Changing filter every other OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda's manual says to change filter every other OCI. I've always felt it is better to change filter each time you change the oil. Is there any reason Honda feels this way? Are there other manufacturers that suggest every other filter changes? What are your thoughts on this recommendation?

Hello,

This is my first post here after lurking for some time. I just can't bring myself to do what Honda recommends. Only if the enviroment (green police)come and make me. Why use a dirty filter with clean oil?

The manual recommends the oil only change at 5000 and then oil plus filter at 10000. That's pushing it I think. Varnish will almost certainly build up.

I'm all for it, if you use a filter that will stand up to the requirements. I used a Wix 51365 for almost 7000 miles with insolubles at less than 0.1%. Dog-gone stellar. I think it's a waste to throw them out every time. I'm going 7500 miles on the oil with every-other filter changes, and doing the UOA's to back it up. It works, people.

Furthermore: this is not how "varnish" occurs...don't speculate if you don't have some facts to back it up...that's how unsubstantiated rumors begin.

I take off the filter, drain it and clean it up a bit. I then re-install the filter and use it again. There are tons of folks that use the every other oil filter change method.

My $.02 worth--- I believe that some filter studies show that the filter becomes more efficient as it is used. Maybe Honda has found this to be true.Years ago with the big 1qt. filters, I used an every other change interval. I am still debating about my Honda though.Has anyone done any oil analysis to come to a conclusion?

Quote:

Furthermore: this is not how "varnish" occurs...

Pushing the OCI too far is exactly one of the reasons varnish builds up. Please enlighten me as to how pushing the OCI doesn't increase the likelyhood of varnish build up?
Add a dirty filter on top of it and you compound the problem. A clean filter is always better no matter how you look at it. Would you use a dirty coffee filter to make your next pot of coffee?
ooo.gif

Quote:

My $.02 worth--- I believe that some filter studies show that the filter becomes more efficient as it is used.

More efficient in what way? As it becomes clogged it almost certainly would lose efficiency.

There was a UOA not long ago where the filter was changed every other OC and the UOA was stellar, albeit it was a honda uoa. Terry also approved the filter change interval and also made the comment that the filter becomes more efficient. I would definately follow his advise.

Quote:

There was a UOA not long ago where the filter was changed every other OC and the UOA was stellar, albeit it was a honda uoa. Terry also approved the filter change interval and also made the comment that the filter becomes more efficient. I would definately follow his advise.

That certainly may be, but I will stick to changing my filter at the time of the oil change. At some point the efficiency will go down. Does the UOA predict when this will happen?

Quote:

My Honda's manual says to change filter every other OCI. I've always felt it is better to change filter each time you change the oil. Is there any reason Honda feels this way? Are there other manufacturers that suggest every other filter changes? What are your thoughts on this recommendation?

Both Honda and the oil gurus here know their stuff. I remove mine - drain it - then reinstall it for dino applications. The filter gets 7K intervals. My synthetic oil vehicles get the filter changed with every oil change... usually at 6.5K.

Yep. Often, I re-use the filter, mostly on dino apps where oil is changed at 6000-ish miles....especially on MiL's car where I am not re-embursed. I just did it on my 2006 Acura, drained and re-used the M1 filter....with M1 oil changed a lil early this time at 6000mi. Since I have the option of $2 ST filters on that car, and I am using synth exclusively, I will not reuse the $2 filter with $30 worth of oil. I do drain them well if they are to be re-used, especially the big Audi filters. Maybe that is part of why Honda went to the lil-guy lemon sized filter, less oil left behind in it if the crankcase is drained.

That certainly may be, but I will stick to changing my filter at the time of the oil change. At some point the efficiency will go down. Does the UOA predict when this will happen?

UOA's can demonstrate decreased effectiveness by an increase in insolubles, when compared to other UOA's in the same vehicle.

oem Audi Mann filters say "2 years/30,000km" on the side. Honda thinks the filters are good for 20,000 miles and Mobil seem to think 15,0000 miles is a breeze.

If your going to leave the filter on, at least take it off and drain as much of the old oil out as possible. Most of my filter hold almost 1qt and cost like $3.

Quote:

While my older Honda manuals don't have this recommendation, their filters are rather small. I wonder if newer models have bigger filters?

Nope, the new Hondas (I have a 2006 Ridgeline) have small filters. The A01 filters made by Nippon and Filtech and the Honywell/Fram A02 filters are very small. I doubt they hold more than half a quart. Because they are so small I don't think it is worth draining and reusing - either change the filter or keep it on.

The only time I will reuse a filter is in such an instance as when my 1978 Ford truck which is not licensed for the road goes less than 100 miles since the last oil change but its been a year. I need to get that oil out of there but hardly any oil has gone through the filter yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back