HONDA ATF-Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
lakeguy,
Welcome to the club, if I may recommend something, based on maintaining my Acura (with 5 speed AT) and my dad's Acord with 4speed AT is use either Z-1 or AMsoil Universal ATF. Try to change it often since the drain is so simple and it only takes 3 quarts to refil. Both cars run great mine is 2002 with 178,000km or 111,000mi dad's 135,000miles, I change the oil out twice per year which works out to about 10-12,000mi gives me a chance to see the build-up of crud on drain-plug's magnet wiping it off lessens a chance of it dislodging and plugging up internals of the trannies. One last observation the AMSoil seems to leave less crud than Z-1, I also used MaxLife for one drain/refill no ill effects.

Looks like this topic was a good one to discuss. I didnt realize that Honda had problems with their transmissions. I rather know now than later. I will probably use the DW-1(?). After warranty expires, I'll reevaluate the whole thing. I agree, since its only three quarts, and filter, its cheap, and constructive maintenance. Good advice.

This site is great and the people on it are willing to discuss their success and failures. Pretty cool!!!

Never owned a car this new, just want to give it fighting chance. Im looking forward to dropping pan and seeing what the fluid is like. 20,000 miles on it, not sure what dealer had in it. Probably still factory. I'll post on here to let all know what it at least looked like. thanks

Hey Johnny. I see your retired Penzoil. I work for them now. Newell, WV. Just wanted to say hi. Its actually Shell Oil, Lot of cool stuff going on here, you would be proud to see the the Penzoil products going out the door. The Ultra and Platinum, pretty popular........Good old mineral oil, still going strong too.!!!

Wish they would cough up some Nascar tickets, ha ha.

Originally Posted By: lakeguy
Hey Johnny. I see your retired Penzoil. I work for them now. Newell, WV. Just wanted to say hi. Its actually Shell Oil, Lot of cool stuff going on here, you would be proud to see the the Penzoil products going out the door. The Ultra and Platinum, pretty popular........Good old mineral oil, still going strong too.!!!

Wish they would cough up some Nascar tickets, ha ha.

If only Kurt Busch weren't such a jerk it'd make it easier to root for Pennzoil success on the race track! :p

For a while, Z1 was a compromise fluid because it was being used in their CVT tranny's as well. My 99 Odyssey's failed at 80k and I had replaced 3 quarts a year from new. After Honda replace it, I switched to Maxlife and it shifted much better than the z1. I'm glad it's been replaced...

Last edited:
I'm sure Valvoline thoroughly tests their Maxlife ATF in many Honda transmissions before saying its a recommended replacement for Z1. Amsoil, Redline, Castrol, Pennzoil, and Valvoline run their ATFs then perform tear downs of ATs to make sure their ATFs are compatible. They perform real world tests before slapping a recommended replacement label on their bottles.

I've been running aftermarket ATFs for about 10K now and my AT hasn't blown up yet.

I've done two drain and fills on my RSX with the new DW-1 fluid. Shifts seem a bit cleaner and quicker. Previous fluid was fresh Z1. (I drain and fill the trans when I do oil changes, so the Z1 had less than 10k on it)

Anecdotal, slightly. As far as I'm concerned it's a step up though. Z1 never seemed like a very good fluid in the first place though.

DW-1 is what Honda should have used YEARS ago... My only question is it a full syn? I thought Acura told me it is a blend.

Last edited:
Claims full synth on the bottle.

396365516.jpg

But who knows what definition of "Full Synthetic" they are using.

DW-1 Idemitsu MSDS

Last edited:
Monument Oiler,

Is the picture you posted of a 1 Litre bottle? I can'
t read the picture very well. I just bought a case of Honda ATF DW-1 from a dealership & the bottles are grey with green & red labels. These bottles are 1 quart bottles.

BTW, when I asked about a discount, the dealer told me that if I bought a case (12), the price went from $7.97/bottle to $5.98/bottle. Since I needed 9, buying a case was a better deal.

Don't forget a new crush washer!!!

Joe F.

Several posts in this thread, and the fact that Z-1 is being replaced DW-1 has given me the motivation to try Maxlife next drain and refill, at least on the 01 Civic that's always seen Z-1.

I've been able to get Z-1 for ~$6.50 by asking for a price match from local dealer. Not yet sure about my 07 3.0L that has had one Z-1 drain and fill while still under warranty. Warranty ends in at year end. Not fond of the idea paying ~$8/qt. for DW-1. I know some will say that it's just $1.50 more a qt than Z-1. But, since the car came with Z-1 and DW-1 would be a change to synthetic, Maxlife seems a good, less expensive alternative choice, out of warranty. Have some time to chew on that one.

Yesterday (5-29-11), I changed out the trans fluid on my '09 Honda Civic EX, auto, with 20,775 miles on it. The old fluid was darker than I would have expected & had an odor to it.

I decided to do the recomended 3 changes. Drained the fluid & added 3 quarts of the new DW-1, drove about 4 miles & drained two more times with refills. In all, I replaced with 9 quarts of new DW-1. The fluid is a nice red color, now, not with the brownish hue. I installed the new crush washer on the last drain.

Two local dealerships recommended draining at 25,000 to 30,000 mile intervals & it seemed to me they only did one drain & refill of 3 quarts. Personally, I believe this is way too long to wait for a fluid change. I'm 65 & don't hot rod this car, at all. It is a daily driver & I bought it for the fuel mileage & ease of parking & driving. It gets a combination of surface street & freeway miles. To me, 15,000 mile intervals appear to be advisable.

I'm not an expert on trans fluid but, this stuff(Z-1) doesn't seem to last that long. Hopefully, the DW-1 will last longer. I will be checking!!!!!

Joe F.

Originally Posted By: Joseph Fihn
Yesterday (5-29-11), I changed out the trans fluid on my '09 Honda Civic EX, auto, with 20,775 miles on it. The old fluid was darker than I would have expected & had an odor to it.

I decided to do the recomended 3 changes. Drained the fluid & added 3 quarts of the new DW-1, drove about 4 miles & drained two more times with refills. In all, I replaced with 9 quarts of new DW-1. The fluid is a nice red color, now, not with the brownish hue. I installed the new crush washer on the last drain.

Two local dealerships recommended draining at 25,000 to 30,000 mile intervals & it seemed to me they only did one drain & refill of 3 quarts. Personally, I believe this is way too long to wait for a fluid change. I'm 65 & don't hot rod this car, at all. It is a daily driver & I bought it for the fuel mileage & ease of parking & driving. It gets a combination of surface street & freeway miles. To me, 15,000 mile intervals appear to be advisable.

I'm not an expert on trans fluid but, this stuff(Z-1) doesn't seem to last that long. Hopefully, the DW-1 will last longer. I will be checking!!!!!

Joe F.

I think now that you have a full fresh tranny flush with DW-1, you should go with a drain and fill(3 quarts) every 15K miles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back