Honda oil changes without filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
^one person's neglect of a vehicle and now its "ok" for all of us to do the same?
33.gif

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that not every car is used the same. Geographical location plays a big part in maintaining a car too. What's good for one person might not be for someone else. I just spent a week in WA, I only wish my driving conditions were the same here at home, for maintaining a vehicle and the reduction of driving stress. I'm positive my car would be in better condition, the suspension, the body, the engine, transmission, brakes, etc. So under perfect conditions using a filter for 2 OCIs is not a problem, under other conditions it might not be a good idea. I can only imagine the Honda engine Trav pulled apart if the owner changed the oil every 7500 miles and the filter every 15,000 miles. To me saving $5-$10 per vehicle a year isn't worth it. JMO

It's a risk and it's something you should MONITOR if you chose to do this. This makes your choice of oil filter even more critical. You want larger capacity, IMO. Not OEM.

Honda recommends (or used to) 20K mile filter changes in the 4 cyl engines. I would never feel good about going that long but I have changed the filter every other change before and it doesnt bother me one bit.

Originally Posted By: Artem
^one person's neglect of a vehicle and now its "ok" for all of us to do the same?
33.gif

Or...I'd say if Honda recommends it, Yes You would still be good to go. Never did I say run YOUR car with dino to 15,000 miles. Just said its been done many times without hitch. Ah, whatever. Change you oil and filter every 200 miles.Thats what I recommend for everyone. Your vehicle is not gonna self implode or explode if you run the filter two OCIs.

When I had a Honda & Acura I used to do filter changes every other OCI. But that was when I used dino and changed at < 5000 miles. When I switched to synthetic, I changed both the oil and filter at 8000 mi

20k filter changes is nuts

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

Only to the people who think they know more than the engineers that designed the engine.

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47

Only to the people who think they know more than the engineers that designed the engine.

Didn't Amsoil shorten the filter change interval for some Honda and Toyota applications to 15,000 miles from 25,000 miles now? In fact they designated a new name for them, Ea15K. Engineers can make mistakes too. Admitting to it is a good thing though.

I could see under good driving conditions possibly leaving a filter on for 15,000 miles, but not severe service with a small filter. If the OLM is telling you to change the oil at 10,000 miles on a Honda why run the filter for 20K? Especially knowing there's been some issues running a premium filter like Amsoil's past 15K. Not worth it IMO, sorry.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Didn't Amsoil shorten the filter change interval for some Honda and Toyota applications to 15,000 miles from 25,000 miles now? In fact they designated a new name for them, Ea15K. Engineers can make mistakes too. Admitting to it is a good thing though.

I could see under good driving conditions possibly leaving a filter on for 15,000 miles, but not severe service with a small filter. If the OLM is telling you to change the oil at 10,000 miles on a Honda why run the filter for 20K? Especially knowing there's been some issues running a premium filter like Amsoil's past 15K. Not worth it IMO, sorry.

Well, it was/is obviously a problem with the Amsoil filter. [I like and use amsoil products (currently using thier MTF). So, that's not a bash to Amsoil] But, I haven't heard of anyone having problems when they run the honda brand oil filters. That's what I've been running for a few years now. Some people don't like them, though. I think they're scared of them being made by fram and honeywell. But like I said...I've had, nor heard, of any problems with them.

I wasn't bashing Amsoil either, I was trying to make a point. If a company associated with top quality products saw a problem I for one would be cautious. I'd set the filter limit at 15K miles. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I've been recycling used M1 and Amsoil filters for years. I would run them for 3k in my Honda and then reuse it in another Honda for an additional 6-10k depending on application, mileage and oil used.

No issues so far

ArtemI've been recycling used M1 and Amsoil filters for years. I would run them for 3k in my Honda and then reuse it in another Honda for an additional 6-10k depending on application said:
I see no problem with that, but you aren't running them for 15,000-20,000 miles. If the OLM allows 8,000 miles you'd be logging 16,000 miles using the filter for 2 OCIs.

^i'm working my way up to using them longer. I trash it after 3k from my car and then use it for the full OLM from the next Honda, which is usually 8-10k depending on model.

After that, the filter has a good 10-13k on it and i don't feel good about continued use, esp the new Amsoil 15k filters.

I'm sure cheaper less efficient filters could keep going for maybe another 3-5k in a THIRD car but i don't want to push my luck... too much at stake (servicing my neighbors and friends cars)

Not a bad idea. I'm going to start using my spent P1 filters transfering them from my 08 Jeep to my Beater Aerostar. Both use the 20195 filters. I'm going to start looking at 4x4's to replace it with, I'll be saving a few $$$ and recycling filters while I wait for the right vehicle.

Again, On my TL which I OWN i have been doing filter changes with every oil change...

The MDX is a 3 year lease so Honda owns it...I am going to follow the OLM and do every other filter changes ...should be about 15K per filter...I figure they know better...

Originally Posted By: Artem
^on top of saving some coin, you're being GREEN by recycling
thumbsup2.gif

That's what I figure. It is the only vehicle in my fleet that I'd do it with.

Ok, I'm convinced. 2 OCIs per honda oil filter = 20k miles on our Fit. But in a 1.5L 4cyl with low wear rates shedding off miniscule particulates, I can see pushing that thing out to 20k (about 1 year in our case).

On the larger 3+ liter Acura and Honda 6cly engines I'm not so sure I would do this.

It breaks down to risk vs. reward. The risk of a filter clogging up say halfway through OCI #2 due to particulates from the engine and running a few thousand miles with unfiltered oil is probably very small. Especially in a well maintained engine and quality oil. The reward being saving $5 every other oil change and no throwing away some hazardous materials.

I guess for me it would boil down to whether you're interested in changing spark plugs, running fuel injector cleaner once in awhile, monitoring your fuel consumption etc so that you have a feel for how the engine is working, then there's little risk of stretching out the "OFI", but if you don't really pay much attention to that stuff then I'd probably advise changing it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back