Honda 15400-PLM-A01 (Filtech/Toyo Roki) cut apart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Honda 15400-PLM-A01 filter, made by Filtech Toyo Roki. This particular filter served for a ~7,500 mile OCI (to 15% on the MM) on a 09 CR-V with the K24 engine. Oil used was Honda 5W-20 Synblend (made by Conoco Philips).

The first thing I noticed when trying to cut apart this filter was how thick the casing was. It's significantly thicker than the A02 filter (which is made by Honeywell/Fram). I often use channel-locks to loosen filters for removal, and the A02 filters often get dented simply from the force of the pliers. I've never had that happen with an A01 filter yet. I used a pair of tin snips to open the filter and it took quite a bit of work.

The other big difference between the A01 and A02 is that the A01 has roughly 40% more filter area. If you look at the pleats, you can see how densely packed together they are. Someone on another forum measured the surface area of the pleats and it came out to be 151 square inches!

For reference, the Honda A02 filter has 106 square inches of filter media, the PureOne PL14610 has 108 square inches of media, and the Mobil 1 M1-110 has just 72 square inches of filter media!

Overall, this filter looks like it's in great shape and could have served for another OCI easily (perhaps this is why Honda came up with their recommendation of changing the filter at every other OCI?). No tears in the filter media, end-caps are still solidly attached, the silicone ADBV is still very soft/pliable, and the bypass spring opens as expected.

I did have to drill a pilot hole in order to use the tin snips, so there may be a few metal shavings that got onto the filter media in the pics.

Here are the pics:
hYmv8aw.jpg

ETFVE0h.jpg

AWGrleT.jpg

VWZpAKC.jpg

LvEO6oF.jpg

CTa9og4.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I have one of these little guys in my R1 atm. Thanks for the C&P!

I get my Honda oil filters from the dealer. What they always give me is their Thailand-made blue 15400-RAF-T01. Anybody know if this is equivalent to the 15400-PLM-A01?

Originally Posted By: berniedd
I get my Honda oil filters from the dealer. What they always give me is their Thailand-made blue 15400-RAF-T01. Anybody know if this is equivalent to the 15400-PLM-A01?

It my be "equivalent" but that does not mean it's the same filter. The 15400-PLM-A01 is made in the US by Filtech Toyo Roki. The A02 is made by Honeywell (Fram) and is an inferior filter even though both are "equivalent". You'll need to find out who the OEM is for the T01 and cut one apart to look at the insides.

I get / just got my Honda A01 ** FILTECH ** From Advanced auto parts.. I went in and we looked on the Computer and on the computer the number is A6000-101791 and online it says NPN but when your in the store it looks totally different on there computer there.. So I said What the heck let me order for $5

I agree the Honda A01s are the best IMO.... or the HAMP Synergy.. but personally
I really like the HONDA OEM / OES FILTECH A01

Also I agree they can go longer then 1 OCI.. There is a post here when a guy put 15000 miles on 1 Honda Filteh A01 and when he cut it open it looked very good.

The next day / TODAY... I went to advanced and it was a HONDA FILTECH A01..
Saves me time and $ now so I dont have to take a chance and buy them online

2r2uiq0.jpg

2ivmsns.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back