Honda extends powertrain warranty on X gen Civics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Received a warranty extension letter today for my '17 1.5T Civic. Got me really thinking on why they are expecting damage to all of those components listed. Fuel dilution and low oil viscosity? any other thoughts?

[Linked Image]

not as good as subarus 100 thou or 10 yr CVT warranty for 18 + newer models, more confidence!!!!

Originally Posted by edyvw
It is just amazing that this issue exists in 2019. It is like they never heard of "learn on other peoples mistakes."

Honda should have followed their best instincts and REFUSED to use the turbo engines with DI. I would bet that the old school engineers that are still at Honda begged the
bean counters to avoid these too. Too bad Mr. Honda isn't still alive, the foibles that have plagued Honda since his death would have never occurred.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by edyvw
It is just amazing that this issue exists in 2019. It is like they never heard of "learn on other peoples mistakes."

Honda should have followed their best instincts and REFUSED to use the turbo engines with DI. I would bet that the old school engineers that are still at Honda begged the
bean counters to avoid these too. Too bad Mr. Honda isn't still alive, the foibles that have plagued Honda since his death would have never occurred.

They would fall behind competition and would not be competitive.
Early adopters of this technology (Europeans) had these issues in mid-2000's. Not anymore. So, how Honda (and FORD) failed to peak at other peoples problems?

The main failures seem to be misfires which makes me think something is going wrong with the VVT mechanism or timing chain. If I've guessed that properly, then; I wonder if there's a way to detect an out-of-spec condition using diagnostic tools and/or software.

Ray

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
And yet there is no problem in Eu.

Is it possible that synthetic timing belts are used in Eu instead of chains? I don't know where these engines are built but, it's not uncommon for engines to have component variances based on which factory they were built.

Originally Posted by benjy
not as good as subarus 100 thou or 10 yr CVT warranty for 18 + newer models, more confidence!!!!

What happens when my Subaru has 100K miles. CVT transmission will fail?

Do these engines allow 87 AKI fuel, but recommend higher octane?

Maybe one of the upcoming software updates will make the knock mitigation scheme more aggressive.

The problem is Average Joe. And from the premium gas discussions we've had on BITOG, many here are an Average Joe.

Why do you think GM said they want a new high octane standard gas? GM isin't the only auto maker wanting the petro industry to do away with 87 octane.

The problem is that the auto makers put these engines in vehicles and know they cant sell them to Average Joe saying, oh BTW, your new CRV, Civic.. requires 91 octane or higher.
The auto maker in return puts a crap tune allowing a TGDI engine to survive on 87 octane.

Originally Posted by benjy

Yeah, we accidentally stepped into a long warranty for the engine and CVT on our Impreza, Lifetime on the engine and the 10 years on the CVT. I hope me using 5w20 doesnt upset the juicy apple cart. I got mad and said to myself " 0W in the blistering Summer? BAhhh! "

My VW 1.4tsi seem to be doing good. No engine notices yet. And I think it has a T-belt under oil. Runs fine with 87. Has the Torque of a 2.8L six from 2000-4500 rpm - What else could you want?

Originally Posted by RayCJ

The main failures seem to be misfires which makes me think something is going wrong with the VVT mechanism or timing chain. If I've guessed that properly, then; I wonder if there's a way to detect an out-of-spec condition using diagnostic tools and/or software

The misfires are caused by an incredible excess of fuel in the oil.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
And yet there is no problem in Eu.

That's not so. This engine, the entire world over is experiencing the same thing. High octane fuel, higher viscosity oil and frequent oil changes help. As does operation that allows the oil to reach operating temperature, such as longer trips.

Last edited:
Bad engine blocks that would crack and leak from 2007 to early 2009, and now 2016 to 2018 that get extended warranties because of engine problems. It's like walking through a mine field shopping for an early or late model Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back