Home defense shotguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
My Remington 870 HAS jammed, many times.

Is that a Wingmaster or an Express? Because my Wingmasters are all silky smooth but my Express's took quite a bit of shooting to get to a point I could live with.

It's an older Express with a metal trigger guard. It's smooth, but there are still shells that won't eject right. It's actually a common problem with these shells.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
That's why I like #4 buckshot. There's nothing like twenty-seven .270 diameter lead shot going down range.

FWIW, 3" magnum shells have forty-one, .270 diameter shot.

Can you say "buzz saw"?

I have some 15 pellet 00 buck 3" magnum shells. I fired one round through my 930 and I didn't even want to shoot it again. I did anyway, and that gun ejected those shells literally about 30 feet.

I keep a 12ga. Maverick stashed under the bed full of buck shot. There's also a 1911 on the nightstand, but that's another story. Anybody that wants to come in this house has another thing coming. One thing I like about it is the amount of noise it makes when racking one in. I doubt I'd have to do more than that with an intruder. When you hear that Cla-CLACK! you know it's time to go. I've never had any trouble with that gun, but I have had some difficulty ejecting certain shells from my 870 Wingmaster. I'd rather hunt with the wingmaster, but the composite stocks and loud, reliable action make the maverick my gun of choice for under the bed storage and defense.

Anybody give me some ideas on prices of Mossberg, Benelli, and Remington in pump, tactical/police versions?

I just bought, this month, a Mossberg 500a, 8 shot, 3" magnum, 20" barrel with synthetic stocks and extra pistol grip. I paid $275 and tax. Gun is very similar to military issue. Barrel may be a bit thinner and has a synthetic trigger frame, versus metal on the military version. Military version had to meet 3000 round test.

This is one ugly black gun and I can't conceive shooting a magnum shell with the pistol grip installed. I shot 16 rounds, day after I bought it, half heavy target #8 birdshot and other half #4 and #00 buck. My shoulder hurt for hours.

Maverick is cheaper version of the Mossberg design, from what I read. Same company.

I really like the Mossberg 590A1. It's the military version and well built. It also has a nine shot capacity.
Anybody know what that model would cost??

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I really like the Mossberg 590A1. It's the military version and well built. It also has a nine shot capacity.

Around $400 is the normal price. I've seen them lower but not in today's market... (And if you can find one...)

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Around $400 is the normal price. I've seen them lower but not in today's market... (And if you can find one...)

Take care, Bill

Thanks Bill....$400 isn't bad. I thought it would have been more. When I can scrape together the cash I'll probably get one. I really like a Benelli but I'm sure they are close to $1k.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I have a Mossberg Slugster in the closet.

But does it fit in your purse?
LOL.gif

hpim1121resizedt.jpg

Here's my home defense weapon. You can buy a brand-new Mossberg for around $300 with a 10-year warranty. I think this one was the "Persuader" with the 18" barrel. The one must-have addition I recommend for it is a Knoxx RRS (recoiling reducing) stock. It is adjustable, adds a pistol grip and has a spring system inside that significantly cuts recoil down. I can shoot 3" 00 buck easily with it without bruising my shoulder. Birdshot for practice is a piece of cake. It was a must-have for teaching my wife to shoot.

I wouldn't expect the Benelli Nova or SuperNova to be priced higher than the Remington 870, but I haven't checked prices lately. I like the Benelli's chrome-lined bore, smooth action, strong extraction and ejection, synthetic stock, etc. Yes, they are ugly, but functionally they are beautiful shotguns.

The downside to Benelli is you will not have near as many accessory options available as with the Remington or Mossberg. It's not a big deal to me, but it's important to many people.

take a good look at the Mossberg 590's - they get smoother with use and I doubt you can wear one out . Solid and reliable .

Get the standard sights and stick on a fiber optic bead - the green one from Tru-glo is about $15 .

Consider a light - assuming you can't see in the dark ...

Mossbergs have the safety in the right place - ambidextrous .

Just my .02

Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER
Get the standard sights and stick on a fiber optic bead - the green one from Tru-glo is about $15 .

I did the same with my Maverick - you can't beat it the fiber optic bead for the price. I'm pretty good from the hip, but it's good to know that if I need to draw a bead in low light, I can.

Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER
take a good look at the Mossberg 590's - they get smoother with use and I doubt you can wear one out . Solid and reliable .

Consider a light - assuming you can't see in the dark ...

Mossbergs have the safety in the right place - ambidextrous .

Just my .02

Would you want an intruder to know exactly where you are by using a light? I'm just wondering that if I knew somebody was in my home in the middle of the night, and I wanted to be able to locate him before he locates me.....wouldn't it be better to not use a light? What if the intruder shoots at the light? Surely he'll see the light BEFORE I see him....right? Just curious. My home has enough light coming into the windows from the outdoor lighting anyway so I don't think I'd need one.

First rule (at least in my book) is MAKE SURE of your target.

Trying to see with out a light to POSITIVELY ID the bad guy is going to get someone (like a family member) SHOT.

No matter how much light you think is there in your house from outside lights, it is not enough. If it is enough to ID him, then the bad guy is going to see you better than a bright light pointing towards him.

I'll take my chances with the bad guy shooting at the light then accidentally shoot someone who is innocent.

Also, (for me) a good mounted LED light on the gun (my "house" gun is a P345 with a BRIGHT LED on the rail) is MUCH better than a laser. The laser does not ID the target. A light does.

My 3 cents.

Take care, Bill

PS: Most of the time just making loud noises like racking the Pump on a shotgun while yelling call 911 will make most of the bad guys leave QUICKLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back