M1 AFE 0w-20; 6,000 miles; '11 Honda CRV 54,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cardiobuck
Originally Posted By: tig1
Easily a 10K oil.

In this car, with the way it is used, I disagree. Remember its duty cycle is 95% city. Poor thing spends 1/2 of it's life at less than full operating temp. By saying it can do 10K you are telling me to keep it in another 5 months and do another 4,000 miles.
With 6K oil changes the flashpoint range is 340-380. And all samples are taken after my 40 minute highway loop(virtually the only time it is on the hwy). I don't dare post a UOA without the highway loop first: everyone here would be telling me how messed up my engine is and how I need to check this part and that part.
You think 10K with 5 more months is a good idea? All that time at less than full operating temp running rich and leaving behind more and more fuel?

I like the M1 AFE and I like that the TBN here is higher leaving a little more headroom than the previous oil but my plan is to keep her at 6k.
Now in my Accord, the 80% highway car with M1 EP, yes sir it will be there for 10K.

Nothing wrong with keeping her at a 6K interval.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Fuel. Flashpoint. Insolubles. Not sure I'd make a 40% jump in OCI based off this UOA. If anything, I'd run the MM to 0% which should give him roughly 7200-7300 based on his usage and resample. I suspect that may be about all that's reliably left here. Don't forget his usage is "95% city daily short tripper". I understand 10k works well for you with M1, but for the OP's specific application I'm not sure its his best course of action. Having said that, I'd gladly concede to a satisfactory 10K sample from the OP.

It's actually a 60+ percent increase in duration.

No leap of faith for me. Where is the evidence it won't go to 10K is the question you should ask.

Given that UOAs are a tool for oil serviceability, this is indicating that the oil life monitor as developed by Honda's engineers is about spot on.

Seriously, you are just plucking that statement out of your rear end...

What WILL the viscosity and flash point likely be at the end of your 10,000 miles, when it's only just in grade at 6,000 ?

You said "you are plucking that statement out of your rear end". Why would a man of your supposed intelligence need to address me in that manner?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Easily a 10K oil.

In this car, with the way it is used, I disagree. Remember its duty cycle is 95% city. Poor thing spends 1/2 of it's life at less than full operating temp. By saying it can do 10K you are telling me to keep it in another 5 months and do another 4,000 miles.
With 6K oil changes the flashpoint range is 340-380. And all samples are taken after my 40 minute highway loop(virtually the only time it is on the hwy). I don't dare post a UOA without the highway loop first: everyone here would be telling me how messed up my engine is and how I need to check this part and that part.
You think 10K with 5 more months is a good idea? All that time at less than full operating temp running rich and leaving behind more and more fuel?

I like the M1 AFE and I like that the TBN here is higher leaving a little more headroom than the previous oil but my plan is to keep her at 6k.
Now in my Accord, the 80% highway car with M1 EP, yes sir it will be there for 10K.

wink.gif

+1. Certainly nothing wrong with a 6K OCI. However since the fuel, coolant, silicon, viscosity, metals, and TBN are all fine. (The FP could be higher, but there still is no worries with that.) I believe this oil(M1 0-20) will easily go 10K.

Also to the OP. Your UOA just shows how good M1 0-20 is. With 95% local driving the oil still performed very well. My Ford Focus is our grocery getter and does 65-80% local driving. I have used M1 0-20 in it for several years, all at 10K , and the engine still performs great.

Last edited:
I certainly feel you could go further if you cared to. All your numbers are fine and really one long drive (a couple hours) in the summer gets your fuel dilution down.

Easily a 10K oil.

wink.gif

+1. Certainly nothing wrong with a 6K OCI. However since the fuel, coolant, silicon, viscosity, metals, and TBN are all fine. (The FP could be higher, but there still is no worries with that.) I believe this oil(M1 0-20) will easily go 10K.

Also to the OP. Your UOA just shows how good M1 0-20 is. With 95% local driving the oil still performed very well. My Ford Focus is our grocery getter and does 65-80% local driving. I have used M1 0-20 in it for several years, all at 10K , and the engine still performs great.

It might very well go 10K miles. Jumping from 6K to 10K is a big leap w/o a UOA to back it up. For $30 I'd do the UOA and be 100% sure. That's the only point I'm trying to make here.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/graemlins/wink.gif[/IMG]

It might very well go 10K miles. Jumping from 6K to 10K is a big leap w/o a UOA to back it up. For $30 I'd do the UOA and be 100% sure. That's the only point I'm trying to make here.

I agree. I would do a UOA at say 7K if I purchased a turbo powered engine to see if 10K was doable, for example. In the OPs case, his UOA appeared fine for a longer OCI.

I agree. I would do a UOA at say 7K if I purchased a turbo powered engine to see if 10K was doable, for example. In the OPs case, his UOA appeared fine for a longer OCI.

Yes the UOA showed the oil could stay in service longer. The question is could it stay in service 4K miles longer? Maybe, maybe not, there was some fuel dilution. So for another $30 the OP could run another OCI for 8K miles and do another UOA, or go for broke, 10K miles and do a UOA and know for sure, either way. That's all I'm trying to say here. This is not a Mobil 1 bash, I've used it for many years w/o issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back