Honda Pilot Oil specs US vs Overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Its a shame we need 0w20 because of CAFE regulations.

CAFE does not require 0-20 oils.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
This merely reinforces what we already know.
Engines can run happily on a variety of grades for a very long time.

This

Why? How do you know it's not superior in many ways. Again, Europe has a different "long drain" mentality than we do. They also pay a lot more for a 5L jug than we do...

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

Why? How do you know it's not superior in many ways. Again, Europe has a different "long drain" mentality than we do. They also pay a lot more for a 5L jug than we do...

I use 0-20 and prefer it because of the GREAT results it gives my engines. Very clean engines, no sign of engine wear, virtually no oil consumption, no concern with ring coking, and easily does 10K OCIs. Life's Good.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Cmon guys, don't turn this into another thin thick battle. The purpose of my post wast just to show that most of the modern engines are designed to work on different oil grades, not just one. that's it and nothing to it

"Like"

I'm surprised it took y'all so long to realize that hahaha

Next thing you know all US manuals are now adjusted with proper oil grades lol

I'm originally from Ukraine and I find this difference weird as well.
Back home, they use ONLY 5w20 in Ford Ecoboost engine saying it's a turbo and needs thinner oil to flow thru the system.
If you switch to 5w30 and they find out - you're out of the warranty.
Here in US they say it needs thicker 5w30 because it's a turbo
crazy.gif

Originally Posted by tig1
... I use 0-20 and prefer it because of the GREAT results it gives my engines. ... no concern with ring coking, ...
That's because you use it in Fords, not because it's 0W-20. Regardless of their other problems, I haven't heard of a Ford with that particular defect.

(Next, someone will come along to point out an exception to my generality... )

The Mazda Skyactiv engines also specifies 0W20 in the US, and 5W30 elsewhere. I've heard that Mazda even have 0w40 on the list for some parts of the world.
When I tell people I use 5W30 in my Skyactiv, I get a lot of people trying to tell me that my engine will be damaged ...

Oils used overseas are stated in metric units.
Metric 10w30 is equivalent to 0w20 US Imperial.
Just use the conversion calculator.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh

How do you know anything ?

It could be that which is specified for the gimbal joints on the hubble telescope...and no-one can ever DENY that it's the oil used on those joints...because they can't possibly know..eh ???

Originally Posted by tig1

CAFE does not require 0-20 oils.

No, as previously discussed ad nauseum...

CAFE sets economy requirements.
CAFE/NHTSA acknowledge that low viscosity lubricants are the least cost option for achieving economy.
CAFE requires that IF a manufacturer chooses that (least cost) path t achieve their requirements, that they must take "every practicable method", including not providing "ambiguous" owners manuals to ensure that the oil that the car was complied with remains the service fill.

So, clearly CAFE DRIVES the direction, while not requiring 0W20.

They don't require pizza cutter tyres either do they ???

Originally Posted by oghl
The Mazda Skyactiv engines also specifies 0W20 in the US, and 5W30 elsewhere. I've heard that Mazda even have 0w40 on the list for some parts of the world.
When I tell people I use 5W30 in my Skyactiv, I get a lot of people trying to tell me that my engine will be damaged ...

I mentioned above that I was curious what other oil weights Nissan specs for the VQ35/VQ37 engines elsewhere than North America. Went to Castrol's Australia site and Castrol recommends 0W-40 - Castrol EDGE, at that ! - first and 5W-30 second for this engine. I have to presume they recommend the same weight that Nissan calls for too but still haven't confirmed this.

Originally Posted by ChemLabNL

I'm just shaking my head on this one.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Oils used overseas are stated in metric units. Metric 10w30 is equivalent to 0w20 US Imperial. Just use the conversion calculator.

I think that metric ACEA A3/B4 is equivalent to US ACEA A2.1/B3 as well.

Oh, and US isn't "Imperial". We worked hard a couple of hundred years ago to make sure that isn't the case.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back