Homemade lube/protective Black Powder shooters

Like the title says what is your homebrew. I looking more for what you actually use on the gun, not the bullet lube. Thanks

Probably, when these guns were being used regularly, any old axle grease would do fine. I've always been taught that a good scrubbing with hot water and soap, dry thoroughly, use oil and grease where needed, paying particular attention to the chamber and nipple.

I just used red grease and sometimes a mixture of STP & oil for springs and pivots

I still clean with water and dawn dish soap, then dry with rags and patches then run a few patches of WD40 and spray the nook and crannies with WD40 or Ballistol to make sure all the water is out. After that I use plain old gun oil and silicon cloths to wipe everything down. I do use several patches to wipe the bore out before I load it next time just to be sure the BP does not stick to the sides an there is no puddle of oil sitting in the bottom of the barrel.

I am a warm, not hot, water with dawn as the first go around then a good water rinse follow up with a good drying. All threads get a light grease and internals get Ballistol. Bore is either Ballistol or TC bore butter. External same as the bore..

I do have a cannon and it is done a lot different due to size and made out of bronze with a steel liner. It starts off with a scrub of water and dawn . The bore is flushed with a hose then follow with a bore mop and flushing water till clean. Then the outside is hand rubbed with a paste made from fire place ash and water. Rinse off good and polished with blue magic. Meguiar's paste wax is the last step then tube back on carriage.

I am tempted to paste wax a musket to see how it holds up on protection of the metal.

Back