Honda Odyssey Break In and Winter Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue,

Yes there is this "evidence" that oil with some wear debris produced less wear than clean oil. I'd like the read the actual studies. How many engines, how used was the oil, what was the engine and its condition? Was it still breaking in, and therefore metals reduced per mile of use regardless of oil used, etc. Were the engines torn down and tolerances measured before and after the test? What were the enviromental conditions? Did the seasons change during the test?

They say compulsive oil changers are causing more engine wear. Again, what were the parameters? Was the filter pre filled each time? If not this could explain the increased wear with more changes. Finally, note the word "some wear debris" in the text in your study. What is "some"? 10% more debris than new oil? 50% more? What is the point the oil became too dirty and wear began to increase? Oh, they don't tell us. These studies are far too loosey-goosey for us to claim a definitive answer.

Then, let's look at empirical evidence. I have seen dozens of motors that have had and contine to have a long life with oil changes in the 3k-5k range. Conversely, I have seen at least 5 engines that went to an early grave and had spotty oil change history. Granted it is a small sample, but my real world experience has been that engines with shorter oil change intervals seem to last longer than engines that don't.

One more point: I travel constantly for business. Some years ago I became curious about the practices of taxi drivers and how many miles they get out of their engines. I have spoken to drivers in every major metro area in our country. None have ever said they get less than 250k miles out of an engine. Several said they get 400k. Now, how often do they change the oil? 3k miles. Most drivers I have spoke with change it every week to two weeks, depending on wheter the cab is use 24-hours a day or not. This equates to 3k-3.5k intervals. This includes Yellow cab in NY. Now if long intervals didn't matter, why would this company bother with changing the oil every week?

In any case, I'll keep doing what I want until you pry my 14mm 3/8 drive socket from my cold dead hands.

Blue,

By the way you left a few significant disclaimers out of your quotes from the studies:

1. "Although based on limited data ..."
2. As such, the impact of testing with significantly stressed oil was not measured and remains a future objective.

C'mon blue! They just admitted testing with partially used oil was not measured and will be a "future objective"

(and somehow, no positive results have been found in the last 6 years since this was done. Hmmmmm)

Merlin - Look, no one is telling you what OCI to use on your ride. Change it as little or as often as you want!

Most members on this site probably do not buy into the theory on the enhanced lubricating qualities of used or stressed oil! I certainly don't, but it is a legitimate theory, as evidenced by the SAE paper.

The point to take away from the studies is that the anti-wear chemistry of used or stressed oil is still functioning, even though both the oxidative life & TBN may be used up.

The point about wear metals is that some wear metal particles in the oil stream does not automatically generate more wear metal particles by a factor of X.

Again, the particle size is very small, typically in the 5-10 micron range.

Let's put it this way: This factory fill business, just change it out when you feel comfortable doing so. Whether you changed it out at 500, 1000, 3000, 5000, or 7000, the engine will easily last 200K provided that it is given regular oil changes throughout its life, and all other maint. (esp. timing belt) is not neglected.

The wear metals may drop more rapidly if the factory fill is changed out earlier, but it won't cause any damage to the engine if you left it in.

Frequency of the timing belt replacements has nothing to do with longevity of the non-interference engine.
Besides, doesn't Honda use timing chains in the V6?

quote:

Frequency of the timing belt replacements has nothing to do with longevity of the non-interference engine.

Please elaborate...I'm not sure if I understood what you meant...My point was that most engines don't die of a lube related failure...more often that not, they die because of overheating or timing belts goin bust.

quote:

Besides, doesn't Honda use timing chains in the V6?

All Honda V6 engines, which are VTEC, have a timing belt that must be replaced at 105,000 miles, which is the same time that the Spark Plugs must be replaced. The 4-cyl Honda engines with the i-VTEC technology uses a timing chain.

quote:

most engines don't die of a lube related failure...more often that not, they die because of overheating or timing belts goin bust.

With Odyssey and some other minivans, more used vans are sold, traded or die because of transmission failure than engine failure. Cost: $4000 or more when out of warranty for Odyssey.

quote:

My point was that most engines don't die of a lube related failure...more often that not, they die because of overheating or timing belts goin bust

Again, assuming that the Honda engine is of the non-interference design it won't suffer any mechanical damage during or after the belt failure.
You specifically pointed out the importance of the regular belt replacements.
Well since it needs to be done every 100K and usually will last much longer than that the belt replacements regularity don't really affect your engine longevity.

My daughter's 2005 Odessy has the engine that switches from 6 to 3 cylinders according to power needs. In the break-in section of the manual it says: "Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time." Scheduled maintenance is according to the reading on the dash, which last time I checked said 50% of oil life was left (at about 4,000 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back