Home Depot no longer recycling CFL bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Nice failure to provide an answer.
Mercury doesn't "form", at least not by the action of a river eroding soft rock.
It's an element. Try looking at something called the Periodic Table.
You could Google it.
Mercury along with every other element beyond hydrogen and lithium was formed in the fusion reactor that is a star and to get to an element as heavy as mercury the stars that did so would have had to be a very massive ones.
My post was a test for you and you failed it, so I'll give you a little tutoring.
Mercury, like all of the heavier elements would have settled toward the center of our world when it was still a molten ball.
Volcanism would have brought at least some mercury closer to the surface as it did with even heavier elements like uranium. Volcanism would have also spewed some mercury vapor into the atmosphere long before there were any macrofauna to be injured by it. There were plants, though, and the plants that ultimately became coal seams absorbed some of this atmospheric mercury, so mercury is found in coal.
Coal is a hydrocarbon, so it required living things (plants) that could use solar energy or consume plants that did to form.

Dude, you're hilarious. You greenies have gone off the rails. Musta been the election. Dude in the other thread is now talking about how incandescent don't give off very much heat at all.

My post. Please refute it. No idea what your post was about.
Quote:
Mercury formed. Then mercury somehow made it into coal seam. River cut through coal seam. Mercury now somewhere else. Mercury could end up in another coal seam or anywhere else. Clearly a cycle. Any other questions?

Last edited:
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I'm sure the latest and greatest LED 'bulbs' also contain mercury. I've never considered taking my spent CFLs or tubes for "proper" disposal. I just don't use enough of them. Businesses on the other hand with 1000s of tubes is another story. The reason why they'll contract out lamp replacement.

I use to change out the florescents in factories. We would buy them by the box load. I believe that places selling large quantities of florescents also have to provide a disposal service for them. They use to give us boxes and take away the old ones. Probably all included in the cost of doing business.

Your local recycle center, other hardware stores that take them, work place (who has to recycle tube on a regular basis anyways), in that order.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but I'm sure the latest and greatest LED 'bulbs' also contain mercury. I've never considered taking my spent CFLs or tubes for "proper" disposal. I just don't use enough of them. Businesses on the other hand with 1000s of tubes is another story. The reason why they'll contract out lamp replacement.

I don't think mercury is an ingredient that can be doped into semiconductors (which LED is), based on where it is on the periodic table. It probably still contains some other trace amount of toxins, but not mercury.

Mercury is created in a star.

Mercury is dispersed via supernova.

Mercury is part of a planet that forms.

Inhabitants of planet remove it from the ground and spread it around the atmosphere. It is eventually deposited on the surface of the planet where some of it bioaccumulates in species that the aforementioned inhabitants consume.

It's the circle of life, you dang greenies.

- Carl Sagan

I was in the local Home Depot today and the recycle bin for CFLs was still there.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Mercury doesn't "form", at least not by the action of a river eroding soft rock.
You could Google it.
Mercury along with every other element beyond hydrogen and lithium was formed in the fusion reactor that is a star and to get to an element as heavy as mercury the stars that did so would have had to be a very massive ones.
My post was a test for you and you failed it, so I'll give you a little tutoring.
Mercury, like all of the heavier elements would have settled toward the center of our world when it was still a molten ball.
Volcanism would have brought at least some mercury closer to the surface as it did with even heavier elements like uranium. Volcanism would have also spewed some mercury vapor into the atmosphere long before there were any macrofauna to be injured by it. There were plants, though, and the plants that ultimately became coal seams absorbed some of this atmospheric mercury, so mercury is found in coal.
Coal is a hydrocarbon, so it required living things (plants) that could use solar energy or consume plants that did to form.

Dude, you're hilarious. You greenies have gone off the rails. Musta been the election. Dude in the other thread is now talking about how incandescent don't give off very much heat at all.

Quote:
Mercury formed. Then mercury somehow made it into coal seam. River cut through coal seam. Mercury now somewhere else. Mercury could end up in another coal seam or anywhere else. Clearly a cycle. Any other questions?

He explained where the mercury in coal originally came from. It's not "greenie talk" but a proper answer to the question you answered with gibberish.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Originally Posted By: hatt
You could Google it.

Quote:

He explained where the mercury in coal originally came from. It's not "greenie talk" but a proper answer to the question you answered with gibberish.
No one needed him to explain it. He's the one challenging basic common knowledge that mercury continually moves through the environment. Being in a coal seam or in your can of tuna is a temporary situation.

Hatt, your statement "Mercury formed" is hollow and explains nothing.

Fdcg27 gave an excellent explanation that agrees with what I know.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Hatt, your statement "Mercury formed" is hollow and explains nothing.

Fdcg27 gave an excellent explanation that agrees with what I know.

How mercury formed had nothing to do with the point I was making in that post so there was no need for me to explain it. It didn't form in the coal seam. It existed. It made it into the coal seam. It made it out of the coal seam and onto other things. A cycle. If you guys didn't know where mercury formed then he gave you a good lesson I guess. His post really just reinforces my cycle argument. The mercury will ultimately make it back into a star.

Last edited:
Umm, no the mercury won't make it back into a star. Maybe a black hole, but not a star.
The popular explanation is that stars form from the top down while planets form from the top up. IOW, stars form from an accumulation of hydrogen gas that ultimately collapses under the massive gravity created by its mass while planets form from the gradual accretion of mass in the orbits they'll inhabit. Large gas planets like Jupiter might be thought of as failed stars. Stars continue to collapse until the hydrogen fusion reaction begins, which is known as the main sequence life of the star. The outflow of radiation across the electromagnetic spectrum balances the gravitation of the star's mass.
Once the hydrogen main sequence ends, there will be further contraction due to the effect of gravity and a helium sequence will begin. The star will continue to go through stages of contraction and new fusion reactions. Only a very massive star could continue these sequences to the point that elements like mercury, lead or uranium are formed.
These very massive stars have lives measured in the hundreds of millions of years rather than the billions of a star the mass of our sun. These very massive stars never stop collapsing and ultimately become novas. From the explosion of such stars come all of the useful elements from which habitable planets are formed.
I know that you'll try to pretend that you already knew all of this and I know that you'll keep pluggin' away until you get this thread locked just like you did the other CFL one.

The early NASA space program sent mercury into space in capsules that orbited the earth.
How about all the mercury automobiles that were made?
The guy with the winged feet delivering flowers, is he a hazard?
All the old thermometers in landfills, oh my, the horror, the horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back