Honda oil-Is it made by Mobil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a fan of Mobil-1 (Synthetic). While dropping my 08 Honda civic off at the dealership. I wanted to make sure that they would be using “Mobil-1”, the service advisor said that it is “Honda oil” but made by Mobil.

So the questions are (For those in the know):
1) Is Honda oil really made by Mobil
2) Is there any difference between Mobil-1 and Honda’s synthetic oil (Like, does Honda put special additives to make it a special blend?)

I’d just like to know if this Honda oil is inferior to, the same as, or superior to Mobil-1, so I’ll know if I should bring my Mobil-1 next time.

Thanks

All I know is that Mobil 1 & Pennzoil Platinum in 5w30 meets the Honda turbo specification. I do know that the Honda factory fill containe extra moly.

Then, was I lied to by the dealership? I asked for Sythetic and was told that Honda Oil is made by Mobil and that their honda Synthetic is teh same as M-1, but without teh m-1 name.

If I was sold semi, then I should ahve been told such.

First off, you can NEVER be certain of what and how much of anything is put into your engine unless you are standing right next to the car while the service is being performed or you do it yourself. Secondly, I would look for a UOA or VOA for Honda Synthetic and compare it to M1.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
Then, was I lied to by the dealership? I asked for Sythetic and was told that Honda Oil is made by Mobil and that their honda Synthetic is teh same as M-1, but without teh m-1 name.

If I was sold semi, then I should ahve been told such.

I could be wrong but I don't believe Honda sells OEM Synthetic oil. I do however think they carry M1 for the Acuras that use it as the factory fill...

When I worked at a Honda dealership there was a Honda labeled oil recommended for the S2000 that when you read the label closely you realized that it was a synthetic blend, not a full synthetic. It is easy to misunderstand that it is Mobil 1 with a Honda label, but it is not.

its possible honda is bottling mobil oil not their full synthetic mobil 1 - if anything mobil clean 5000 or 7500.

Last edited:
Honda does not label a full synthetic. The Honda motor oil around here is made by XOM as stated on the bottles.

XOM blends oils for many other companies/names/brands etc.

Change the oil yourself...and you'll know for sure what you are getting.
thumbsup2.gif

I guess it's only available in Canada...

Image010.jpg

Image012.jpg

Originally Posted By: buster
Honda does not label a full synthetic. The Honda motor oil around here is made by XOM as stated on the bottles.

Who ever makes it, it is great oil. I have a franchise owner in my region of stores that drives about 200km each way to/from his store each day and he has used nothing but Honda Oil in his car since he bought it and it's now got over 600,000km on it and it only uses about 1/2 quart between changes... :)

I have a friend that wanted to buy some synthetic Honda oil but the dealership here couldnt get it for him.. He knew they sold it in Japan, but not Canada.. Ill have to tell him

brian

If you want anything from Japan I have family that lives there and can have anything shipped to your friend... All it would take is an e-mail! :)

A friend of mine has found this topic on the Civinfo forum, and from there it appears that on some bottles are labeled “Made by Idemitsu”. However, on the Honda bottles that are available at our local dealers, there is no indication whatsoever regarding the manufacturer. You can see some pictures of these bottles here and here.

Would it be possible that the Honda Oil is different, or made by a different manufacturer depending on the region or area?

Gotta fix the IMG tags.

Image010.jpg

Image012.jpg

Originally Posted By: Edirol
I guess it's only available in Canada...

Originally Posted By: buster

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back