it to get the extra $$.

I hear what you're saying about Honda not trying to police their dealers, but dealers are independently owned franchises and Honda has limited say over how they operate. Dealers are able to establish their own operating policies as long as they don't fall below the standard that Honda sets.

Now, if dealers were only changing the filter every third OC, then Honda could step in and do something about it. Since they are going above the minimum that Honda has set, they are still in compliance with their franchise agreement.

Another thing I found odd when contacting local Honda dealers is that none of them seem to want to carry the HGMO, but instead all use M1 0W-20 for new vehicles. Not that M1 is bad, but I'd think that they'd at least carry the HGMO for those that wanted it.

I run Honda OEM oil filters and am considering changing the filter ever other OCI. I like the thought of fewer dry starts.

Implementation of filter changes per two oil changes is actually easy. Maintenance Minder on my 2006 and 2007 Accords has separate codes for "oil change" and "oil and filter change" (A and B).

I skipped filter changes a bunch of times when "A" code was shown. Not only that, I skipped a couple filter changes on my 2004 Infiniti G35 when I had an oversized Bosch Distance Plus installed. Although the mileage on those OCIs was short, they were 1 year apart, so I used that filter for 3 OCIs over 3 years. The result: super-clean under the engine cover and no issues so speak of.

All the nonsensical talk about clean underwear aside, when the manufacturer has been recommending something for ages, with no apparent ill effects, it makes sense to follow that recommendation.

I've had Honda vehicles over the years and have never seen or heard of a dealer service not changing the filter with an oil change.
I change the filter every change.

Oil is another topic beyond the filter recommendation. The OM recommendation doesn't specifically recommend an oil, just that it meets the specific API specs etc. There is a "preference" now but not a recommendation like the filter interval recommendation.

And, if American Honda has "no say" over the dealers following the fci recommendation, then it being an environmentally conscious company is only paying lip service to idea, not the practice in real life. Makes me think even less of the recommendation when real world it's for appearances sake. Either way, still think poor AH management practice imo.

Clearly most believe it's a trifle recommendation anyway, including Honda dealers.

I would argue that what makes you sure that the new filter is good and not defective while the one installed you already know is good and is perfectly capable of lasting another OCI. Just a though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back