Honda owners: Where to get Z-1 ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are some inexpensive places to get Z-1? The dealer we bought our 09 Fit Sport from in PA we don't trust, so I am not wishing to reward them with any more business.

Also, I heard CarQuest may carry genuine Z-1 under the part number WPC Z800188443OES or WPS Z8001-88443OES. Any confirmation?

Confused...you mention a PA dealer, but your location is SC. Dealer's are independent so "rewarding" your SC dealer with business won't effect the PA dealer.

Regardless, there are a number of dealers that have an online presence and will ship you Z-1. I can usually get my local dealer to match online pricing, especially when you take into account shipping charges. The online stores I've used are:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/
http://www.partznet.com/index.htm

There aren't any inexpensive places. However, you could stop by your local Saturn dealer (if they haven't gone out of business yet). The Saturn VUE w/V6 between 2004 and 2007 used a Honda 3.5L V6 and Honda 5-speed automatic trans. So the dealers have Honda Z-1 fluid, but I can't recall what the GM part number is.

You can buy from Bernardi Honda online.

Alternatively, you can use Castrol multi-vehicle ATF for imports (proportedly JWS-3309 equivalent) which claimed to be Z-1 compatible.

Q.

I always call dealers nearby and ask for a case quantity discount. I have always been able to get z-1 for about $4.80/qt by the case.

The car's in NY with my fiancee, just over the border from PA.

Thanks for all the tips and reminders! I just may have to patronize a nearby dealer my friends have had good experiences with. Carrying a case of ATF back to NY on holiday isn't a problem for me.

Z-1 is expensive at the dealer but you will just have to bite the bullet.

A while back I bought 2 cases with free shipping for $3.40 per quart.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
and just stick with the Z1...

Why is that?? There's many a late model Odyssey 3.5L 5spd cruising along quite happily with "Suitable for use in Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs) applications" Valvoline Maxlife ATF. There is absolutely no need to purchase dealer Z1. The Ody is the optimum test case for this ATF.

Joel

Last edited:
Since I think our Fit's transmission is going to die at the 30k mark, I only want to use Z-1 so Honda can't weasel out of the warranty by running a UOA and finding that something else was used.

I understand your concern, but not only would it be near impossible to prove with a UOA, It's right there in the Valvoline specs that it can be used where Honda Z-1 is spec'd.

Joel

Two things I use OEM and that is just me in my Honda......Z1 and Honda Antifreeze....Dont want to take a chance...and it is not like you are replacing the stuff every 5,000 miles like oil....

I was thinking of going to Maxlife after the warranty is out. Until then Z-1 for the warranty.

It's cute how Honda makes the first change right when all warranties expire. It's being changed more often for my peace of mind.

On my 2007 I changed at 60,000 with the three quarts needed and then every 10,000 change with three quarts....It is sooo easy to change the fluid on a honda...as simple or actually simpler then changing your engine oil and filter...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Since I think our Fit's transmission is going to die at the 30k mark, I only want to use Z-1 so Honda can't weasel out of the warranty by running a UOA and finding that something else was used.

How's the tranny acting that you think it's going to die?
Stick with Honda Z-1, you don't want to get stuck in the middle if Honda decides that the problem is with the non-OEM ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back