Honda CRV Needs struts

Well after 178k and almost 18 years on the original struts, the driver side strut mount bearing is starting to make some noise.

In Rack Auto, I can get KYB and Monroe as a complete strut mount kit, no need to disassemble the strut. I never purchase or install these brands on my cars.

The other option is to buy the individual components and reconstruct the strut. If I where to do this option, I'll probably stick w/ Sachs brand which I am familiar on my older Volvo's.

Any other options!!!

I replaced the struts on our Element (same chassis as your CRV) at about 150K miles. One of the strut bearings was knocking. I ordered preassembled Honda OEM struts. That fixed the strut bearing noise but I was surprised that the new struts/shocks did not change the ride (damping) at all. It rode exactly the same with the new ones as it did with the old ones.

That said, if you do replace the entire assembly with a preassembled unit, go either Honda OEM or KYB. The OEM Honda parts had Honda stickers on them, but the strut and shock bodies had KYB imprinted on them.

Scott

Last edited:
You mean quick struts? The quick strut manufacture guesses at the spring rate and I don't care if it is the best company on earth. The spring thickness is the big culprit here.

14425724420_1.jpg

I replaced the struts on our Element (same chassis as your CRV) at about 150K miles. One of the strut bearings was knocking. I ordered reassembled Honda OEM struts. That fixed the strut bearing noise but I was surprised that the new struts/shocks did not change the ride (damping) at all. It rode exactly the same with the new ones as it did with the old ones.

That said, if you do replace the entire assembly with a preassembled unit, go either Honda OEM or KYB. The OEM Honda parts had Honda stickers on them, but the strut and shock bodies had KYB imprinted on them.

Scott
I did look at the prices at Honda OEM parts and struts where very expensive while other bits seem more reasonable. The car rides fine and can also just replace the bearing since the salt has not been to kind to under body of the car.

I've put 4 or 5 sets of the KYB quick struts from RA on various cars over the years and I've always been happy.
I would buy another set from them without a second thought.

Good luck!

I did look at the prices at Honda OEM parts and struts where very expensive while other bits seem more reasonable. The car rides fine and can also just replace the bearing since the salt has not been to kind to under body of the car.
I got mine via the internet from Bernardi Honda. I don't remember exactly, but the price was RADICALLY less than what my local dealer wanted.

FWIW,

Scott

You mean quick struts? The quick strut manufacture guesses at the spring rate and I don't care if it is the best company on earth. The spring thickness is the big culprit here.

View attachment 83435
I agree with your statement. I would not consider Monroe. That said, I think the KYBs would be okay since they are the OEM supplier.

Scott

KYB quick struts :)

Honda does offer OEM quick struts from the dealer, but they are quite expensive. The set of four is almost $2000

I would worry about the strut bearings. Seems I've seen on other forums, where they fail early. I'd want OEM strut mounts and bearing units.

I never had good luck with kyb mounts on Saturn's. Struts yes, mounts no.

Aftermarket KYB assemblies may not be the same as OEM KYB assemblies. This has been discussed here often. Try to find someone who has actually installed the aftermarket parts on your car model for results. Best of luck to you.

I installed KGB struts on a 1993 Lexus ES300, which is a cushy, dreamy ride.
The KGBs made it a far better driver. It actually handled much flatter.

I installed KGB struts on a 1993 Lexus ES300, which is a cushy, dreamy ride.
The KGBs made it a far better driver. It actually handled much flatter.
In Soviet Russia, Lexus drives you.

But in all seriousness, did you install quick-struts or just the bare strut units and had someone do the spring swap? I find KYB’s aftermarket shocks are a balance between firm and cush.

I would worry about the strut bearings. Seems I've seen on other forums, where they fail early. I'd want OEM strut mounts and bearing units.

Not shocked if all the aftermarket sources the same mounts from China or India. I reused the OE Toyota front mounts on my car, and since the rear mounts are integral to the unibody, I used KYB’s mount kits. They were just a rubber bushing and thick concave washers. Made in India. No weird sounds… yet.

In Soviet Russia, Lexus drives you.

But in all seriousness, did you install quick-struts or just the bare strut units and had someone do the spring swap? I find KYB’s aftermarket shocks are a balance between firm and cush.
Wheel Works (now Firestone) installed the KGB struts in the spring when I needed new rubber. All around. Again, it transformed the car.

Vote here for KYB. I’ve never used cartridge springs though. But, for a crv with 178k, the oem springs are probably tired anyway. Kyb damping characteristics IME would be a good match for the crv.

KYB quick struts :)

Honda does offer OEM quick struts from the dealer, but they are quite expensive. The set of four is almost $2000
Yeah. I need to replace (4) struts on a 2009 Accord and have a (4) wheel alignment done after. I can not do any of this work anymore. I have just gotten 3-4 estimates with the Honda dealership the most expensive, from $1400 - $1600 - $1700 - $2200. I used to do all of thst stuff from cvs shafts and joints to shocks and struts - no alignments but can not even change my own oil anymore. Back is screwed up big time now due to a different freaking weather or cold front here almost every single day / night. That wreaks havock on old injuries and arthritis etc.... I will be shooting some wild turkey shots tonight and in the morning I can tell right now.

True- KYB tech support said mounts made in India were the problem. I found that out several years ago and probably has been resolved by now since KYB was aware of the problem then. You could call them, and they may tell you about your application.
I bought Honda OEM from Majestic after this info.

For an 18 year old car, 2K on struts only is nuts.

I agree $2k for struts is nuts.. Honda's pricing for some stuff in the last year has gone to the insane level..

I'd vote for Sachs. I've tried the quickstruts more like quick to die! They died (riding on bump stops) after only 6 months! I gave up on that junk and assembled Sachs shocks with Moog (yes made in usa, I got lucky) springs. They are the correct spring rate for my 96 Civic. And ride height is correct. The rest of the parts I used were Honda. They're still working well and I installed them in 2015! Not bad..

One other thing people may not know.. Sachs is the oem shock/strut supplier to Honda in Europe. Little bit of info I found when searching for something other than quick strut.. never again.. (n)

I agree $2k for struts is nuts.. Honda's pricing for some stuff in the last year has gone to the insane level..

I'd vote for Sachs. I've tried the quickstruts more like quick to die! They died (riding on bump stops) after only 6 months! I gave up on that junk and assembled Sachs shocks with Moog (yes made in usa, I got lucky) springs. They are the correct spring rate for my 96 Civic. And ride height is correct. The rest of the parts I used were Honda. They're still working well and I installed them in 2015! Not bad..

One other thing people may not know.. Sachs is the oem shock/strut supplier to Honda in Europe. Little bit of info I found when searching for something other than quick strut.. never again.. (n)
That is exactly why I always did as much of my own and my families auto repairs I was capable of doing. Real frustrating when you must pay anyone to do things you know how to do. My car is a 2009 Honda Accord Exl with 146,000 miles and is like new. Only a couple of road dings on the lower body. Never had but one repair when the computer and a wire went out about 2 years back. Lucky I have a close friend with a family owned shop close by who took care of it all for a fair price. He has since closed and retired. I have to fix it. Everything still works. I got one blown leaking strut but I would never change just the one. That is why I spend so much. I always try to do things right. Tires in sets, struts or shocks in sets , balance tires , rotate and on and on mostly predictive, preventive maintenance.

Back