Mitsu outlander trans questions!!

Ok, have a outlander 2014 diesel with 110k miles. Are replacing atf and gear oil this spring.
It says ”hypoid gear oil API GL5 sae80” Now, what would be the best choise for that spec? A 75w80? What do you think?

In gearbox it says ”Mitsubishi genuine ATF-j3”. Should I go original on this or anyone with good experience with some other brand?

What does ATF-j3 require as a spec? I'd look to see if any synthetic oils meet that. Not sure where you're located but I've always had good luck with Royal Purple in my Mazda rx-7

The GL5 has a higher dose of sulphur phosphorous compounds which are bad for yellow metal transmission parts like bushings and synchro gears.
A GL5 in 75W-80 would be just fine.
Check with Mitsubishi sites; maybe a 85w-140 is OK.
Ford has given its blessing to such 'thicker' gear oil for my older Ranger, but I don't deal with Swedish Winters.

I assume you have a stepped transmission not a CVT.
Buying Mitsubishi fluid online is easy enough to do and doesn't cost that much more.
There are synthetic multi-ATFs which cover your J3 needs. However, when my friends had Outlanders (2011 + 2014), I recall the Mitsubishi J3/Diaqueen 3 spec was often not on the label.
That might be all the "argument" you need to buy genuine.

Last edited:
Ok, have a outlander 2014 diesel with 110k miles. Are replacing atf and gear oil this spring.
It says ”hypoid gear oil API GL5 sae80” Now, what would be the best choise for that spec? A 75w80? What do you think?

In gearbox it says ”Mitsubishi genuine ATF-j3”. Should I go original on this or anyone with good experience with some other brand?
Gear oil? Synthetic 75W-90 GL5 will be perfect and there will be ZERO negative impact and possibly some positive wear protection from the very slight increase in 100°C viscosity.

I'd just go with the OEM Diaqueen fluid. I had an Evo x that spec'd slightly different fluids but in my experience the Diaqueen fluid performed the same/better than some of the boutique brands.

Ok thanks! I found Mobil1 sae 75w90 gl5 at home, I’ll use that for the diffs!
Then I have to find j3 from Mitsu then!

Back