Honda to discontinue lawn mowers September 2023

1667047523394.jpg
Try one of these Honda mowers. :LOL:

"Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial type power products such as GX engines, generators and water pumps, and continue to supports its service and parts operations in the U.S. market."

Same as Husqvarna/AYP , just can't compete in the game, MTD has volume like no one else, and Toro seems to have the pro-sumer market on lock.
Nah, plenty of other players in that game.

I just went with a Gravely (Ariens’ commercial/pro-Sumer brand).

To my knowledge, they build their own frames and decks.

The Homelite 160 and the Kohler XT675 vertical shaft engines are remarkably similar to the Honda GXV if not blueprint copies.

JUST A LITTLE HONESTY HERE GUYS: I was NOT a fan on the **plastic** mower decks. Honda really tried to sell 'em up, but the reputation was lost with cracking issues.

Our Honda mower works fine, but I do like how quiet the neighbours electric mower is. They have had to replace the expensive batteries already though, after a few years.
This is what I have noticed from my small engine customers as well. I have a list of people now who have electric mowers that want me to keep an eye out for a "cheap used gas one" for one reason or another.

I'm not against electric mowers at all even being a small engine guy, they certainly have their place and are great for my older customers with small yards or for those who aren't mechanically minded.

I see what you mean. I take the comment to mean they are keeping their OPE lines essentially.. meaning engines and such.

So you can still get a Honda lowered engine, not a Honda branded engine.
I think for them it makes sense to offer small engines but not the mowers from a cost of development vs. profit standpoint. Ever since they started selling their GCV engines as an option on all the cheap mowers (MTD, Craftsman, etc) the sales of Honda branded mowers has dropped except for the niche expensive mower market. Those folks are now gravitating toward electric mowers, so they sell even less Honda branded walk-behind mowers. I can't count the number of times a customer has called me about their "Honda mower" then come to find out it's an MTD of some kind or Husqvarna but just has a Honda GCV engine. Most people can't tell the difference, and don't want to spend the extra for the Honda chassis.

The rona really hit their side by side production , they are in really high demand and bring lots of money , guess they had to pick one.

I think the off brand power equipment coming out of china and being sold at HD and Lowes really cut into their market, the average person doesn't really see the quality difference, and always goes for the lowest price. That is most likely the reason, I don't think they are so short-sighted or easily politically manipulated to end gas mower/single stage snowblower production to bow to climate change ranters. It's all about the money....

Kinda bummed to hear this. I did not really like the plastic deck, but they were the most ergonomic mower I had ever used. I am thankful I still own the electric start hydro version HR215KHMA. Now if I could only locate the mulch plug for it.

When people are programmed to buy the lowest price and always look for something that cost even less, quality is always last. So now we all get to enjoy copies of copies made in the world's factory and nothing else. I will keep my almost 20-year-old flathead Briggs-powered Toro until it dies which will be a sad day.

Back