Honda surface rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
2015 accord. Love this car from a driving and operating perspective. Have seen two mild winters without much salt.

Opened the left rear door, which rarely gets any use, and saw this:

And this:

Not pleased.

I'm thinking to just degrease and put a bit of touch up paint on the hinge stop assembly, but what about the door bolt? Ospho? Cold zinc? Nothing?

Ill probably give all of this hardware a little touch of rustproofing oil. Never usually touch the door jambs. I'm deficient in lubing hinges in ALL my cars too...

Recommendations?

I'd take the nuts off to clean them so that I didn't risk scratching the door paint. Maybe remove and clean one at a time so that you don't lose your door alignment.

I'd take a stainless steel wire brush to them; the kind that are the toothbrush size. The ones with the blue plastic handles at NAPA.

My 30 year old Accord is loaded with cad plated fasteners and no rust. My daughters 10 year old Civic (made in Japan) has a few but never sees salt.

Cad plating is either too expensive or a no-no because of the EPA?

Last edited:
Painting over the bolts will look bad unless I do all of them on the car.

I was thinking Ospho, perhaps a new coat of Zinc...

That is why I got down on Honda.
My 13 Accord Sport had a bad paint job, rust within a few years. And peeling alloys and I only put 13 k on the car in three years. I take great care of my cars. It did not age well. If your car is still under warranty let the dealer know. Good luck.

If it were me, I wouldn't pull anything apart - any door hinge hardware is a PITA & you risk f'ing more up playing with it. Squirt some ff/white grease in the to slow the corrosion. It'll collect road grime & blacken over time, matching your paint!

Same reason I passed on a 2008 Acura about a year ago. Same thing like your pictures, but it was much worse. Under the hood, all the bolts and nuts were rusted. I have cars over 25 years that don't look like that. Not sure if it's a combination of shoddy fasteners and road salts, or just shoddy fasteners period. I am leaning toward the latter.

Originally Posted By: user52165

EPA. Cadmium and zinc dichromate have been phased out for regulatory reasons and replaced with an aluminum compound that is not nearly as good.

My RAV-4 exhibits the same corrosion as OP's, on the same types of fasteners.

I wouldn't be happy, especially since it's a fairly new car. Does Honda have a paint warranty? Either way I'd complain to them before doing anything.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: user52165

EPA. Cadmium and zinc dichromate have been phased out for regulatory reasons and replaced with an aluminum compound that is not nearly as good.

My RAV-4 exhibits the same corrosion as OP's, on the same types of fasteners.

This is exactly correct. I see it most strikingly in my old BMW when I buy new fasteners for it. It's not because they automaker decided to go "cheap".

I have the same issue on my '12. Probably going to spray some Krown on them and call it a day.

I would just buy new bolts and replace them one at a time, loosening one isn't going to allow the door to slip and change the alignment. By the time you buy something to coat them and your time new bolts are looking pretty inexpensive.
Degrease the new bolts and spray them with a rust inhibitor like FF once they installed. The other part I would degrease then give it a vinegar wash (let it sit for 15-20 min) then rinse and dry.

Use prep-all to remove any grease, wax, silicone, etc then touch up with self etching primer and paint. I usually just spay some of the primer and paint into the caps and use these for the touch up application. They come in yellow and various tip sizes but these are cheap and good 1.5mm.

https://www.amazon.com/ATLIN-Disposable-...V19R683QJS9YR5E

My experience with the high zinc, cold galvanizing type paints is that existing rust will grow through them if just applied over existing rust. A first coat of rust reformer would probably stop the rust. Then, follow up with the top coating of your choice.

I, too, would not mess with removing them and possibly messing up the door alignment. (unless Trav is correct, as usual, above).

I have had spectacular results with the following product, rubbed on in a paper thin layer. It is impervious to water wash off. I use it on rotor hats, exposed front hub parts, galvanized fence gates, etc.. It will darken the finish to a dark grey and will require reapplication about every 2 years: https://goodson.com/products/bpl-2400-pastelub-brake-lubricant

If you do a warranty claim, won't they just replace them with the same product? Or, they will simply try to do some kind of repair and maybe make a worse mess of it. IMO, this is one of those aggravations that I would just tend to myself, because I don't trust dealers. Tough call, if one decides to get it repaired on "principle".

I've seen new cars on dealer lots have that in CT. I doubt Honda would do anything for you, sadly.

If it were mine, I'd spray some fluid film on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back