Honda 15400-a02 or?

Currently only at 11k miles on my 2022 civic 1.5t, have done 2 oil changes with the factory PLM-A02 filters and M1 0w-20. I plan to stick to 5k intervals using M1 0w-20 EP

However I used the third A02 on my wife’s HRV and now am out of filters. Wondering if I should continue with them at a cost of around $8 a piece, or try something else? I like the idea of an OEM filter and not very phased by the videos trying to scare consumers with cardboard endcaps and other stuff that might not matter, but wonder if from a filtration standpoint, my choice to continue using OEM for my short intervals has a better alternative

and not very phased by the videos trying to scare consumers with cardboard endcaps and other stuff that might not matter, but wonder if from a filtration standpoint, my choice to continue using OEM for my short intervals has a better alternative
Honda sells a million vehicles a year in the US alone using these filters (plus a million+ more globally). While some people have grandiose ideas about their "dream" oil filter and the superior features they'd have, they're not necessary. You can use the Honda filter without worry. You mention "short intervals" and that's not a concern either. Remember, Honda says leave the filter on for (2) oil changes. I know most people don't, but you absolutely could.

No point in using EP but it's your choice. And for $8 a piece I'd just use a fram ultra. And as hall said you can reuse it, and probably do 3x with an ultra in reality but it's your choice.

The A02 is a Fram. The PH7317 is just as good for much less money. The TG7317 is much better for still less money than the dealer. The Ultra XG7317 is even better than the TG and for only slightly more money than the dealer. For the ultimate Fram, there's the new Endurance FE7317.

Also, you should consider using 0w30 or 5w30 instead of 0w20. If you can afford it, fill up with premium. 0/5w30 and premium will help that turbo a lot :)

The A02 is a Fram. The PH7317 is just as good for much less money. The TG7317 is much better for still less money than the dealer. The Ultra XG7317 is even better than the TG and for only slightly more money than the dealer. For the ultimate Fram, there's the new Endurance FE7317.

Also, you should consider using 0w30 or 5w30 instead of 0w20. If you can afford it, fill up with premium. 0/5w30 and premium will help that turbo a lot :)
Saving $2 on a filter and then wasting money on premium fuel in a car tuned for 87, seems kind of odd to me. I’ll stick with the fuel and oil that my manual calls for, and seems like sticking with that OEM filter is just fine as well.

OEM filters work fine. I go back and forth between the Honda filters, Fram TG7317, and the Supertech MP7317 filters for my family's Hondas, depending which one I can get on sale. Lately the TG's and Supertechs have been much cheaper.

Try some Bosch Premium 3323 filters. I use them on our older Honda V6s. Very solid construction, I have cut open several. I have a good stock of the US made ones from Rockauto for $4. They may be made in Mexico now that Mann bought Puralator.

The Fram XG ones seem good too, I have used/cut open one.

I actually run that 3323 Bosch in my Turbo MX5 and after 15k miles on the engine (including several track days) the oil analyses have never come back with anything interesting. Then again, it gets drained and changed like every 2k miles, but it does work a bit harder than usual

Last edited:
I’ve picked up some of the Full ones from NAPA (imported by Altrom), if you buy 3 & use the 20% off code they’re around $5 each. Good looking filters, much thicker & heavier than a Fram.

Back