New Honda Oil Change Question

Check the owner's manual.

Honda usually states to change the oil according to the MM OR at a certain amount of time if the MM doesn't indicate an oil change. Most time limits are one year, not sure about your Hybrid though.

With you driving all city, I'd change it now and every 3k from now on.
I would never let the car tell me when to change the oil. ;)

I just bought a brand new 2019 Honda Insight. It was assembled January of 2019 which means the oil in it is almost 2 years in the oil pan. Is it still a bad thing to change the oil early in a Honda or is it fine as long as it meets the specs?

Also, Honda only says to change the filter every other oil change. I was thinking 5k mike changes with NAPA Synthetic as I own 24 quarts of it already in the recommended 0W20.
Is this the 1000th new Honda should I change the oil or leave it thread?

Simple logic needed here.

1) NOTHING happens to the oil sitting in the pan. Long chain paraffins are inherently stable. DP is generous enough to take a few cold starts and sit.

2) Honda wants you to leave the oil in. There is likely some assembly lube mixed in and its nothing but beneficial. The engine is wearing in - you don't want a high detergent load fighting with the AW/EP space.

Changing the oil now will NOT give you "Peace of Mind"

You will have just dumped good fortified oil against the manufacturers recommendations - and dumped your junk in.

Give it at least 2500-3000 Miles - then have at it. I would change the filter EVERY time. Now THERE is a point of argument.

Enjoy the new "Beast"
- Ken

With you driving all city, I'd change it now and every 3k from now on.
I would never let the car tell me when to change the oil. ;)

I prefer to look at it as - the 6 engineers at Honda that worked on the OLM giving me incredibly sound advice as to what to do.
I've taken a long look at their published work and cant find any area that I can fault it in or claim they got it wrong.
Nor I can find anyone here who has published anything on the specific matter that disagrees with them.

Do you have any actual stats backing your fixed 3K regimen as being the right way to go?

It's probably full of moisture by now. Just run it for 2-3K and then perform an oil change.

Back