Honda Civic 5w20 or 5w30 mobil1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zr: Please review the information on the mobil site. The reference they make to "except vtec" is actually worded "except Dohc/vtec" Honda, to my understanding does not reccomend xw20 oil in their DOHC motors. Possibly this is why the referece to DOHC vtec.
cheers.gif

regards.

quote:

Originally posted by zrwizard:
Ive got a 2003 civic ex and I've been using 5w20 castrol(non synthetic) for 30,000 miles. Also Ive been buying Honda filters any recommendations?

For what it is worth, I've been using both Mobil 1 0w-20 and Motorcraft 5w-20 in my wife's '03 Odyssey with no issues. I usually buy my oil at Walmart. Lately the Mobil 1 has been hard to find, but I go with Motorcraft whenever I cannot find Mobil 1. For filters, I've been using Purolator PureOne (PL14459). I can usually find them easily and cheap in my area.

Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by slickpeters:
I have an 02 Civic. Both Honda dealers in my area here in florida use 5W30, even so 5W20 is specified. I asked them about it, and they said in the hot temperatures, they would not use 5W20, only 5W30. I have been using M1 5W30 since 5,000 miles. Now have 19,000 miles. I Run it one year (12,000 miles) with a new filter at 6 months. No problems, same mileage, 35mpgs, smooth, quiet, runs beautiful. I used to worry like you guys, but not anymore.

More of this EPA CAFE nonsense! So some Honda dealers are leery of the 5W-20. Cost has nothing to do with it, they pass the "extra" cost of a 5W-20 along to you.

I find it VERY contradictory that Honda, or for that matter Ford, does NOT recommend a xW-20 outside of North America.

Indeed, according to BP Lubricants, the very same Honda motor in Europe should run their premium synthetic Visco 7000 0W-40.

In Europe and Australia, the Honda temp chart includes 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50, and 20W-50 oils. There is no mention at all of ANY xW-20 oils.

You can bet Honda has done extensive testing in hot climates to include viscosity ranges like that. Indeed, for the H22A1 and H22A2 motors, you should NOT use a 5W-30 over 0 C or +32 F.

You would think that, especially in Europe, Honda would recommend a 5W-20 to help save the driver money, as fuel costs are 3X to 4X here in North America.

Since everybody claims 5W-20 or 0W-20 oils offer superior protection at running temps, then folks running WOT on the Autobahn must only be using 5W-20 or 0W-20 oils in their Honda's and Ford's.

Or for that matter folks running expensive BMW's should switch to a 5W-20 to lower their engine wear.

I would also be caught between a rock and a hard place running a Honda or Ford. I wouldn't want to use the xW-20, except maybe in cold winter, but if I used the "wrong" viscosity, so much for my warranty.

I suppose once the warranty is up, I would switch to a heavier viscosity for summer or hard use.

Although UOA gives you one snapshot of what the motor is doing, it doesn't tell you everything. If you have an oil creating sludge, varnish, or carbon, that usually does NOT show up on a UOA.

I do UOA on my fleet and although it's great for establishing trends, its primary goal is to determine when an expensive synthetic HDEO should be changed. Some Cummins owners have performed religious UOA only to uncover wear problems or deposit problems.

Only a complete engine tear-down will reveal how an oil is behaving in the Ring Land, Crown Land, etc

Jerry

Dustyjoe1 your right it does say DOHC/VTEC I read it wrong. Mine is only SOHC/VTEC so I guess Mobil recommends 0W20.

Thanks

This whole debate on 5W-20 vs 5w-30 or xW-x0 is getting more confusing. I always stick with what the factory recommend but how come the same engine in Europe or Aisa see different recommendationas for oil??

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
DO NOT USE Havoline 5w20, it does not like it and runs like SH*T.

good to know, i was gonna put this in a friends car since ive heard very good things about it, but i dont know now..

quote:

bigjason:
This whole debate on 5W-20 vs 5w-30 or xW-x0 is getting more confusing. I always stick with what the factory recommend but how come the same engine in Europe or Aisa see different recommendationas for oil??

1. Lack of CAFE requirements.

2. For reasons that have never been totally clear to me, the Europeans generally recommend higher viscosities.

SXG6: A small qualifying statement. I said that my 2002 honda civic ex did not like havoline 5w20: for that application ONLY. It is a good oil and works wonderfully in my ford pickup. So unless your friends car is a honda civic. Don't hesitate to try it and see if it likes it.

regards.

zr: Please review the information on the mobil site. The reference they make to "except vtec" is actually worded "except Dohc/vtec" Honda, to my understanding does not reccomend xw20 oil in their DOHC motors. Possibly this is why the referece to DOHC vtec.

I have searched the site and found no reference to this. Would you post a link please?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RTexasF:

I have searched the site and found no reference to this. Would you post a link please?
confused.gif

To add my honda .02, the "except DOHC/VTEC" to me means "or". There are DOHC with no VTEC. If Mobil was just worried about the DOHC WITH VTEC, then you don't have to specify the VTEC.

Honestly, it depends on the engine. Not all of the newer motors that say VTEC are necessarily the true VTEC. My motor has VTEC lobes on BOTH the intake and exhaust cams...some just have it on the intake and not exhaust.

In conclusion, if you have a DOHC, you obviously have 2x the cam material which needs to protected. If you have VTEC (at least the true VTEC) you want the protection when you are at 6-8k RPM.
smile.gif

PS Here's my UOA with Schaeffer's 15w-40 here

PPS All of you must be congratulated on referring to VTEC correctly instead of "VTECH"...
cheers.gif

[ August 11, 2004, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: uconn1150 ]

quote:

Originally posted by uconn1150:

quote:

Originally posted by RTexasF:

confused.gif

To add my honda .02, the "except DOHC/VTEC" to me means "or". There are DOHC with no VTEC. If Mobil was just worried about the DOHC WITH VTEC, then you don't have to specify the VTEC.

Honestly, it depends on the engine. Not all of the newer motors that say VTEC are necessarily the true VTEC. My motor has VTEC lobes on BOTH the intake and exhaust cams...some just have it on the intake and not exhaust.

In conclusion, if you have a DOHC, you obviously have 2x the cam material which needs to protected. If you have VTEC (at least the true VTEC) you want the protection when you are at 6-8k RPM.
smile.gif

PS Here's my UOA with Schaeffer's 15w-40 here

PPS All of you must be congratulated on referring to VTEC correctly instead of "VTECH"...
cheers.gif

dam ricers!
pat.gif
patriot.gif
LOL

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
cheers.gif

regards.

As far as I remember, Honda recommends 5W-20 for RSX and 5W-30 for RSX Type-S.
smile.gif

Just surfing over to Honda Japan's website.

2004 Civic
http://www.honda.co.jp/manual/civic/2004/8-service-data/service-data2.html#engine
Japan:
Recommended: 0w20 (full temp range)
Other: 5w30, 5w40, 10w30
US/Canada:
5w20 only

2004 Integra (aka RSX)
http://www.honda.co.jp/manual/integra/2004/contents/8-0-0-servicedata/
Japan:
same as Japanese Civic oil recommendations
US/Canada:
5w20 only

2004 Integra Type R
http://www.honda.co.jp/manual/integra-type-r/2004/contents/8-0-0-servicedata/
Japan:
Recommended: none in particular
Other (full temp range): 5w30, 5w40
Other (full temp range): 0w20 not in table but on graph
Other (-20 oC +): 10w30
US/Canada: (well, no equiv here, but RSX-S is close)
Recommended: 5w30 (full temp range)
Other (above freezing): 10w30

... So, either Japan is also going CAFE or the 20 weights may not be strictly CAFE afterall.
confused.gif

A few of observations. The difference between M1 0w20 (8.6cSt) and 5w30 (10.0) is small enough not to make a whole lot of difference in the short run and probably in the long run. There also seems to be little distinction made between dino, syn-blend and full-syn in these discussions, but I bet it makes more difference than the above. Mazdas, Honda's I-4s and V6s engines always seem to get all thrown into the same basket when UOAs are cited, even though the engine designs are quite different. Someone who's trips are mainly around town, 4mi drives to work in Mineapolis are lumped in with someone who drives into work 30+ miles at 80+ mph in 90+ degrees summer heat.

I suggest you look at the manual as a starting point, and then look at UOAs of an almost identical engine/vehicle combination along with the associated climate and driving style, then apply a little common sense. My experience says that you'll be close to the ideal your after. And if you want to fine tune, do a few UOAs as you experiment.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back