Home lighting: Incandescent, CCFL, LED, Halogen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanting to know what my fellow BITOGers prefer in their home. For me, I have about half CCFL and half incandescent. For the rooms/areas that are infrequently visited, or in areas where CCFLs wouldn't have time to reach full brightness, I use incandescents. For areas that usually stay lit for some time, I use CCFLs, since waiting for full brightness isn't an issue. As for halogens, I normally see those used in areas that make use of 'spot' lighting more so, and I don't have any fixtures set up that way for the time being.

I've been wanting to switch over to LEDs, at least in a few rooms, but the cost is still too high, and the lumen output not yet comparable from what I've seen. Hopefully soon the pricing will get better. I also don't have any dimmed lights, so I don't have to worry about dimmable LEDs/CCFLs.

I switched to CFL's 3-4 years ago. Halogens are way too wasteful in power consumption, especially since electricity prices seem to have gone up quite a bit over the years.

I got some "Instant full brightness" CFL's from WM or Lowe's, they are very good. They are especially good in utility closets and the bathroom. From what I rember, they were marginally more expensive. As far as LED's go, im a huge fan of the power usage, but I agree completely. Price and lumen output is still not impressive.

We have switched over to LED lighting in most of the house, the rest being CFL's. I have found LED lights that are comparable to CFL at Canadian tire, but they are expensive.

I use the CCfl ..daylight 100w light output..in the ceiling fan fixtures..kitchen/laundry/garage get T8 flourecent tubes in daylight...all the recessed cans get par38 warm white 1300 lumen.(those were very pricey; did it 2 at a time per paycheck,needed 18)..I still use small halogen for bedside lamps;outdoor spots i still use halogen

I imagine a CFL rant will be showing up shortly. The problem is with a whole lot of junk ones poisoning the concept of using them. I have several that have been working for years and a few that don't last at all. I have no incandescents, not even my refrigerator which is an LED.

LED all the way. Just redid recessed canister lighting throughout the house and it dropped my electrical bill by about 25%

Originally Posted By: KWG88ss
LED all the way. Just redid recessed canister lighting throughout the house and it dropped my electrical bill by about 25%

Can you share your experience some more, who is the mfg, pros (obvious), cons? What kind of $$ (if that is TMI, I understand)

like you: CFL's in common areas. incandescant in infrequent. I have one LED and am about to start using LED PAR's in 18 cans

I use CFLs and put a "100 watt replacement" where a 60 incandescent used to be. If they're a little dim on startup, no biggie.

The color rendition index of new ones are better than those of a few years ago. My electric utility subsides them, 6 for a dollar sometimes.

I use some cfls. However we have several lights with dimmer switches and we found that cfls do not dim properly. Solution?

Originally Posted By: Russell
I use some cfls. However we have several lights with dimmer switches and we found that cfls do not dim properly. Solution?

I've seen dimmable cfls around. Expensive, though, about $15.

We replaced our can lights in our kitchen with Cree CR6's and they are fantastic. Good color temp, bright right away, 10 watts (vs 55 for incandescent) and just as bright as the old ones.

Anything new I'd go all LED but I have yet to find a good screw in replacement for existing lighting. Good to me would be about 10 bucks each, dimmable, good color temp.

I liked Sylvania CFLs for awhile--3000k color temp, and they sent me 2 replacements for one that stopped working prematurely. I just replaced a 23W Sylvania with a 27W Earthmate from Lowe's, trying to brighten the room more. Satisfied with that one so far.

Can anybody suggest a CFL that won't burn out and do a caustic smoke show in a bathroom or an enclosed fixture? That happened to me 3 times in a year with 2 different brands, so I have gone back to incandescents in everything but table lamps.

I'm trying not to rant here, as I do like the energy savings and lower heat of CFLs. I'm waiting for LEDs to get brighter and less expensive, but I wonder if they'll be suitable for damp/enclosed locations.

Quote:
The color rendition index of new ones are better than those of a few years ago. My electric utility subsides them, 6 for a dollar sometimes.

I am slowly changing over to LED bulbs, especially the 100W equivalent flood lights. The LED lamps are giving us better color choices and greater longevity in my opinion.

For decorative incandescents, I use the FEIT bulbs with a color temp of about 2000 K to 2200 Kelvin. They have the old fashioned multi-coil filaments and produce a nice yellow light.

I tried the CFL's for awhile but I found their operational lives are much shorter than their promised lives. The other item I don't like about CFL's is that most have to be operated in the base-down position. If operated base up, their circuitry will disclolor their sockects due to high temps. I found out that a CFL 150 Watt equivalnet produces more heat at the base than a clear 150 Watt incandescent.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

I am slowly changing over to LED bulbs, especially the 100W equivalent flood lights. The LED lamps are giving us better color choices and greater longevity in my opinion.

For decorative incandescents, I use the FEIT bulbs with a color temp of about 2000 K to 2200 Kelvin. They have the old fashioned multi-coil filaments and produce a nice yellow light.

I tried the CFL's for awhile but I found their operational lives are much shorter than their promised lives. The other item I don't like about CFL's is that most have to be operated in the base-down position. If operated base up, their circuitry will disclolor their sockects due to high temps. I found out that a CFL 150 Watt equivalnet produces more heat at the base than a clear 150 Watt incandescent.

Molakule,
You hit the nail on the head, that time. I too, have changed over all my outdoor flood lights (screw in type) to LED. In particular, the hard to reach eves of my house locations are a pain to change (even with a tall ladder).

I am using LED PAR 38 bulbs that are 24 watt (120 watt equivalent), that are 4000K. This not the soft light type, but the white daylight type (interrogation room type) of lighting. My backyard is now lit up like a MLB ballpark. They turn themselves on & off by way of a photocell. With a rating of 50,000 hours, I figure that I should not have to climb that ladder to change them for another 13 years. Bought them for about $50 / bulb - but worth it.

I generally prefer to use CFLs, but most of the lights in my house are incandescent. The main reason being my roommate has a stockpile of cheap incandescent bulbs. Needless to say, they burn out frequently and it's all around wasteful, but if you have a stockpile you may as well use it.

We run almost entirely CFLs currently, even installed a pair in a motion sensor light outdoors. There is very broad quality. These latest GE ones seem really good but time will tell.

I don't have need for floods inside, nor do I have many base-up applications, but most are near horizontal, with the base higher. Have seen the discoloration effect, but have also had very good luck life wise

I'd really love some more recommendations on LEDs for apps where standard base incandescents were originally intended. Most led options seem to be wimpier output wise and a lot more money for a very marginal efficiency improvement over CFL.

We did put in an led fixture recently and are hoping for long life. My biggest issue with it is that nothing is serviceable. Sure is compact though.

So, good LEDs that could actually be used in place of a 100w incandescent????

my friend uses ONLY L.E.D.s. cause his ONLY power is wind and solar. with a large battery bank. he lives in a small camper. but no air conditioning

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
Can anybody suggest a CFL that won't burn out and do a caustic smoke show in a bathroom or an enclosed fixture? That happened to me 3 times in a year with 2 different brands, so I have gone back to incandescents in everything but table lamps.

I have gone back to incandescents as well. I have had two CFLs burn out (literally); one that started smoking in the lamp it was installed in, and one where the ballast got so hot it melted the fixture socket and melted the plastic around the ballast. I've also had many CFLs that were DOA, so I've quit using them. I'd enjoy the cost and temperature savings, but it's not worth ruining a fixture (or burning the house down).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back