Honda MTF, 8707 miles, 2004 S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Also, I wonder why Amsoil uses engine oil viscosity grades to identify a gear oil.

1) Because it's a transmission oil/fluid not a differential/transaxle fluid. Amsoil is trying to keep people from accidentally putting MTF in differential/transaxles.

2) Because many MT's used to call for XW-30 oil. The average joe would get baffled with 70W-80.

I do the intelligent BITOG thing and talk 100°C cSt. Not SAE grades.

I don't think your explanation helps me much Pablo.

"1) Because it's a transmission oil/fluid not a differential/transaxle fluid. Amsoil is trying to keep people from accidentally putting MTF in differential/transaxles."

From batch #13427 258 the back label states a couple of times that it is designed for manual transmissions and transaxles, it even replaces Honda MTF for manual transaxles (nothing about Honda Manual transmissions).

"2) Because many MT's used to call for XW-30 oil. The average joe would get baffled with 70W-80."

You would think that they would put at least something that references viscosity on either the front or back label. That baffles me more than by publishing a SAE 30 or SAE 80 rating.

"I do the intelligent BITOG thing and talk 100°C cSt. Not SAE grades."

Oxymoron? I would like to see this on the label too though.

Regardless, it does work well for me in my S2000. I think Amsoil should recommend it for Honda MT's.

Thanks.

Quote:
AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF) is a premium-quality synthetic lubricant designed to surpass the most demanding lubrication requirements of manual transmissions and transaxles where non-extreme pressure fluids are used.

I could have been more clear, that's for sure. Amsoil does not want people putting MTF in applications where an EP fluid is needed, so they do NOT put any gear oil type of labeling on the bottle.

Quote:
Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles....

Amsoil MTF link

I just hope it can go longer than the fill I recently had when first servicing this M/T. The mechanic 'says' they used Honda Genuine MTF, but I can't say for sure. The shifting got bad after 5,000 miles or so. I don't know about prior servicing for the transmission fluid though, so it's hard to say if it needs perhaps even another shorter interval. I changed that fill at 18,000 miles total for the Amsoil MTF.

PS: The link Pablo dropped mentions 5w-30 still.

Something else that I'm pleased about using Ams MTF, and the previous fill of Schaeffer's #703 10W-30 is the 1st gear staying in gear. While using Honda MTF II, my car would occasionally pop out of first gear while starting from a dead stop. This has not happened since changing fluids (over a year). Honda has a TSB for popping out of 2nd and 4th gear on my vehicle that requires replacing gears. I've never experienced problems with 2nd or 4th gear popping out though. Normally, I would consider a synchro problem causing this. But now, I think it might be a fluid viscosity or FM issue with Honda MTF II.

So, you drove 3,000 miles in about 7 months and are still on the first fill of Amsoil's MTF? I'm hoping to get 2 years out of this fill(25,000 miles there about) or at least 1 year intervals. *cross fingers*

I believe this is the original transmission and it may even have the original clutch too, which probably needs replacing by next summer. Disk slipping on WOT between 1st and 2nd.

I know my synchros are fairly worn and all gears will be 'notchy' from time to time, but I'd imagine this fluid will perform best and show it's real stuff this winter. For me anyway, you may be alright in the dead on winter on Honda Genuine II MTF.

"So, you drove 3,000 miles in about 7 months and are still on the first fill of Amsoil's MTF?"

It was in service for 8 months/3400 miles. It got a fresh fill on Saturday, along with some fresh diff oil. A short test drive afterwards suggested that it did need changed. I haven't had a chance to drive it since though.

I have no idea how long it will last in your Civic. Your clutch sounds like it could be more of an issue than tranny fluid. That's what I would concentrate on if I were you.

^Thanks for sharing your experience, and for the tip.
thumbsup2.gif
Definitely going to be getting into a clutch replacement soon.
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back