Home Depot selling power tools that won't work unless they're activated at a register

A lot of big national retailers (CVS, Walgreens, Target, Walmart) have shifted policies where they won't detain anyone. They had policies that allowed it. Heck - I've even see it maybe 15 years ago. But now they're more worried about people (employees, customers, and even the thieves) getting hurt and suing. They'll leave it to the police that have their own liability and possibly qualified immunity. Employees have been fired for trying to stop shoplifters. I hear Walmart might a little bit different in that only the "loss prevention" employees can do any of the, and they might be contractors where the contracting company has its own liability.

Home Depot apparently doesn't have a national policy to not intervene but I'm not sure if managers might set their own policies.

This is simply giving the green light to expand this type of criminal behavior. The thieves know the stores are afraid. And they are playing on that fear.... And it's working. Then you have total lunacy with states like California, that are all but refusing to prosecute any theft under $950.00. That's what started the organized, "smash & grab" hits all over that state.

This is simply giving the green light to expand this type of criminal behavior. The thieves know the stores are afraid. And they are playing on that fear.... And it's working. Then you have total lunacy with states like California, that are all but refusing to prosecute any theft under $950.00. That's what started the organized, "smash & grab" hits all over that state.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that they're not prosecuting misdemeanor shoplifting in California. In addition to that, the misdemeanor theft laws in other states has a higher threshold that California, like Texas where it's $1500 or Nevada where it's $1200.

I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that they're not prosecuting misdemeanor shoplifting in California. In addition to that, the misdemeanor theft laws in other states has a higher threshold that California, like Texas where it's $1500 or Nevada where it's $1200.
In addition to what? They're not. The difference is, in the states like Texas they actually prosecute shoplifters. That in itself is a deterrent. In San Francisco the property crime rate is so out of control, police are telling people not to bother calling them if their vehicle has been broken into, because they don't have the manpower to respond.

The insanity continues.

Last edited:
In addition to what? They're not. The difference is, in the states like Texas they actually prosecute shoplifters. That in itself is a deterrent. In San Francisco the property crime rate is so out of control, police are telling people not to bother calling them if their vehicle has been broken into, because they don't have the manpower to respond.

The insanity continues.

The Hoover Institution as a source is not exactly nonpartisan. But in my area the DA is prosecuting misdemeanor shoplifting and the law has little to do with it. In addition, there is a newer law that gives prosecutors a chance to choose whether or not some are charged as a misdemeanor or felony. I've been in a store where the police were called and shoplifters were confronted by the police. I get that it's easy to bag on California as the land of fruits and nuts, but there's a ton of sky is falling sensationalist nuttiness to all this reporting.

It's got to be simple and easy enough to do without making it so easy that it can be defeated that easily. Still - you'd be amazed how cheap it is these days to do that level of communication. We have NFC credit cards and even disposable transit tickets that have security that would take the NSA to crack.

I'm not doubting that the level on encryption is very complex, I am doubting that they could actually make the tool impossible to use that a simple bypass of the technology couldn't defeat. There isn't enough complexity in most of today's tools to disable them...what I mean is that they are adding complexity and cost JUST for security, not piggybacking security into a complex system that requires micro controllers to function.

Now, the newer battery operated tools may be a different story, as battery management is most likely processor controlled, and could be more difficult to bypass.

I'm not doubting that the level on encryption is very complex, I am doubting that they could actually make the tool impossible to use that a simple bypass of the technology couldn't defeat. There isn't enough complexity in most of today's tools to disable them...what I mean is that they are adding complexity and cost JUST for security, not piggybacking security into a complex system that requires micro controllers to function.

Now, the newer battery operated tools may be a different story, as battery management is most likely processor controlled, and could be more difficult to bypass.

It could be done, but then again why. Maybe something like a motor that's encased with the security system. But then again someone intent on getting it to work might just replace the motor. I would have to be a full system like what Apple has these days, where the battery and front display talk to the processor and nag the user when there's an aftermarket part installed.

I still think keeping it in the cage is probably the better solution. Heck - I've been to some stores where Hot Wheels are in locked cases.

The Hoover Institution as a source is not exactly nonpartisan. But in my area the DA is prosecuting misdemeanor shoplifting and the law has little to do with it. In addition, there is a newer law that gives prosecutors a chance to choose whether or not some are charged as a misdemeanor or felony. I've been in a store where the police were called and shoplifters were confronted by the police. I get that it's easy to bag on California as the land of fruits and nuts, but there's a ton of sky is falling sensationalist nuttiness to all this reporting.
The sky has been falling for years there as far as law and order. California has always displayed a lax attitude for any type of tough law enforcement. Just look at the place. Homeless are everywhere, crapping on the streets. Drug use is condoned throughout the state. Crime is off the chart. And law enforcement is encouraged to turn a blind eye. Hell, even Charles Manson died of old age. No, I'm afraid the reality of California's progressive thinking toward law enforcement has indeed bit them big time.

The sky has been falling for years there as far as law and order. California has always displayed a lax attitude for any type of tough law enforcement. Just look at the place. Homeless are everywhere, crapping on the streets. Drug use is condoned throughout the state. Crime is off the chart. And law enforcement is encouraged to turn a blind eye. Hell, even Charles Manson died of old age. No, I'm afraid the reality of California's progressive thinking toward law enforcement has indeed bit them big time.

I live in California. I don't get this caricature that I see in the media.

I doubt it would be that easy. Maybe not like Apple bricking its demo devices, but at least harder than just plugging in a JTAG interface and trying to guess exactly how it works. I'd think it would be more like a carrier locked phone where a serial number is matched to an unlock code. Only the retailer's equipment should be able to access the database to find the unlock code.

The owner also has the ability to brick their device if they lose it or it gets stolen. Another plus for this kind of technology is that if you do lose your iPhone you can track it on another Apple device. So if you accidentally left it in the coffee shop you can go directly back and retrieve it rather than backtracking through your entire day.

The owner also has the ability to brick their device if they lose it or it gets stolen. Another plus for this kind of technology is that if you do lose your iPhone you can track it on another Apple device. So if you accidentally left it in the coffee shop you can go directly back and retrieve it rather than backtracking through your entire day.

Quite familiar with all that. I've used that to track down devices in the house or even to figure if I left it somewhere.

I did that once with an iPad that my kid was using. Was playing with it rather than doing homework, so I did a remote erase. I had its data mostly backed up to a computer so I was able to more or less recover. Heard the scream across the house.

Google tried to copy activation lock with Android - it’s called Factory Erase Protection. However, it can be bypassed, if not difficult to do so - easier if it’s rooted or the boot loader is unlocked(on a Samsung, kiss your warranty and Knox goodbye) All you need is a computer, ADB, drivers for that respective phone and the firmware flashing tools to load a new ROM. And an .apk to bypass FRP.

Singapore, Russia and Nigeria have been destinations for stolen iPhones. You can bypass Activation Lock on iOS but it involves illegal means(new IMEI) and some hacking. Hence why it’s done overseas. Of course, if the iOS device is on a MDM platform, there’s a way to disable activation lock - it’ll get wiped regardless.

I live in California. I don't get this caricature that I see in the media.
Sometimes you have to look harder to see stuff you don't want to see. They're not making it up.

Sometimes you have to look harder to see stuff you don't want to see. They're not making it up.

I live in the East Bay. I go to Oakland regularly and I don't live in fear. The homelessness is depressing, but doesn't really affect me that much. And most of the violent crime in Oakland is gang related, the same as in most big cities.

I live in the East Bay. I go to Oakland regularly and I don't live in fear. The homelessness is depressing, but doesn't really affect me that much. And most of the violent crime in Oakland is gang related, the same as in most big cities.
I'm not saying you should, or need to live in fear. But at least be aware of what's happening around you, and don't live in denial.

I could see change coming when I was living in Glendale, AZ. I was there 22 years. And it was getting bad. Crime, graffiti, 3 of the 4 gas stations near me all had fatal shootings. None of that was happening when we moved there. It's the main reason we sold and got out. I'm glad we did.

And that whole "defund the police" thing that California is into, is completely asinine.

I'm not saying you should, or need to live in fear. But at least be aware of what's happening around you, and don't live in denial.

I could see change coming when I was living in Glendale, AZ. I was there 22 years. And it was getting bad. Crime, graffiti, 3 of the 4 gas stations near me all had fatal shootings. None of that was happening when we moved there. It's the main reason we sold and got out. I'm glad we did.

I'm not blind to all this. However, the violence almost never affects me. It's almost always gang on gang. However, I do live in a very quiet suburb where the police show up in 10 minutes when there's a call, so maybe I'm shielded from all that. Even then, there are $2 million homes in Oakland, so obviously someone considers that part of Oakland to be a desirable place to live.

But singling out California does nothing to address the subject. This problem at Home Depot and other stores is not a problem with California but a national problem with theft. It's organized interstate and international shoplifting rings, people selling stuff on street corners, and people willing to buy this stuff on eBay, Craigslist, or even Amazon without questioning where it came from and why it's so cheap. I know like with drugs it's easy to blame the dealers but harder to blame the users.

But now they're more worried about people (employees, customers, and even the thieves) getting hurt and suing. They'll leave it to the police that have their own liability and possibly qualified immunity. Employees have been fired for trying to stop shoplifters.
A few months ago, a cashier/clerk at a nearby (store name doesn't actually matter) tried to stop a shoplifter. Grabbed the person and steering wheel of the thief's car as they were driving away. She hung on for a few seconds then fell and got roughed up by the ground... Story got all sorts of local media attention, hype on social media, customers praising her because apparently she was really friendly and many customers knew her and really like her. The company fired her. No hesitation.

A few months ago, a cashier/clerk at a nearby (store name doesn't actually matter) tried to stop a shoplifter. Grabbed the person and steering wheel of the thief's car as they were driving away. She hung on for a few seconds then fell and got roughed up by the ground... Story got all sorts of local media attention, hype on social media, customers praising her because apparently she was really friendly and many customers knew her and really like her. The company fired her. No hesitation.

Years ago I was in a store when an employee confronted a shoplifter, the shoplifter ran, and the employee managed to rip off the backpack that the shoplifter was apparently stuffing merchandise into. He seemed proud of doing that. But these days I'm sure the manager would have fired him on the spot.

....I do surrender my receipt at COSCO and SAMS Club, why you might ask? Because those are "clubs" with paid membership...........

Call me crazy, but I'm not getting it? By your own admission you agree to the terms of showing your receipt at Costco and Sams Club. So you obviously don't have a problem having your freedoms "infringed" there.... But you're willing to raise hell anywhere else they ask you to do the same. How dare they!

What's the difference? How come you didn't scream about your freedoms being infringed, and tell Costco to ram it, when you filled out the application there? Obviously it's because you wanted to join. So you were basically bought, to march to the beat of their drum by the choice you willingly made....

But when asked to do the same at Home Depot, or anywhere else, all of a sudden you turn into this magnificent freedom fighter. All are private businesses with the same goal. They check receipts in order to help avoid stolen merchandise from exiting the store. It makes absolutely zero sense that you would agree with one, and fight the other. At least based on principal alone........ Unless of course those principals can be surrendered, for the price of a $60.00 membership card.

Last edited:
Back