Honda oil changes without filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say generally a new filter makes sense with long runs of 10k or more on expensive synth, but if you are doing short changes of 3-5k on cheap dino, then a reused filter is just fine.

Yeah and they probably complain about unemployment and the national debt. In m.h.o. It's just not right to send that kind of money out of the country anymore. American cars are better and Americans need work. Just make sure the car is actually made here. Not just the brand.
And on topic, considering the investment in the vehicle, I think trying to save $5 a year fur a filter is questionable at best. Again m.h.o.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: z917990
I am the biggest Honda fan of the face of the earth. Nevertheless, I feel that Honda's recommendation to change the filter every other oil change is absolute folly. To me, it is simply a matter of economics. A filter is $5.00. My car costs over $20,000.00. I keep my cars forever. End of the story.

+1,000,000

The only reason I would skip a filter change on a Honda is that until recently, they are a PITA to get to and change. You get all covered in dirty oil along with all your front suspension pieces. My 05 Accord 4 cyl was horrible.

My 2005 Accord dumps oil all over the suspension, frame, and half shaft. A real PITA. Was one of the reasons why I only changed the filter every other change for a while.

To me it really depends on how much water would be in the oil. If I'm doing short trip only, I'd change it every OCI. If I do mostly highway, every other OCI.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: z917990
I am the biggest Honda fan of the face of the earth. Nevertheless, I feel that Honda's recommendation to change the filter every other oil change is absolute folly. To me, it is simply a matter of economics. A filter is $5.00. My car costs over $20,000.00. I keep my cars forever. End of the story.

+1,000,000

The only reason I would skip a filter change on a Honda is that until recently, they are a PITA to get to and change. You get all covered in dirty oil along with all your front suspension pieces. My 05 Accord 4 cyl was horrible.

My 2005 Accord dumps oil all over the suspension, frame, and half shaft. A real PITA. Was one of the reasons why I only changed the filter every other change for a while.

Are you guys talking about the horizontal mounting configuration of the oil filter? It wasn't THAT bad. Acuras and Hondas were like this for a long time and I changed many horizontal filters. You'll get a couple of tablespoons of oil dripping down the engine, no big deal. Just leave the oil pan in place for a while to catch all the oil.

The very first time, you might get oil on your arms, but after that you'll figure out to lie down away from the filter while removing it. I've never got oil on me

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Honda OEM = Fram
I would think twice, before using the same filter twice...

From my readinr on ROC Honda uses two suppliers for oil filters.
Fram and a better supplier I cant remeber.
The -01 for the 3.5 v6 are the better built filters.
And on the first oc I sure as heck didn't leave on the used filter.

Last edited:
My bet is that the people who insist on filter changes every OC (3000-5000 miles?) these people have NEVER cut open a used filter....hmm?

Still I have not heard a single technical reason to ignore the every-other recommendation. Remember, its' a technical forum about car maintenance, not sleeping habits or ~feelings~.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back