Honda Pilot and Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

First time poster here. Great forum! So I have 7500 miles on the "special Honda Breakin oil" and am going to dump it tomorrow with Mobil 1 0w-20. My goal is to drive this thing 500,000 miles and 20 years... even got heated leather seats so that those miles will be comfy
smile.gif
I'm not really keen on the whole 20 weight oil, so i'm considering adding in a quart of 0w-40. So would 3 quarts of 0w-20 mixed with 0w-40 give me something like a 0w-25? Also, the 0w-20 pours at -65. This is the mostly group 4/5 synthetic... right? The 5w-20 says it pours at -53...

Thanks

Quote:

Warranty is 3-36 on 5w20..

Nope, 5 years or 60k.

Just run the 5w-20. My dads Vue (same engine) had a real good UOA with Pennzoil 5w-20.

Nice engine!

Merry Christmas, Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

I'm not really keen on the whole 20 weight oil, so i'm considering adding in a quart of 0w-40. So would 3 quarts of 0w-20 mixed with 0w-40 give me something like a 0w-25?

smirk.gif
20 weight is too thin but a 25 weight is O.K.?
smirk.gif
M1 0W20 will easily take you to your 500,000 mile goal. Some idiot will rear end you long before then anyway.
patriot.gif

Ain't that the truth... This car replaces a 1993 Isuzu Trooper with 250,000 miles that ran perfectly... Hit by a teenager... Auto totaled... Only got $3500 out of it
frown.gif

That car would have just kept on running.

Must of been in good shape to keep full insurance coverage on a 14 year-old vehicle with a quarter million miles on it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Now I'm wondering this???....

....Does the owners manual state 5W-20 is a requirement -- or a recommendation???? You can go slightly outside the box if it's only a recommendation.

Quote:

Must of been in good shape to keep full insurance coverage on a 14 year-old vehicle with a quarter million miles on it.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Now I'm wondering this???....

....Does the owners manual state 5W-20 is a requirement -- or a recommendation???? You can go slightly outside the box if it's only a recommendation.

Unlike a rust belt state like Michigan, in California, I had vehicles with well over 100,000 miles that inside and out looked as good as the day I bought it. Unfortunately, in California, with the amount of people on the roads driving the way they do, you WILL get smashed into so it makes good sense to carry good insurance coverage.
patriot.gif

The 5W20 will get you to your goal with no problem. I have used it(skeptical at first)in my new Honda and have had excellent results. You can look at posted UOAs and see for yourself that it does an excellent job of preventing wear. Mobile 1 would not be my first choice but it is a good oil.
approved.gif

Quote:

First time poster here. Great forum! So I have 7500 miles on the "special Honda Breakin oil" and am going to dump it tomorrow with Mobil 1 0w-20. My goal is to drive this thing 500,000 miles and 20 years... even got heated leather seats so that those miles will be comfy
smile.gif
I'm not really keen on the whole 20 weight oil, so i'm considering adding in a quart of 0w-40. So would 3 quarts of 0w-20 mixed with 0w-40 give me something like a 0w-25?

Any synthetic 5w20 API certified oil from Castrol, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline, Mobil, Chevron, Amsoil, etc, will get you to your goal. Since you live in Southern Kal-ee-'for-nyah, a 0w20 won't provide any real advantage. Not necessary to mix in a quart 0w40...odds are you may actually degrade longterm performance of the original formulation.

Quote:

Also, the 0w-20 pours at -65. This is the mostly group 4/5 synthetic... right? The 5w-20 says it pours at -53...

No telling what it's made from. Mobil is not forthcoming and their specs have been highly inconsistent the past year or two. In any event, any the above synthetic 5w20s should provide equivalent performance.

Feel free to run what ever you like but these Honda's and other vechiles that call for 5W20 or 0W20 seem to do just fine on them!So if an OEM calls for a XW20 I would not be too worried about it. We have also seen these same vechiles do just as good running other non recommended viscosities! Fear is a horrable place to make a decision from! I would not let fear be my motivation! Personely I think keeping any factory fill in for 7500 miles is negligent or abusive in spite of what the OEM might recommend.

Is your Maintenance Minder calling for a service now? Does it say < 15% remaining?

Just use 0w20 and move on with life if you desire Mobil 1. Otherwise, dump in the cheapest 5W20 or 5W30 you can find. (Me, I'd use 5W30 because I can get it for 3x less)

Gotta have good insurance in California. And...uninsured/underinsured coverage is a must. People out here just don't know how to drive, and driver training is no longer taught in the high schools where I live..

Maintenance minder read at 0%. I would have dumped it long ago, but I figure that Honda knows best (I hope).. So jeez...what's a guy to do. The Mobil 0w-20 was the same price as the 5w-20, so I figure since it has a lower pour point that it has more of the true synthetic stuff in it.

i don't know who makes the honda branded oil at the dealerships, but i do know their 0w20 is made in japan. my wife's insight came with free oil changes for as long as the original owner owns it, and BOY are they going to regret that. despite the bad taste some have in their mouth over M1, i am still using it in all of my cars except the honda (which gets honda).

do not deviate from the 5w-20 service manual instruction. honda makes some of the best engines on the planet, and they are an engineering driven company... they don't worry about CAFE junk. keep up with the recommended service, always use honda parts and it will run as long as you want it to.

Mobil 1 0W-20 is a fine oil, but for your 7500mi OCI under warranty, I'd recommend Motorcraft 5W-20...it's a synthetic blend and a great one at that...

Use Napa Gold or Pure One filters and you'll easily reach your goal!

My mom has an '05 Pilot and yes, that engine sure is sweet and smooth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back