Honda extends powertrain warranty on X gen Civics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the SkyActiv X is only available in Europe and only on the Mazda3. Mazda is being cautious in bringing this engine out to mass production.

By the time it gets here the Alabama plant might be up and running and then you could go with the Mazyota Cx-X which has been in the news recently. That plant was to make Corollas but that has been shelved in favor of a new crossover. The new CX will also be available in a EV or hybrid package.

Originally Posted by parshisa
Not sure what's all this buzz is about. As stated above, run higher octane (which i've been doing for the past 30K - costco premium), bump up oil viscosity - 5w30 for me, and do some highway speeds - driving i45 daily. Knock on wood, all good so far. This 1.5T is an amazing engine, MAP performance managed to push 500hp at the crank without breaking anything

Yeah, but 99.999999999999999999% of Honda Civic customers are not BITOG addicts.

Just got that letter last night for the wife's car. She averages at least 85 miles a day, 75% highway miles, so I haven't had any of the dilution problems. I even asked my dealer about it and he was straight up and said that there have been some problems, mainly cold engine issues, but he said as much as we drive, don't worry about it. So I haven't. But what I'm getting fished off about is I bought an extended warranty from Honda. Now they are offering free extended warranty based the basic one, will they prorate what I paid for that coverage and kick back me some of my money?

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by skyactiv
The problem is Average Joe. And from the premium gas discussions we've had on BITOG, many here are an Average Joe.

Why do you think GM said they want a new high octane standard gas? GM isin't the only auto maker wanting the petro industry to do away with 87 octane.

The problem is that the auto makers put these engines in vehicles and know they cant sell them to Average Joe saying, oh BTW, your new CRV, Civic.. requires 91 octane or higher.
The auto maker in return puts a crap tune allowing a TGDI engine to survive on 87 octane.

I am at over 60,000 miles on my 2.0 LTG Turbo in the Malibu. No issues. I have run 87 before, it just pulls back the timing. I can see in the data from my laptop.

While it does run a lot better on premium the car is more than capable of using 87. Knock on wood 60,000 isn't all the much but it has not been back to shop for anything.

I do 4000 mile oil changes and spark plugs are due.

But the higher octane and lower sulfur gas makes for better efficiency allows for more advanced timing and cleaner burn.

Yep not denying that, just sayin the car ran fine on other stuff for what my wife does with it. We run premium in it all the time now after we had a little talk about it.

I'm in the same shoes. I've got an extended warranty but primarily not due to engine concerns, but A/C and other electronics. These civic la do have an AC issue with compressor failing and it is a costly repair. I do plan to hold onto the warranty and enjoy the car on a daily basis lol

Originally Posted by parshisa
Not sure what's all this buzz is about. As stated above, run higher octane (which i've been doing for the past 30K - costco premium), bump up oil viscosity - 5w30 for me, and do some highway speeds - driving i45 daily. Knock on wood, all good so far. This 1.5T is an amazing engine, MAP performance managed to push 500hp at the crank without breaking anything

Aside from guys that paid for the warranty extension, owners should be pleased. Hopefully, Honda will refund these folks.

I suspect that a remap for boost /spark/fuel and a maintenance minder OLM re-calibration will satisfy most issues.

Big boost version sounds like fun although one can get amazing HP out of stock internals of just about anything with aftermarket parts, race fuel, coolant, and dyno load control

Don't know about the 1.5, but the 2.4 /2.0 and the 3.5 have a multi-pattern DI injector situated behind and between the intake valves so they can get a cleansing wash to keep deposits at bay I would imagine the 1.5 got the same treatment.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Schmoe
Just got that letter last night for the wife's car. She averages at least 85 miles a day, 75% highway miles, so I haven't had any of the dilution problems. I even asked my dealer about it and he was straight up and said that there have been some problems, mainly cold engine issues, but he said as much as we drive, don't worry about it. So I haven't. But what I'm getting fished off about is I bought an extended warranty from Honda. Now they are offering free extended warranty based the basic one, will they prorate what I paid for that coverage and kick back me some of my money?

Nice when service folks will fess up and be truthful, that is a RARE store indeed. These people should be rewarded for doing their job honestly and serving the customer.

hmmm. 2018 civic sport, 1.5T MT in our family, son's car. In the Sport model, the book calls for high octane fuel and it gets it. It's a delight in all manners to drive, and he has learned how to work the engine and the 6spd. I'm watching it for rising oil level and saw maybe 1/4 qt during last OC, but it so far has had no issues runs like a scalded swiss watch dog (scalded dog + swiss watch).

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Glad I have a 2013 Civic Si...no stability control, no TPMS, no direct injection..none of the nannies that cause issues and the traction control can be completely turned off.
coffee2.gif

Your SI has stability control. Heck, I think my previous '07 SI was one of the first ones to get VSA.

Edit: if Google can be believed, stability control was made mandatory as of 2012 MY's for all makes.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Manufacturers are free to specify the minimum octane rating as they wish. There are plenty of vehicles on the road that require premium fuel and people don't seem to complain.

Artificially forcing the market to offer less choices because of some technical difficulties is never a good choice for the end user. These companies pushing for higher octane are simply lazy. They want what's best for them, not the buyer.

Fact is that higher efficiency ICE require high octane fuel burn, it's that simple. Europe has these higher efficiency engines and because the fuel is high octane and has less
impurities like sulfur in it is burns cleaner with far less deposits left behind creating problems later on.

You don't need to tell me what they have in EU as I lived there. Their higher fuel economy mostly comes from small engine displacement, not better fuel.
They do have better quality fuel though, not going to argue against that, but they pay a very high premium for it.

Everyone in US is free to use premium right now, why do you feel it needs to be mandated? You do understand that whatever fuel efficiency gains it might bring, will be swallowed whole and then some by increased fuel prices?

If manufacturers mandated higher-octane fuel, it would become more prevalent. As older cars die off, lower-octane fuel can be phased-out, too.

If all there was was higher-octane, then wouldn't there be the benefit of economies of scale? In other words, I would bet that the price of premium would be right between where 87 and 93 AKI are today, if only 93 was available. I'm not talking about my local, price-gouging Shell station; I'm speculating, based on the usual markup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool

If manufacturers mandated higher-octane fuel, it would become more prevalent. As older cars die off, lower-octane fuel can be phased-out, too.

If all there was was higher-octane, then wouldn't there be the benefit of economies of scale? In other words, I would bet that the price of premium would be right between where 87 and 93 AKI are today, if only 93 was available. I'm not talking about my local, price-gouging Shell station; I'm speculating, based on the usual markup.

But the suggestion to mandate premium fuel was on the government level, not from manufacturers. I have no problem with manufacturers mandating premium in their vehicles.

Besides, here is a 2016 AAA study showing that over 16 million drivers use premium in vehicles that require regular, spending $2.1 billion dollars needlessly in that year alone. So the economies of scale are already there.
Also here is a chart showing how the price between premium and regular gasoline has been increasing over the years.

What you fail to realize is that once the government mandates something, it is very hard to reverse it. The manufacturers lobby for this because it will help them meet the CAFE mandates and they will get more carbon credits with basically no investment of their own. The price of gas is quite irrelevant to them.

So inseat of focusing at the carrot being dangled in front of you, look past it and think how it all may play out long term for the consumers. And less choices in the marketplace always mean the consumer gets the short end of the deal.

[Linked Image]

AAA premium vs regular report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back