hondas and amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
want to hear from honda owners or acura who have used amsoil atf for a z-1 replacement. and what your experience is with it did you like it or not?

Hi there,
I've been using Amsoil ATF in my Integra for the past 2.5 years and I love it so far. Still shifts exactly the way it did 40,000 miles ago when I purchased it and had the fluid drained and refilled. I've been doing it twice a year but I'm going to 1 drain/refill a year now, because it's so easy to do on this car.

I'm running Amsoil in my '89 Accord transmission, although this is back before Z1, Honda actually speced Dexron II for mine. So far shifts great.

Originally Posted By: TeachMeOil
ThirdeYE, why do you change it so often, I thought it was a 20,000 mile service?

15,000 miles under severe service and 30,000 miles for normal service. I do it often because it's very easy to do and I feel it's cheap insurance for a potentially costly repair, especially as it's getting up there in miles. I can't afford a new transmission right now, and I feel proactive preventative maintenance is key. I'm sure it would've probably lasted just fine doing the recommended amount, but like I said, it's easy enough to do it once or twice a year. Plus, as these transmissions are designed I only get 2.5 quarts out at a time. If it was a car that I drop the pan on and replace most of the fluid in, I wouldn't do it this often that's for sure.
55.gif

dropping the pan is only part of it.

make sure you pull a cooler line and pump it ALL out once in a while.

The procedure is on here, super easy.

No pan or filter, just a plug. Honda recommends changing the cush washer under the plug each time the plug is removed. You'll need a breaker bar to remove the plug the first time. Drain and fill every 30K is a great way to keep the fluid fresh. I've always used Z-1 purchaced from the dealer. Yeah, I know its overpriced but it is the correct fluid for the tranmission and shift quality remains good at 140,000 miles.

I've used it on and off with Z1 for about 110k miles now. '01 Civic with 200k miles on it. I drain and fill every 15-20k miles.

I've never replaced the washer under the plug. Hasn't leaked yet.

I ran my last Amsoil run with a magnifine for 50K. My Dad's Voyager I ran with a magnifine for 85K. The pan and magnifine were spotless. In fact the Voyager rebuilt trans was broke in on the Amsoil fluid.

The trans fluid in both cars was still very red.

I believe Amsoil is rated 50K for severe service, and 100K for regular service.

I've used z1, amsoil, and castrol import. Out of the three I like the castrol import the best. It shifts smooth and is cheaper than the other two. I also like it better than the amsoil because its made for asian AT's and they claim it exceeds JASO-1A standard. I also change at 15k so amsoil seems like a waste of $$$$

I have used the Amsoil ATF in my Civic for 162,000 miles, and now with 282,000 miles total on it, I am very please with the transmissions performance. I can recommend ATF for 92-95 Honda Civic transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back