homeowners insurance just doubled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still reeling for the shock,
my homeowners insurance went from 500 to 900 ish.
what the..., I called Ameriprise (through Costco) and they said it is not me but state wide rate adjustment.

I have to keep convincing my insurer my house is in below-average condition.

They have a computer algorithm that says, X square feet equals X dollars to rebuild.

My shabbiness won't "lock in".

Don't let 'em get away with it. Up your deductible. Shop around.

Sadly, my 1/2 pit bull (half stupid) and two wood stoves limit my options.

Shop around. State Farm doubled my up a few years ago. $1300 to $2400. Found it cheaper than I was originally paying with SF.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
I am still reeling for the shock,
my homeowners insurance went from 500 to 900 ish.
what the..., I called Ameriprise (through Costco) and they said it is not me but state wide rate adjustment.

Start shopping. I re-adjusted the value of my home with State Farm based on actual reconstruction costs and dropped my premium about 40%. I also went to a $2500 deductible since I only insure for catastrophe. Remember: Your land is a big part of the value of your home and it won't burn down or blow away in a tornado or hurricane. BTW, I did the same with my property taxes and got them reduced $2000/year. These people who supposedly "work" for us are slowly bleeding us financially.
mad.gif

Two comments. One, time to shop. It happens - we're on our third homeowners insurance company in the past 6 years due to those types of games. Second, I don't know what you were insuring, but $500 a year would be a bargain around here. Presently at $1600 a year... (and that is a competitive rate...)

For me its the lack of a fire hydrant. Its the country and everyone has a well. But there are many ponds.

I am thinking of getting an alarm system (fire) basically for the insurance discount.

My small pack (3) of Mastiffs handles the burglary issues.

I am around $2500.

Oh BTW your basement or driveway won't blow away either, or the foundation or the basement floor or the drain tile in the foundation. All of these things are part of reconstructing a home.

If an F4 tornado hit your home and leveled it they would not dig out the foundation and all of the sewers and replace them.

But in the reconstruction valuation they include your lot and all of the below grade items that are about 40% of your home value.

With my insurer if I "play along" with their valuation they'll pay up to 130% of reconstruction costs.

Also apparently the bulldozers and dumpsters to haul off the old stuff are hugely expensive. As are all the new building codes that would have to be met. (AFAIK, a couple extra 20 amp kitchen circuits and some smoke/ CO detectors, kid proof outlets, arc breakers, $1000 maybe.)

It's a racket. My area's economically depressed so I'd take the check and move across town, but I can't tell them that, or I'd get marked as a potential pyro in my file.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Hmmm, did you have a claim?

with them for nearly 10 years in Michigan, many more before in MO.
NEVER had a claim,

My deductible is $1000, maybe I will go to $2500 or even $3000, insurance is for catastrophic events in my mind.

If I shop around will it hurt my credit?

Iv been fighting mine for awhile we pay about $125 a month for the past 30 years. About 6 months ago they cut our coverage by nearly half. Which is a joke, we have only filed once and that was 6-7 years ago after hurricane Katrina. We had a few oaks fall down and took out part of the fence. They treated us well but beyond that we have filed nothing.

Last edited:
Man I wished my insurance was ONLY $900 a year. I live directly on the water in south Florida, hurricane central. We pay SUBSTANTIALLY more than that.

Wow, I didn't like it when mine went from 316. to 360. last year.
That was a 13.9% increase.
I have State Farm and shop around every 3 years.
Assessed at around 155,000. 1,000 Deductable
Edit: I'm not complaining.

Don't get me started on Auto Insurance.

Last edited:
To the OP;
Mine went up to 900.00 a few years ago. I got it back down to about 500 by selecting a 2500 deductible. It has crept back up to about 550 now. This is a 1400 sq.ft. all brick ranch with detached garage in Michigan. Our company is Teachers Insurance and you have to be a school employee, which my wife is.

Having the same company for auto and home often results in a discount. I'd try AMICA for a quote. Good company. Good service.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
To the OP;
Mine went up to 900.00 a few years ago. I got it back down to about 500 by selecting a 2500 deductible. It has crept back up to about 550 now. This is a 1400 sq.ft. all brick ranch with detached garage in Michigan. Our company is Teachers Insurance and you have to be a school employee, which my wife is.

Same type of single fam home here, 50s brick ranch, 2000 sq ft.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Having the same company for auto and home often results in a discount. I'd try AMICA for a quote. Good company. Good service.

Yes Sir, amex through Costco for auto & home. without my discount it would have been $1400

I've heard great things about Amica. After seeing a glowing J.D. Power insurance rating that tied them with USAA, I decided to call them for a quote. When they asked me IF I owned firearms, I reluctantly said "yes". When they asked me how MANY firearms, what calibre they are, etc., I owned I said "I think we're done. I have NO intention of telling you how many firearms I own. ALL of my firearms were legally purchased, have serial numbers, etc., etc., etc." I further told them to tell their "management" that I was thinking on moving ALL of my insurance (home, autos, etc., etc.) to them...but not when you start asking questions that are NONE of your business.

Consequently, I moved all of our insurance from Farmers to USAA instead, and I've saved probably 40%!!!

smile.gif

Ed

Originally Posted By: stockrex

Yes Sir, amex through Costco for auto & home. without my discount it would have been $1400

What the flip, I just rechecked and my deductible is already at $2500.
*&^%$%^&^&**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back