Honda Europe oil recommendations.

This is a screenshot from Honda UK. Just proof that 0/20 in the US is sorely for CAFE. If you go back further, they still recommend ACEA A3. But a API SL. Wasn't SL way higher ZDDP levels in comparison to a standard 5/30?
Screenshot_20220816-151716_Chrome.jpg

Wonder how many miles or kilometers they run cars there?
I would imagine the same as the US. Same engine. I have 248k on my k24. My parents had 425k on their 93 Accord with a 2.2L before my dad t-boned a lady that pulled out in front of him. Nothing every wore out. AC blew cold, tranny never out, just regular maintenance.

That was for 2012. But nothing has changed except for direct injection and turbos on 4cyl. I found one for the J37 (V6) used in the Acura MDX, Honda MDX and the Honda Legend. Said the same thing.
Well, most A3/B3(B4) lubes are going to be SL, as they have to be if they are xW-30's. SN was introduced in 2010.

Since this is Europe, it's not surprising the focus is on an ACEA rating rather than API.

Well, most A3/B3(B4) lubes are going to be SL, as they have to be if they are xW-30's. SN was introduced in 2010.

Since this is Europe, it's not surprising the focus is on an ACEA rating rather than API.
Much better quality oil. Here's a pic of the new to me 2015 Acura MDX 3.5L. 118k on the clock. I was surprised how clean it is down the fill hole. I don't have the records, I don't think the previous owners did long OCI. I'm going to continue with 3-5k OCI with the direct injection using Castrol 0/40

Attachments

• 20220816_205757.jpg
    20220816_205757.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 24
A1/B1 was replaced by C5 a few years ago. Both are 20w btw.

IMO availability and affordability are some of the factors which go into recommending certain grades in various markets. 10w/15w-X are cheaper to produce. It doesn't mean that a 20w is inadequate.

I’m going to continue using M1 0w40 in my 2017 accord sport after I use up my stash of Chevron Supreme and RGT 5w30
I would continue to use the 0/40. It's far superior to in comparison to the Chevron oil. The Chevron does not carry the same specs as the 0/40. You have a timing chain, if you want it to last to the 400k where Honda recommends changing, I would continue with the 0/40.

A1/B1 was replaced by C5 a few years ago. Both are 20w btw.

IMO availability and affordability are some of the factors which go into recommending certain grades in various markets. 10w/15w-X are cheaper to produce. It doesn't mean that a 20w is inadequate.
What it boils down to, 0/20 doesn't have a very high HTHS, the hottest area of an engine for sure is under the pistons, I would prefer to have a higher viscosity for film strength to deal with all that heat. Same goes I would prefer to have that heavier viscosity for the timing chain.

What it boils down to, 0/20 doesn't have a very high HTHS, the hottest area of an engine for sure is under the pistons, I would prefer to have a higher viscosity for film strength to deal with all that heat. Same goes I would prefer to have that heavier viscosity for the timing chain.
That's of course fine if that's what you prefer. Consumers buy products for all sorts of subjective reasons.

That's of course fine if that's what you prefer. Consumers buy products for all sorts of subjective reasons.
I have a co worker that had a Acura TSX, don't remember year. He was absolutely horrible about changing oil. I told him run a good extended oil filter like a Wix XP, and M1 0/40. Well he ran just a generic dino 5/30. His timing chain broke at 200k he said. Ran dino oil never really changed, just added when low. He junked the car. Such a waste. These K24 will run 500k easy if maintained.

The European models without turbo should only get 0W20 from 2013, alternatively 0W30 or 5W30 in ACEA A5/B5. The current turbos have the same recommendation. At the beginning of the particle filters, ACEA C2 or C3 oils are prescribed, but also a maximum of 0w30 or 5w30 or 10W30. Honda also releases and recommends the Type 2.0 0W20 engine for all petrol engines since 2003.

Back