Honda to discontinue lawn mowers September 2023

Of you don't like constantly replacing batteries on mowers, then get a corded mower.

Probably not profitable enough for Honda, and/or maybe they want the factory space for something else to help alleviate some of their supply chain issues.

We were using off the shelf GX690 engines (made in China) on our equipment as an OEM. Honda ran out of them in July and “might” deliver some to us in February. We are switching to Vanguard engines. They will supply us with engines on a schedule with no problem. Made in USA, built to our spec, on time, and less expensive… all win.

JUST A LITTLE HONESTY HERE GUYS: I was NOT a fan on the **plastic** mower decks. Honda really tried to sell 'em up, but the reputation was lost with cracking issues.
Do you own a Nexite Deck Honda mower? Ive had mine for like 6 seasons or so, zero problems. I can't see how this deck would be damaged, or crack under normal usage, that includes running over a large branch or yard waste. Was there a large scale issue with Nexite decks that I am unaware of? That being said, I will probably go out and buy an another Nexite deck Honda mower before they are off the market.

From what I can tell, only the "HRX" line of mowers have the composite deck. They make plenty other mowers that are steel deck. My neighbor has a "HRN" series mower with the steel deck and it is a solid mower that cuts/mulches extremely well.

That is too bad, I have a Honda HRS21 from the mid 80's my dad bought used from a friend that was moving into a condo. I use it just for trimming around trees and a drainage ditch across the front of our yard that is too narrow for the deck of my JD X350. The Honda starts first pull every time, even after sitting all winter. I run it empty in the fall and then add half a tank or so of fresh fuel along with Stabil for the winter. Outside of that I change oil once per year . It has no primer bulb just a throttle with a full choke. I did have to replace the black pull handle that attaches to the recoil rope, found an exact replacement on Amazon for $2. Still have the original owners manual.

Ordered a Honda engine yesterday and the distributor said “all of the v-twin engines are difficult to get, I can’t guarantee any delivery before September 2023 and it might not be available at all in 2023”
It’s not a special model, just not the most common model.

I hate to see another choice go away, but I think they're just priced beyond what people want to pay.

I've got a Honda HRS21(whatever) steel deck, single speed self propelled unit from 1999. Still starts in 1-2 pulls and is one of the first GC160 (or 70?) OHC engines they offered as far as I know. Sketchy maintenance on it and it still purrs like a kitten and will idle super low and quiet all day if you let it.

We have two older Honda 2-stage snowblowers at work. Both hydrostatic drive. One with rubber wheels, one with tracks. They are absolute beasts in terms of sucking up and throwing snow. I've never used a snowblower that worked as well as a Honda. Maneuvering and controls? I don't care for them at all. Also, you want to talk about complicated.. Try replacing belts on them. Good Lawd are they Honda over-engineered. Very different than your standard build.

Ordered a Honda engine yesterday and the distributor said “all of the v-twin engines are difficult to get, I can’t guarantee any delivery before September 2023 and it might not be available at all in 2023”
It’s not a special model, just not the most common model.
Who did you get it from?

Looks like northern tool has them.

We are a OEM and buy direct from the distributor for the western US.
Northern tool doesn’t carry the models we use. They have the most common configuration of GX630, we use GX690 and iGX700.

I purchased a Honda self propelled mower in June 2021. Honestly there were no other brands available in my area. With it’s hard plastic tires and annoying thumb activated transmission, it isn’t what I would have expected from Honda. It cranks on the first pull though. You can’t mow anywhere other than a flat surface because those plastic toy wheels have absolutely no grip. Dangerous. I find with the annoying thumb activated transmission I’m either pushing or chasing this mower. Bitching I guess but come on Honda!

I can't believe Honda would discontinue their lawn mower line ? ... My Honda is the best mower I ever had !
I actually never understood how they were able to sell a single mower, the business model just didn't hold up to me. If they took care of the deck, most people would never wear out a B&S motor equipped push mower in their lifetimes and it is 1/4 the price of a honda mower. I have a honda inverter generator, saw the utility there, just never understood why people would spend that kind of money on a push mower.

The grid will never be able to handle all the EV's and Electrical Tools that will be sold. Heck, the Greenies may kill gasoline altogether......

So for yard cutting.... I recommend.....

View attachment 123717
IMG_4764-scaled.jpg

i´ve tried that, good replacement for gym.

I purchased a Honda self propelled mower in June 2021. Honestly there were no other brands available in my area. With it’s hard plastic tires and annoying thumb activated transmission, it isn’t what I would have expected from Honda. It cranks on the first pull though. You can’t mow anywhere other than a flat surface because those plastic toy wheels have absolutely no grip. Dangerous. I find with the annoying thumb activated transmission I’m either pushing or chasing this mower. Bitching I guess but come on Honda!

Funny, I have 2 a HRN which sounds like yours and an HRX.

Though i agree the HRX is a nicer mower i don't find the wheels a problem and find the thumb controlled drive user friendly once you get the paddles adjusted properly for your comfort.

Of course people love personal pace and i can't stand it, so its all preferences.

If I ever need another mower it is going to be disappointing to step down from the Hondas.

We were using off the shelf GX690 engines (made in China) on our equipment as an OEM. Honda ran out of them in July and “might” deliver some to us in February. We are switching to Vanguard engines. They will supply us with engines on a schedule with no problem. Made in USA, built to our spec, on time, and less expensive… all win.
I have a Vanguard (made in Japan) on my B&S generator no problems 11 years old and was used 2 weeks straight during Hurricane Sandy.

Back