Vehicle: 2004 Honda Accord
Engine: 2.4L K24
OCI mileage: 9,245 miles
OCI length: almost 10 months
OLM: N/A
Oil: Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20
Oil Filter: Fram Ultra XG7317
Make up oil: 1/2 Quart
Driving conditions: 60/40 (Highway/City) with many short trips over the winter.

Code:

8/22/15 UNIV. AVG

ALUMINUM 4 4

CHROMIUM 1 0

IRON 9 9

COPPER 1 2

LEAD 0 1

TIN 2 1

MOLYBDENUM 77 74

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 1

POTASSIUM 4 3

BORON 32 47

SILICON 13 13

SODIUM 9 47

CALCIUM 1038 2076

MAGNESIUM 802 193

PHOSPHORUS 602 688

ZINC 720 811

BARIUM 0 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 53.8

cSt @ 212ºF 8.42

FLASHPOINT ºF 440

FUEL
ANTIFREEZE % 0.0

WATER % 0.0

INSOLUABLES % 0.1

TBN 2.7

INSOLUBLES 0.4

WATER 0

Looks great. If you look a few posts down, I recently posted a UOA on my 2010 Accord. The wear looks remarkably similar, except I ran PU and a dose of LG Biotech.

I honestly think we can run just about anything we want in these 4 cylinder Honda engines. They could care less.

You achieved the coveted average of 1 ppm Fe per 1,000 miles driven. All the more impressive with only 1/2 qt. make-up oil in 9k mi. She's a keeper. Well done.

Equal to or less than the universal averages so it looks good. The only thing of note is the insolubles are at 0.4, typically the limit is 0.6. Nothing to be overly concerned about, just something to keep in mind.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Equal to or less than the universal averages so it looks good. The only thing of note is the insolubles are at 0.4, typically the limit is 0.6. Nothing to be overly concerned about, just something to keep in mind.

Thanks to everybody for their feedback. Apparently the Universal Averages are based on ~6,900 miles.

The insolubles are supposed to be 0.1 but I am unable to edit, probably due to my post count at this point.

Last edited:
I think most, if not all, Honda 4-cyl engines are very easy on oil. It can run with almost any name brand synthetic oil to 10k.

With TBN of 2.7 after 9k miles, the driving condition is a little hard on oil(because of many short trips in winter), but this 0W20 EP can still be used for another 2-3k miles in this engine.

Extrapolating this UOA I can say that with mostly highway drives M1 0W20 EP can easily do 15k miles OCI in this engine.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Looks great. If you look a few posts down, I recently posted a UOA on my 2010 Accord. The wear looks remarkably similar, except I ran PU and a dose of LG Biotech.

I honestly think we can run just about anything we want in these 4 cylinder Honda engines. They could care less.

Cool.. I'll check it out.

This car has been owned since new and I always have run synthetic from Amsoil or Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrFixerUpper
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Thanks to everybody for their feedback. Apparently the Universal Averages are based on ~6,900 miles.

The insolubles are supposed to be 0.1 but I am unable to edit, probably due to my post count at this point.

It isn't about post count, you can only edit your post within 10-15 minutes window after you submit it.

Nice report. Using the same combo in my 2014 Accord with the K24. Obviously a bit different engine, but confident with my 80/20 highway split that this combo can go 10k fairly easily.

I went this far blindly based on fellow forum users. Admittedly I changed out the 0W-20 for 5W-20 M1 EP on this OC. Probably for no good reason after seeing this report. I felt that the oil consumption might reduce or stop. Any feedback on that point?

Originally Posted By: MrFixerUpper
I went this far blindly based on fellow forum users. Admittedly I changed out the 0W-20 for 5W-20 M1 EP on this OC. Probably for no good reason after seeing this report. I felt that the oil consumption might reduce or stop. Any feedback on that point?

You barely used any oil. 1/2 quart in 9,000 miles is excellent. A 5w-20 won't reduce oil consumption (if you needed to). Going to a 0w-30 M1 AFE oil might reduce it a little, a thicker oil by a small amount.

How many miles on the car?

I have the same year, an '04 I4 EX 5-manual. I have run several UOA. If you have not seen them, I'll post a link or can PM you.

BTW, I recently replaced both axles after the drive axle (passenger side) broke in half @156k miles. The boots were fine but the axle has a donut on it, mid-way up the axle, which can hold moisture and salt and can rust out. I found this out after the fact. So if you have not done so, the next time the car is in the air you may want to check out your axles.

Nice report, BTW. My Accord has been great; stellar engine, excellent manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
How many miles on the car?

The car had 108,945 when the sample was taken. Thanks for the info on the shafts. I'm familiar with that donut...time to take a look since this car sees a lot of winter and miles in storms to go skiing.

I'm going to have to change the oil pan on this car next OC due to rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back