Honda oil changes without filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I want to sleep good at night so i just change the filter every OC.

+1 around $6 every 6 months is too cheap to think much.

I know when I used to take my element in for changes at the Honda garage, even though the MM said to change the oil and not the filter the garage still changed the filter every time.
They said they change the filter with every change. The filter only comes out to about $3-$5, so why not just change it every time.

I change mine every time on my CR-V. I get the pureones for $3 with the AAP deals. I think it is a nice preventative measure. I want to keep this car forever and it makes me feel better.

I'm considering every third or 27k filter change on the '03 2.4 driving my OCI cost below $3.50

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I'm considering every third or 27k filter change on the '03 2.4 driving my OCI cost below $3.50

That's beyond pushing it even with a top quality oil filter unless you're using a multiple filter set up. Forgot what they call that multiple filter set up.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

That's beyond pushing it even with a top quality oil filter unless you're using a multiple filter set up. Forgot what they call that multiple filter set up.

Whimsey

the uoa's come back golden @18k problem is no standard like API on filters and I'm all over the place on brands chasing sales..current batch was the P1 @$3

I wouldn't be scared. I'm considering doing it myself.

I posted this earlier in the thread and was hoping to get a triple dog dare or something but no one seemed interested:

"I have gone 18-20K miles on one filter (every other OCI) in my Civic a couple times. I currently have 9K on my WIX and Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 and I am planning on running both at least 20K, possibly 25K and doing a UOA with cut open filter pics and pics of used oil compared to new M1 AFE. If I don't chicken out. It will take me approx another 3 months to put 10-12K more miles on the car."

Just to prove the naysayers wrong......

Hi,
just to add a little more reality

IMO the OEM's filters will exceed their recommendations by a very good margin! I would be wary of non OEM filters of "unknown" origin or quality!

In my case (DD Series 60 500hp diesels) I systematically went out to twice and then triple the recommendations. Filters were cut open and contents analysed each time - especially for media faults and the amount of capacity left. For me agglomerated "soot" was the issue. We estimated that four times the recommendation was about the max. After fitting centrifuge cleaners and using Donaldson's Synteq media FF filters we were able to go out to 9+ times the original recommendation - media breakdown never occurred. The greatest (but minor) issue was the filter to block seal that tended to seep and loosen! Later I used 40mic SS cleanable FF inserts - we always checked filters for security fortnightly - every 10kkms

These engines cost around $A60 000 each!

Anybody familar with early aircooled VWs will know what fine mesh screens can collect - no other filters of course. And many VW engines lasted a very long time to first rebuild!

Mostly any change from an "accepted practice" is an emotional one.

Where an engine Manufacturer recommends an OCI and filter change interval it is wise to work from there - IME their Engineers know best

Originally Posted By: mitsuman47
Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
20k filter changes is nuts

Only to the people who think they know more than the engineers that designed the engine.

Hmm, my guess is the the "Engineers" change oil in their vehicles more often than the average owner. Also, whatever their best practice intentions for the engines they "design", the message gets lost in the sauce after marketing and accounting get ahold of the language of the service manual.

Frankly, owners on BitOG do know more about their personal car engine, in terms of driving conditions and service needs, than can be written in a single line of a service manual. There are more examples of lubrication failures of engines on recommended service than I can count.

As far as filter changes, I'm doing 3 changes a year on the same filter. Why should I toss a $15 filter after 3000 to 5000 miles? I'm straining to go 3k in 4 months, but it's a lot of short trips so I'm still going to change it 3x a year. A case of new filters would do me zero good.

The idea of "sleeping better" because someone can not offer a better reason to keep changing perfectly good filters is laughable to the rational observer. Same with the failed metaphor of dirty underwear, is that the level we are operating on here now?

Only to the people who think they know more than the engineers that designed the engine.

It has nothing to do with whether someone thinks they're smarter than an engineer. A consumer may have different longevity requirements for their vehicle. He may want his engine to last 300k miles, but the engineer who designed the engine may have had a design requirement for 200k miles.

It has nothing to do with whether someone thinks they're smarter than an engineer. A consumer may have different longevity requirements for their vehicle. He may want his engine to last 300k miles, but the engineer who designed the engine may have had a design requirement for 200k miles.

Good point. The size of some of these Honda filters scares me, and the fact that Amsoil dropped filter life to 15K intervals in some of the Honda applications doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

I have to put the Hondas I maintain on ramps anyway. While it's up on the ramps, I'm going to change the filter. They're relatively inexpensive, and a fresh filter can't hurt, otherwise dealer OC's wouldn't change every time. That plus, I'm doing up to 1 year OCI's on one vehicle.

But, for those who are comfortable following the every other time Honda recommendation, I have no evidence the engine will not last just as long as every OCI.

I am the biggest Honda fan of the face of the earth. Nevertheless, I feel that Honda's recommendation to change the filter every other oil change is absolute folly. To me, it is simply a matter of economics. A filter is $5.00. My car costs over $20,000.00. I keep my cars forever. End of the story.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie

The idea of "sleeping better" because someone can not offer a better reason to keep changing perfectly good filters is laughable to the rational observer.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
It's not the end of the story, because you didn't state a technical reason..."why?".

Dude, why are you so obsessed with needing a reason?

I don't think audijunkie NEEDS a reason. But, if someone is going to put their two cents into the conversation, then he (like most of us) would like at least some technical reasoning to be behind their comments.

Not just, "I'd like to sleep at night."

I don't think audijunkie NEEDS a reason. But, if someone is going to put their two cents into the conversation, then he (like most of us) would like at least some technical reasoning to be behind their comments.

Not just, "I'd like to sleep at night."

Well, the OP asked how we felt about a Honda recommendation...IE our opinion. Not all of us are engineers that work for SOPUS. I'm sure that *GASP* some of us choose our oil based on the good ol' "butt dyno" or what is on sale.
shocked.gif
Not everything posted on here is based upon technical reasoning. If someone wants to change a filter every time vs every other time, and it makes him/her happy, then so be it. To each their own.

Originally Posted By: z917990
I am the biggest Honda fan of the face of the earth. Nevertheless, I feel that Honda's recommendation to change the filter every other oil change is absolute folly. To me, it is simply a matter of economics. A filter is $5.00. My car costs over $20,000.00. I keep my cars forever. End of the story.

+1,000,000

I would like to see a few of these filter's cut open after being used for two long OCI's. I have not seen any. I have cut a Quaker State after only 9k and I'm not sure I'd trust your average garden filter for two OCI's and total miles over 12-15k....

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: z917990

+1,000,000

The only reason I would skip a filter change on a Honda is that until recently, they are a PITA to get to and change. You get all covered in dirty oil along with all your front suspension pieces. My 05 Accord 4 cyl was horrible.

I will follow Honda's recommendation and will skip filter with this first change...If I have time I will cut the filter after second change and post it....

MDX uses same filter as my TL so I have an extra filter for the TL!

The car is a 3 year lease and if there is a problem they own the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back