Honda owners ... are you running dino for 10k OCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Honda thinks it can sell more cars by recommending "a less than optimal" OCI sticking with the low maintenance theme.

quote:

Originally posted by 06RANGER:
Perhaps Honda thinks it can sell more cars by recommending "a less than optimal" OCI sticking with the low maintenance theme.

Yeah, right.

I have seen so many abused, run hard and put up wet Honda automobiles that I really don't think it matters if you change the oil in them at 5k miles or 10k miles. Bottom line is they are more likely to outlast anything else on the road with better maintenance and people have a hard time getting over that.

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
Originally posted by 06RANGER:
[qb] . . . Bottom line is they are more likely to outlast anything else on the road with better maintenance and people have a hard time getting over that.
Hondas are nice and generally trouble-free. And they don't turn into rust heaps after 6 years like they used to.

But I'll still take a Volvo over a Honda when it comes to longevity.

I think Honda has matched longevity with Volvo, then when you take into consideration the availability of parts, I'd still stick with Honda.

The old '93 Accord recommends 12K Km changes but I do the oil/filter at 6k Km (3750 Mi) mainly cause I LOVE changing oil.
The old girl has 205,000Km (about 130,000 mi) and doesn't use any oil. I put 4 L in and drain 4L out.
P.B.

p.s. I don't think a BITOG could go the recommended 10k miles without serious psychotherapy or doubling up on the Prozak
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
I think Honda has matched longevity with Volvo, then when you take into consideration the availability of parts, I'd still stick with Honda.

Considering their sales advantage, I still see more older Volvos than Hondas around these parts. I don't see many '80s Preludes or Civics (and the few I do see are usually beat to he**), but I see plenty of 240s and 740s. It may be a purely economic thing. Volvo owners, having invested more up front, may just hold them longer.

I have no problem getting parts. And once the car gets past a certain age, you don't really need much on a routine basis other than consumables.

My 1st Volvo was a '65 122S that I bought for $800 in about 1977: the previous owner SWORE that it was "ONLY 235K, NOT 335K" on the odometer!

His daughter used it to commute back and forth between Portland and Corvallis (OSU) for 3 years. Wish I still had that car: the owner's manual suggested "...the fitting of radial tires for driving at sustained speeds in excess of 100 mph."

Second Volvo was a 1972 145E with a manual trans: the clutch went out less than 500 miles after purchase from the local Volvo dealership: they put a new clutch in for free when I brought it back and parked it in front of the main entrance to the showroom...

As far as the OLDER Volvo's (wouldn't you love a nice 164 or a diesel?) are concerned, I might be tempted to agree with Volvohead's statement...

Anything "after" is way, way overpriced & pretty unreliable compared to the older RWD models, IMHO.
banghead.gif

Not "Volvo-bashing", just my opinion.

Honda, on the other hand, just keeps bringing out generation after generation of CIVIC & Accord models that are near the very top in just about every category you can name. The new Accord is, in just about every parameter, a better car than the original Acura Legend ("It was 20 years ago, this year..."), and we had one of those for 128K trouble-free miles.

Cheers!

p.s. We don't own any Honda products (well, a motorcycle) nor any Volvo.

I went 7,500 once or twice w/ my 2002 CR-V but that was w/ith Mobil 1, not dino. I'm a eurocar person but the V has been fantastic and I have no plans to toss it any time soon. When I wash her, she looks brand new. Doesn't have the solid feel of a eurocar but much nicer on the pocketbook mechanically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back