Honda's and 20 weight oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been pointed out before but Honda has no need to squeak that extra .25-.5 mpg out of their vehicles, they get excellent fuel economy with or without the 5-20.
Since Ford sales are mostly trucks I can see the need for the extra mpg to meet CAFE with the thinner oil.
The debate over 5-20 vs 5-30, 10-30 will go on but, as mentioned, the UOA's of the 5-20 oils that meet the Ford and Honda specs are all very good.
Why are different oils specified for the same cars/trucks in other countries? Got me by the short hairs, perhaps mere mortals are not meant to know such things.

This thread is great because it disproves the "different grades are requ'd different engines theory" since the same engine calls for different viscosities depending on where the car is driven. ie. ambient temperature....what I've been saying all along.

The 5-20 (hopefully) will get you through the warranty period as long as you follow the "severe" schedule. Otherwise, Honda will tell you you didn't and should have...and the car will need to be replaced by that time or soon there after...again, more money for Honda.

Thanks for all the replies (especially 427's reply
about temp and viscosity). The Valvoline change won't be in there for too long.....I'm planning on using Mobil 1 5w-30 year round since it's sorta a very thick 20 weight anyhow.

Lukey

As frequent visitors here know, if you at at the UOA section, you'll see many UOAs for Hondas with various Xw-20 and Xw-30 oils. People have had good results with various oils, both 20 and 30 weight. Regarding the criticisms thrown at Honda in this thread: Does anyone have firsthand knowledge of oil-related Honda engine failures? We have six Hondas across our the family, some for more than 15 years, nothing even close to an oil-related problem.

I had a great UOA for our 02 Accord V6 with Pennzoil 5W-20, genuine evidence vs. the amazing bogus info spread here and elsewhere about Pennzoil. Our friend 427 and others have seen very good results with M1 0w-20, 5W-30 and GC 0W-30. Schaeffers 5W-30 blend, another great oil. So, lukey: fret not. You can feel comfortable that any of these good 20 and 30 weight oils will do fine for your Honda, changed on a reasonable interval.

quote:

Originally posted by scooter996:
Honda and Ford did it for CAFE #'s. You will also see upcoming Dodge Heli's coming factory fill with 5W20 as well

Hate to beat a "dead horse" but what is your point. Honda's and Ford's that are spec'd for 5W-20 oil have been proven by UOA's on this site to do really well using those "water thin" oils
rolleyes.gif
. So what if it was done for CAFE originally. The end results have been real good. Many people just can't shake the "thickerer is betterer" syndrome.

Whimsey

quote:

One more important part is that Honda tend to design their engine so that DIY is a PIA (pain in the @SS)

I own both a civic and an expedition. So far no maintenance I've done has taken more than half an hour on the honda (55,000 miles on the clock). I would invite the author of the above quote to change the plugs in a civic and then in a 5.4 expedition then tell me which is a pain in the @ss!

No hijacking intended, but someone had to point that out.

I dont have a problem with it adn am not starting an arguement fot it. Someone asked above why and this is a reason why. I am just telling you what the Honda Factory reps told us. Everybody knows you will get better gas mileage with a 0w30 than a 10w30. Thats why the Ow30 is called enhanced fuel economy. Want to talk about a pain in the *** ever try to get the oil filler off a 1998 accord 4 cylinder. Its a bloddy nightmare. I am agreeing with you is a good thing they did this. Northstars are next.

quote:

Want to talk about a pain in the *** ever try to get the oil filler off a 1998 accord 4 cylinder.

Nope, haven't tried that one so I'll take your word for it, but those plugs on the expedition are going to make me think twice about the next ford purchase. I guess every model has its peculiarities. The civic seems to have had a lot of skull-sweat put into it in the design phase though, pretty easy to maintain.

Regarding the 0w30 getting better mileage than 10w30. Not sure I'd agree, at least that was not the case in my experience. I guess it depends on the oil and the vehicle using it.

Scooter 996 quoth:
quote:

Want to talk about a pain in the *** ever try to get the oil filler off a 1998 accord 4 cylinder. Its a bloddy nightmare.

Yep, and there's a whole bunch of other things that are a PITA for the Honda.
Is the oil filter in a better place on the V-6 Accords?

When using Mobil 1 0w30 vs 10w30 you WILL get better gas mileage. Mobil doesnt mkae claims without documnetation. Nobody does in this industry. I drive 3,000 miles a month so as small a gain as it might be its a gain and I have seen an improvement. I tried to change it once thinking it would be simple but I am not a DIY. Thats what the dealerships I trust are for. Oil isnt rocket science.

For the other question:
WHO-John Wiggel and Ron Hopkins-HONDA CORP. Northern Ohio area reps among various ExxonMobil techs
HOW-over numerous proposals with customers
WHEN According to the ENGINE OIL APPLICATION PLAN that I have been given by ExxonMobil "who make the Honda product for them"Factory fill of 5W30 stopped in 2000 for civics and accords. Service fill will revert back to 1996 for civics and 1997 for accords.
WHY-again better cafe numbers

quote:

Originally posted by farang:
All I see from Honda:
-Use cheaper and cheaper part so it will cut cost.
-Cheap part broke easier, more profit on replacement part.
-For the 5-20w, Honda did that to lower it emission, increase MPG (because Uncle Sams said they have to do so, otherwise, here is the bill, pay it).
-One more important part is that Honda tend to design their engine so that DIY is a PIA (pain in the @SS) [/QB]

Uhh, yeahhh... I'm gonna have to, ahh, disagree with you there bob. You see, peter's been having some problems with his TPS reports lately...

I dunno about you, but the maintenance on my civic 03 couldn't be that much easier. The only bonehead thing they did was the macpherson strut towers, but that was to improve the ride. Oil changes are a snap, brakes are an hour at most, and the only cheap part I've found on the car is the drivers seat because sometimes it will rock a bit.

quote:

and the only cheap part I've found on the car is the drivers seat because sometimes it will rock a bit.

lol.gif

Rock on brother, my 02 does too. That and an inexplicable dull thud when you hit a bump. Still don't know where that comes from, but it hasn't hurt anything
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by farang:

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
I personally would put in the Honda what Honda says to. If they think a 5W20 is good -why argue? Honda know their engines.

Really? Since when Honda know their engine? All I see from Honda:
-For the 5-20w, Honda did that to lower it emission, increase MPG (because Uncle Sams said they have to do so, otherwise, here is the bill, pay it).
-One more important part is that Honda tend to design their engine so that DIY is a PIA (pain in the @SS)

offtopic.gif

Is your most reliable car pick a Daewoo or a Hundai????

"Really? Since when Honda know their engine? All I see from Honda:
One more important part is that Honda tend to design their engine so that DIY is a PIA (pain in the @SS"

"Is your most reliable car pick a Daewoo or a Hundai????"

Agreed, the argument(if it can be called that) is without merit. Honda & Toyota lead the way in coupes and sedans even to those that are blind to progress. Frankly, I wish it was GM,Ford, or Mopar that led the way but it is not.

Farang you must step forward into the current time, in spite of yourself.

quote:

Originally posted by RTexasF:
...Honda & Toyota lead the way in coupes and sedans even to those that are blind to progress...

It sounds to me like he has reasons for his opinion. Speaking of current time, do you own a 2001 or newer Honda?

Edit-reading your posts I see you do, what has your experience been like?

[ December 17, 2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Tones ]

"It sounds to me like he has reasons for his opinion. Speaking of current time, do you own a 2001 or newer Honda?
Edit-reading your posts I see you do, what has your experience been like?"

You are, of course, correct. All are entitled to their opinion, I was too harsh and apologize to Farang.

We have an '03 Corolla and an '04 Accord.I am pleased with both. Prior to the Accord I had a Corolla and a Mazda 626. Exceptional quality, fit & finish and easy on fuel apply to all, present and past.

offtopic.gif
Having said that I had an '84 Buick 3.8L V-6 prior to any of the above cars that was absolutely bullet proof. It couldn't get out of its own way but it never left me stranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back