Honda oil changes without filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
crinkles - Spot on - people also forget the amount of residual oil left at an OC anyway! Filter disposal is a Worldwide environmental issue - as is used oil

OT - My what a wet summer we've all had! QLD beat NSW in that regard.................

Changing the oil and not the filter is like brushing just your top teeth and leaving the bottoms till tomorrow.

i agree with marine about using new oil with old filter, i dont like it either...interesting to see US military members and retirees driving foreign cars, when i was in DC 70% of vehicles i saw were imports

Huh, I never knew there was such so much support for extended and/or ever other OCI Oil filter changes
21.gif
But If this support comes from a ecoligical, green point of view, Im doing my part by choosing not to have children. (The average person creates over 1600 Lbs. of waste a year) So I'll keep on changing out my Oil filter every Oil change. And my next car quite possibly will be a Honda, and I'll swap out the oil fiter every oil change on that too.

I don't normally keep the same filter on for more than one oil change however I will be doing that with my mobil 1 filter (figure it's good for 20K so why not.)

Some years ago Chrysler, VW and some other manufactures MG & Honda? did filter studies and determined that filters get more efficient with use. The study yielded data the one should keep a filter on through three oil changes but, to be conservative they recommended that the filter be used for two oil changes. I would follow the manufactures recommendation on this one. Most newer filters only hold about 1/2 pint of oil so the oil oil remaining in the filter is a non issue when you consider 3/4 quart remains in the engine galleys and head.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
There's something about pouring 4 1/2 qts. of new oil into an engine with 1/2 qt. of old oil that doesn't settle with me very well.

It definitely does not with me as well either...It is cheap enough to put in a new filter.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
people also forget the amount of residual oil left at an OC anyway!

Right on, Doug. My civic has a total oil capacity of 4.2q, but only 3.4q get changed at an oil change with a filter change, and 3.2q without filter change. I change my filter every other OCI with a honda filter, and 180k miles later she's still spitting out spectacular UOA's and running like new.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Some years ago Chrysler, VW and some other manufactures MG & Honda? did filter studies and determined that filters get more efficient with use.

I choose to use filters which are VERY efficient from day one, not a filter that gets clogged up over 10,000 miles AND THEN finally starts filtering the smaller particles.

I remember seeing this for Nissans too. Not sure if they still do it, or if they did it across the board. A filter is cheap enough to change, so I always changed it when I changed the oil.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Some years ago Chrysler, VW and some other manufactures MG & Honda? did filter studies and determined that filters get more efficient with use.

I choose to use filters which are VERY efficient from day one, not a filter that gets clogged up over 10,000 miles AND THEN finally starts filtering the smaller particles.

All filters are going to get more efficient with time, including one which filters better initially.

Thanks for all the info...I own the TL so it will continue to get oil filters with each OCI..its due for Ultra next...

The MDX is a lease so Honda owns it..i will follow their recommendations since its "their" vehicle..

I remember the 15K OCI with Mobil 1 on my old(2003 Boxter S) with the porsche paper filters...I always felt uneasy about it

Question: Is changing the filter every other oil change recommended for normal AND severe service for these applications?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Question: Is changing the filter every other oil change recommended for normal AND severe service for these applications?

The OLM gives you the guidance..I am not sure if the manual specifies between normal or severe...I will check

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

Normally, yes. But the OCI's are shorter for severe, therefore the filter interval is shorter.

Last edited:
doesnt matter what vehicle i work on, it will ALWAYS get a new filter with an oil change. Cheap insurance. I dont mind 6-12$ every 6 months or so. Its almost foolish not to IMO.

Originally Posted By: mattd
doesnt matter what vehicle i work on, it will ALWAYS get a new filter with an oil change. Cheap insurance. I dont mind 6-12$ every 6 months or so. Its almost foolish not to IMO.

+1

After reading about extended drain filter issues in Honda and Toyota applications, [smaller size filters] I'd change my filter each time I change my oil. Then after reading Trav's thread and seeing the pictures of the Honda engine being all sludged up I'd change my filter each time I change the oil. Why tempt fate? JMO, flame suit on.

Honestly , with todays oils I'll bet doing 5K OCI's and not even having an oil filter would make little difference .

I think people are to focused/obsessed on seeing nearly clean clear oil on the dipstick . That dark color after some miles does not mean you have a bunch of harmful dirt in your engine .

I have gone 18-20K miles on one filter (every other OCI) in my Civic a couple times. I currently have 9K on my WIX and Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and I am planning on running both at least 20K, possibly 25K and doing a UOA with cut open filter pics and pics of used oil compared to new M1 AFE. If I don't chicken out. It will take me approx another 3 months to put 10-12K more miles on the car.

What I do is simple. 93 Honda Civic and 07 Odyssey. Any on sale Dino( I have 60 qts in my stash) I use purolator Pure One for ten thousand miles. With the oil changed at 5000 mile intervals. So, two oil changes per filter. Im sure there are ALOT of people out there that dont even bother to change oil, or care!I have a friend thst picked me up one night. I asked him how many miles he had on his current oil. Answer: 12,000... jiffy lube oil and filter.2001 ford focus owned since new, now has 155,000 miles, no repairs.He didnt even bat an eye when i when i displayed my utter disgust. He say he only gets an oil change when he has time or its over a year!!!So, i would imagine he has went further than that multiple times.Id say ur good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back