Honda VCM Disabling Questions

So you ignore the MM, and Hondas choice of oil grade altogether.

Curious, how is the VCM very hard on the oil when it only activates and extremely low loads?

How are these front 3 cylinders somehow hotter at 5-7% throttle at low speeds on flat ground, than they would be at 30-40% say climbing a hill in 100 degree weather?
The owners manual says to use conventional oil. The maintenance minder recommends an oil change anywhere from 5,000 miles to 7,500 miles depending on driving. This sounded great on paper, but the owner's manual writers didn't know that when the VCM is on with the Eco light on the dashboard on, and the rear bank of 3 cylinders by the firewall turn off, that the front 3 cylinder heads get extreme temperatures with an inadequate PCV valve design, which cooks the oil. So on most Odysseys, the front 3 cylinder head has a lot of varnish.

See post # 17 in this thread:

A mechanic who has worked on these 2006/2007 Odysseys sees those engines sludging up rather easily when people follow the maintenance minder with conventional 5W-20 oil. The sludge gets so bad that the engine goes into limp mode.

He recommends 3k OCI with Full Synthetic 30 or 40 weight oil. The same engine was speced in Germany for 5W-40.
4k is the absolute limit (which I do). 5k OCI is not a good choice unless you muzzle the VCM.
The 20 weight oil was part of the problem, as it got overwhelmed by the extreme heat.

The owners manual says to use conventional oil. The maintenance minder recommends an oil change anywhere from 5,000 miles to 7,500 miles depending on driving. This sounded great on paper, but the owner's manual writers didn't know that when the VCM is on with the Eco light on the dashboard on, and the rear bank of 3 cylinders by the firewall turn off, that the front 3 cylinder heads get extreme temperatures with an inadequate PCV valve design, which cooks the oil. So on most Odysseys, the front 3 cylinder head has a lot of varnish.

See post # 17 in this thread:

A mechanic who has worked on these 2006/2007 Odysseys sees those engines sludging up rather easily when people follow the maintenance minder with conventional 5W-20 oil. The sludge gets so bad that the engine goes into limp mode.

He recommends 3k OCI with Full Synthetic 30 or 40 weight oil. The same engine was speced in Germany for 5W-40.
4k is the absolute limit (which I do). 5k OCI is not a good choice unless you muzzle the VCM.
The 20 weight oil was part of the problem, as it got overwhelmed by the extreme heat.

I didnt note what years your odysseys were, I saw the 2014 thread.

My ridgeline uses VCM gen 3, and the oil spec calls for API SN 0w-20.

Im uncertain prior info applies.

I didnt note what years your odysseys were, I saw the 2014 thread.

My ridgeline uses VCM gen 3, and the oil spec calls for API SN 0w-20.

Im uncertain prior info applies.
The thread initially was talking about 2014 Odysseys with VCM, but post #17 in that thread refers to 2005 to 2007 Odysseys.

I prefer to only run 5W-30 Full Synthetic and do 4k/6month OCI in any vehicle I own.
If you were to check the owner's manual for your exact same engine in Europe or Australia, it would likely specify 5W-30 or 5W-40 as choices for the exact same engine. Automakers have to specify the thin oils in the US owners manuals and test the MPG on that same thin oil to avoid CAFE fines. But in my opinion, 20 weight oils with the low HTHS are not optimal for these engines.
Just google this: HTHS wear graph.

Vcm tuner II here since 25k miles in my’09, 60k miles now and extremely happy without vcm

I had S-vcm previously but it failed after 2yrs during a 115f degree heatwave, others on Accord forums have noted similar issues with the s-vcm, so i moved to vcm tuner and Ben all good since

The thread initially was talking about 2014 Odysseys with VCM, but post #17 in that thread refers to 2005 to 2007 Odysseys.

I prefer to only run 5W-30 Full Synthetic and do 4k/6month OCI in any vehicle I own.
If you were to check the owner's manual for your exact same engine in Europe or Australia, it would likely specify 5W-30 or 5W-40 as choices for the exact same engine. Automakers have to specify the thin oils in the US owners manuals and test the MPG on that same thin oil to avoid CAFE fines. But in my opinion, 20 weight oils with the low HTHS are not optimal for these engines.
Just google this: HTHS wear graph.

I've heard "it's in the manual" over there, and that various countries spec diff grades, but never actually seen this, it is common for a range of grades to be in spec.

Im sure 0w40 would work fine, and maybe if I towed all day every day I'd run it. I run 0w40 lots of places.

Although I didnt run low HTHS oils prior I'm pretty confident my HPL 0w20, Fram ultra, and filtermags will protect me, and return great mileage while doing it. Especially when primarily a freeway flyer.

I've heard "it's in the manual" over there, and that various countries spec diff grades, but never actually seen this, it is common for a range of grades to be in spec.

Im sure 0w40 would work fine, and maybe if I towed all day every day I'd run it. I run 0w40 lots of places.

Although I didnt run low HTHS oils prior I'm pretty confident my HPL 0w20, Fram ultra, and filtermags will protect me, and return great mileage while doing it. Especially when primarily a freeway flyer.
Fram Ultra is a great filter, HPL is a great oil which should keep your engine clean with it's high Ester content.

I have 4 Honda Odyssey's with VCM.
I keep the VCM enabled on all of them for the fuel efficiency gains of running on 3 cylinders.
I drive with a light foot and I hypermile them by and maintaining momentum / coasting with foot on floor as much as possible.
I've been able to get 25 to 27 MPG on them doing rural and high way driving (I have scan gauge on each dash to monitor real time MPG).
My excel spreadsheet of gasoline purchases with mileages has verified the scan gauge MPG numbers.

VCM is very hard on the oil, with extreme engine temps over the front 3 cylinder heads which can cook the oil and turn it
into varnish or sludge.

With VCM enabled, it's important to use a short oil change interval.
See post #17 on this thread:

The OCI I use is: 4k miles/6 months which ever comes first with a good full synthetic 5W-30 (not 20 weight oil).
You quote my thread, but I have had vcm disabled from more or less new, and have only re-enabled it for a few hundred miles since.

So I’m not sure your claim about sludge and varnish is due to vcm.

After all, the deactivated bank is still pumping air. So it will be cool. The other bank will be running, but there is no objective evidence that since this gets enabled when load is non-transient and relatively low, that it’s going to cook anything.

PXL_20230422_010813832.jpg

Highly recommend the VCM Tuner II...here is a pic of my MDX with the device installed on the battery tray clamp screw. I added a grounding wire with a small clamp on the end (attached to plastic battery carry handle in the pic so not grounded here) but it allows me to ground the device in 5 seconds under the hood for long trips when I want the VCM to function for economy purposes. Through the firewall to a dash switch would be awesome but I don't activate it enough to warrant doing that. Not sure about S-VCM but the Tuner II has an accelerometer...when not in motion for a couple of minutes it deactivates so coolant temp readings are accurate for diagnostics, etc.

You quote my thread, but I have had vcm disabled from more or less new, and have only re-enabled it for a few hundred miles since.

So I’m not sure your claim about sludge and varnish is due to vcm.

After all, the deactivated bank is still pumping air. So it will be cool. The other bank will be running, but there is no objective evidence that since this gets enabled when load is non-transient and relatively low, that it’s going to cook anything.
Everyone who muzzles their VCM seems happy afterwards based on their posts on various forums. I'm glad you are satisfied too.

If you search BITOG, there are several threads on the sludge caused by following the maintenance minder OCI's on the Honda J35 engines with VCM.

Short trippers, and people who do longer than 4k OCI with conventional oil, seem most prevalent to the sludge.

Here is one such thread - see post # 17 on page 1:

In any event, I prefer to do a short 4k/6month OCI with full synthetic 5W-30, and this should guarantee I won't ever run into any sludge in these engines. So far so good.

2016 Odyssey here. I started with a 100 ohm resistor but got CEL at times for p0128. I then changed to an 80 ohm resistor and it’s been good since then. If the vehicle is in traffic or idling for quite a while it will still creep the temp up to go into VCM mode for a very short time till the temp goes down with movement of air cooling while driving.

No issues just positive. A buck or whatever for a 10 pack of resistors. Cut 1 wire and place that resistor in line. Tape it up and you really can’t tell what so ever.

Sure there are fancy 80-100 dollar units that claim they do this and that and they might but you are just basically buying a resistor to fool the temp reading into lower non VCM mode under most conditions

Everyone who muzzles their VCM seems happy afterwards based on their posts on various forums. I'm glad you are satisfied too.

If you search BITOG, there are several threads on the sludge caused by following the maintenance minder OCI's on the Honda J35 engines with VCM.

Short trippers, and people who do longer than 4k OCI with conventional oil, seem most prevalent to the sludge.

Here is one such thread - see post # 17 on page 1:

In any event, I prefer to do a short 4k/6month OCI with full synthetic 5W-30, and this should guarantee I won't ever run into any sludge in these engines. So far so good.
Again you quoted my thread.

My point is that vcm doesn’t seem to avoid sludge or varnish, and isn’t a panacea other than maybe some ring and some mount related issues.

2016 Odyssey here. I started with a 100 ohm resistor but got CEL at times for p0128. I then changed to an 80 ohm resistor and it’s been good since then. If the vehicle is in traffic or idling for quite a while it will still creep the temp up to go into VCM mode for a very short time till the temp goes down with movement of air cooling while driving.

No issues just positive. A buck or whatever for a 10 pack of resistors. Cut 1 wire and place that resistor in line. Tape it up and you really can’t tell what so ever.

Sure there are fancy 80-100 dollar units that claim they do this and that and they might but you are just basically buying a resistor to fool the temp reading into lower non VCM mode under most conditions
Thanks for that but how or where does one install it?

There is a coolant temp sensor on the left (drivers) side of the engine. You disconnect the wire connector. Cut one of the wires. Doesn’t matter which and install the resistor in place. Tape back up done deal.

The VCM muzzler 2 etc just give you a connector so you don’t have to cut anything and a pack of resistors you use

I went a different route. I decided to buy a tuner and disable VCM within the PCM. Coolant temp is correct and VCM is permanently disabled. Plus I just wanted to get a tuner.
What tuner did you use?

I researched VCM disablers before buying my new Ridgeline, but then I couldn’t find anyone who had problems with the current VCM3. I decided to hold off for now because I’m not sure if it’s necessary anymore.

I’m curious what you can do with your tuner—maybe that would be worth getting if it can do more than 1 thing.

Last edited:
There is a coolant temp sensor on the left (drivers) side of the engine. You disconnect the wire connector. Cut one of the wires. Doesn’t matter which and install the resistor in place. Tape back up done deal.

The VCM muzzler 2 etc just give you a connector so you don’t have to cut anything and a pack of resistors you use
Thanks for that. How many resistors did they throw in? Values?

Any Honda VCM disabling knowledgeable people here?

Likely buying a new Honda w/ v6 and VCM. I’ve never liked the idea of cylinders shutting down on anything. At least Honda doesn’t seem to have mechanical failures (lifters) that can still arise even if VCM is disabled. I know they clog up and get sticky piston rings, but if it’s disabled and well maintained I would think this is a non-issue.

My concern is all the VCM disables are simply skewing the coolant temp. I’ve tried to read up on it. Some claim they have a “processor” that tricks the coolant temp, but still relays the actual temp at the same time? I’m not techy, but sounds like some BS? How is it good for any modern computer controlled car to think engine temp is in the 160s all the time? In my mind that’s doing other harm, although obviously disabling the VCM which is the main point.

S-VCM and VCM Muzzler II claim they aren’t using a fixed resistor, that they have a logic and blah blah.

Are any of these VCM disablers legit? Would you use them on a new car? The advantage to S-VCM is it’s plug n play and could be removed in a matter of minutes for warranty work, but I don’t understand how it achieves its goal if it does (and doesn’t) skew the coolant temp readings all at the same time??

Just wondering if there’s any experts or anyone who understands this more that can shed some light. These guys on the Honda and Acura boards are just gung-ho “do it, add some Techron, and you’ll solve all your cars problems ever, even if it was burning 2 quarts per thousand miles, this will 100% fix it all”
I have 1 on my 2015 ody for the last year and a half with no issues at all.

Vcm is garbage and is trashing piston rings and gumming up engines.

I use vcmtuner2. If there is an overheat condition it bypasses and allows the warning on the dash to come on.

Yes muzzle, PEA cleaner, new plugs and drive it like you stole it.
Will clean your rings up in no time.

Do it.

Back