Honda break-in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to forget the Motul 300V 0w20 which come with strong additive pack.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
I know this is going to sound "smart alec," but here goes anyway: report back in another 100k miles, and then I'll be impressed.

Well a former colleague of mine has a 2002 Accord 4-Dr EX V6 with over 100K miles on it. He has done 7500 mile OCIs with dino 5w20 since day one. It runs like new and uses less than 1/4 qt. between OCIs.

quote:

Originally posted by White 03:
I have just had a discussion with the my Honda service department about leaving the orginal oil in until after 5000 miles. Third time I have had this discussion. They are adamant about leaving it in until it is over 5000 miles.

The V6 severe change interval is 3750 and they still insist on 5000. It is hard to figure why they don't want my money.

My question is does anyone know where Honda gets their information on why this is best?

The good/bad news is they rubbed you the wrong way. My Honda Civic VP, owners manual, shop manual, specific model web site, all say 10k OCI's and the owners manual is almost emphatic about leaving in the oem fill for the full interval. (normal, 10k) I would imagine they do this in that they can not control which oils go in NEXT after the factory fill, as each owner is free to do what they will. The oem brew is rich in moly and they probably add some assembly fluids, where it is beneficial to go the full term. I switched to Mobil One 0w20 at 10k and am now at app 17k or 7k on the Mobil One 0w20. neither oem fill or Mobil One has needed any topping. Once pass the warranty period of 3yr/36k miles, I have no qualms about going 15-20k OCI's with Mobil One 0w20 or 5w20. I also anticipate no engine lubrication concerns for at least 250,000 miles. It pays to break it in correctly.

That is what I am thinking and so will probably just let it go until 5000 and quit worrying about it.

I left the oil in my new Ody, but I never quit worrying!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back