Honda on-board computer oil "analysis"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have learned a great deal here in the past few days and have yet another question about my new Honda Ridgeline. It has an on-board computer that some other Hondas and (I think) a few GM cars use to "analyze" oil life. It measures start ups, trip durations, RPMs, temps, etc. and comes up with a percent of oil life based on your driving habits. When the message comes up on the dash that you need to "service soon" you have about 15% oil life left; at 5%, you get a "service NOW" message. These messages are suppose to be when Honda's computer feels you need to change oil.

I'm not sure I trust this thing 100% but I would like some thoughts from those who have such a system. The reason I'm not so sure about this system is that it does not know if you are using good or junk oil, synthetic, EM type or what. If you have such a warning device on your vehicle is your OCI based on the computer message or on mileage/time factors? If you have one of these on-board systems and do not use it as your guide, please tell me why? Thanks in advance.

This service soon light from what i heard is a trip counter that light up at precisely 5000 miles. From what I heard it is not as sophisticated as the GM oil life monitor.

I would trust GM's result, but not Honda's.

I'm assuming Honda's system is as sophisticated as GM's system. If it is, it's calibrated for the oil recommended in the service manual. Using "better" oil than what's recommeded, may give one additional peace of mind if they decide to follow the computer's recommendation.

If you still don't trust that the Honda engineers did their homework, the next best thing to do is a UOA when you feel the oil needs to be changed and from such things as the TBN, visc, fuel dilution, water, insolubles, oxidation, nitration, etc, will give you an indication of the life left in the oil. The one thing a UOA won't tell you (unless you spend big bucks) is the amount of ZDDP depletion. This is one area where GM's Oil Life Monitor system's recommendation is superior to the common UOA.

As for junk oil, you'd have to really look hard to find any oil on the shelf at Wally World, in any grade, that could be considered junk and I doubt that any 5W-20 oil for sale in the U.S. could be considered junk. Of course, 5W-20 is what Honda specs.

I've an '05 Ody and love that it has an OLM. After a long dino break-in to about 15k miles with 3-4k OCI's, my plan is to switch to the best syn and change per the OLM at around 20% OLR. I also plan on staying with 5W-20 unless oil analysis shows there to be a problem or my consumption goes up. If so, I'll move to 5W-30.

On my Ody, I consider engine oil secondary to the ATF. Fortunately, both are a breeze to change.

I'm unable to determine how the Honda OLM actually works.
dunno.gif

I have the GM OLM, but do not rely on it 100%, because as GM says it is based on calculation and doesn't account for dust and abrasives or other contaminants in the oil.

GM's oil life monitor does measure startups and how the engine is driven etc and goes off based on when the PCM thinks your oil has had enough.

I cant speak for the new ridgeline but my 2004 Honda Pilots "oil life monitor" automatically goes off at 7500 miles no matter what the driving conditions. Its just another idiot light.

Not to hijack this thread, but how does Ford's oil change monitor work? We've got a '95 Ford Explorer Limited with this computer readout thingee on the center console... I've always just assumed it was a mileage counter, but I don't know the mileage interval, nor am I even sure it is a mileage-based system.

Anyone know about this?

I can speak for older Accords - (2000 & 2001) as my daughters drive them. As I think about it, my friend's 2004 Accord opperates the same way. Honda's "light" is triggered strictly by mileage. I forget the intervals without having the manual in front of me, but it goes from flashing a few times when first started, to staying illuminated all the time. Again, this is based on mileage driven since last reset. Don't hold me to it, but I think the first "flashing" is in the 5000-6000 mile range.

Reset is a simple button on the insturment cluster, pushed in while the key is in the "start" position, not the "run" position.

Nothing fancy here at all, but better than nothing for the average Joe who is prone to neglect their car.

"As for junk oil, you'd have to really look hard to find any oil on the shelf at Wally World, in any grade, that could be considered junk "
----------------------------------------------------------
Yea, that ACCEL 30w, non detergent oil, would qualify.

My '00 Silverado 5.3 has the 1st gen OLM from GM. It does not give me a %, just lights up when I need to do and oil change.

I only drive the truck 4k-8k miles a year.

It has only come on twice in the past 5 years. I do 1 yr OCI's (unless OLM lights up first) and reset the OLM.

I trust it on my truck. I used dino for first 4 OCI's, now I use M1 10-30.

I can only assume that Honda wuold put a lot of R&D behind their OLM. What does the manual state?

I can also only assume that GM's and Honda's OLM's are determined that you use what the manual states for recommended oil weight and API serive type.

My Silverado recommends oil with Starburst and Energy Conserving specs, 5-30 weight, but 10-30 for hotter climates and 0-30 for colder climates.

If it were my Honda, I would use M1 5-20 and either OEM Honda, Wix, Bosch Premium, or SuperTech filters.

Save your receipts for future warranty issues to be on safe side.

Here is what I understand about OLMs.

Toyota: The new ones, starting in 05, have a "dummy light" that goes off at 5,000 miles...no monitoring device whatsoever.

GM/Honda: Some type of computer algorithm that calculates the service intervals based on driving conditions...quite accurate supposedly.

Michael

"Toyota: The new ones, starting in 05, have a "dummy light" that goes off at 5,000 miles...no monitoring device whatsoever."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Yea, I've got that dummy light.

On my 98 Buick Century with the 3.1 it has a OLM light. I had Castrol SYNTEC 5W30 in it for 10,000 miles and the light dident come on so I chickened out and dumped it. I talked to a Hunda Tech and he said that he was told it has a LED system that shines light thru the oil like the GM units. DaveJ

I dident think there was a LED. This tech works in the Redmond Washington area, so Microsoft Honda drivers beware. The only LED system I know about was on the oil pans of RX7-7 for low oil alarm and it dident work if I remember. I dont call ALL Honda drivers "Ricers". Only the ones with the big **** pipe sticking out the back I call Hun-Dah drivers. Anyway back to the story... DaveJ

quote:

Originally posted by DaveJ:
I dont call ALL Honda drivers "Ricers". Only the ones with the big **** pipe sticking out the back...

To use PC language, they're called "Farrt-Can" mufflers.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DaveJ:
I talked to a Hunda Tech and he said that he was told it has a LED system that shines light thru the oil like the GM units. DaveJ

Sounds like my dad, he believes that all OLM systems "is a light shining through the oil."
mad.gif

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back