Home defense shotguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine's a Mossberg 835 with 3.5" shells, folding stock, and extended magazine.
I was looking at Benelli shotguns at Gander Mountain; a bit pricey, and none of them came with a short enough barrel (for me) for defense. If this is the weapon of choice, then one might plan on the expense of an extra barrel which is short enough.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My favorite is a Remington 870 12 gauge with an 18" barrel, and if you like put a light on it. Mossberg makes a nice weapon too, but IMO the Remington is better. If you like tweaking the shotgun there are more after market parts for the Remington 870 than most other shotguns.

+1.
-----------------------
2.75" shells...personal preference for my 12 gauge. A 20 gauge Mossberg for the wife's HD gun but I'm diggin' it more and more over my 12. 75% of the hitting power for 55% of the recoil but less shell options and harder to find sometimes. Really like how it handles... and I seem to get a bit quicker better follow up shots on multi targets... new found respect for the 20 gauge.

Last edited:
I have got a Mossberg 500 with the pistol grip. I love it! I am similar to Bill only the first round coming out is the slug with the rest being double 00. Its a great shotgun! They can be found for less than $300, I have seen them for $230 but that was better times. It has a 8 round capacity. I do agree the 590 is better. IT is smoother. I bought that for my parents. I just like the pistol grip better than the shoulder stock.

Average, ordinary 870 Youth model 20ga. Simple, light weight and recoil (for older / women), short, doesn't look like a killing machine and has plenty of punch to get the job done. Also, cheap.

Load it with #4 buck (to minimize over penetration through walls) and you will have a very effective HD weapon.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER
take a good look at the Mossberg 590's - they get smoother with use and I doubt you can wear one out . Solid and reliable .

Get the standard sights and stick on a fiber optic bead - the green one from Tru-glo is about $15 .

Consider a light - assuming you can't see in the dark ...

Mossbergs have the safety in the right place - ambidextrous .

Just my .02

Would you want an intruder to know exactly where you are by using a light? I'm just wondering that if I knew somebody was in my home in the middle of the night, and I wanted to be able to locate him before he locates me.....wouldn't it be better to not use a light? What if the intruder shoots at the light? Surely he'll see the light BEFORE I see him....right? Just curious. My home has enough light coming into the windows from the outdoor lighting anyway so I don't think I'd need one.

UHHH... not a good use of a light - don't leave it on while you walk around the house .

Just turn it on when you need to see the details of a potential target - I emphasize the word potential .

Just a blindingly bright light ( Surefire etc. NOT a AA mini mag light )may encourage cooperation of said potential target . As well as making sure it's not just someone rifling the fridge for munchies ...

The ideal night vision aid would be a pair of night-vision goggles. Since I won't be buying that....a light of some sort MAY be considered. Still, accusations of irresponsibilty aside, I'm not fully convinced that a light is the best way to stalk an intruder. Lights attract attention (and perhaps attack with a gunshot or knife) and they cast shadows while sometimes abstracting the target.
Still thinking it over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Average, ordinary 870 Youth model 20ga. Simple, light weight and recoil (for older / women), short, doesn't look like a killing machine and has plenty of punch to get the job done. Also, cheap.

Would you also recommend that for middle aged men with big beer guts, bad backs, and hernias?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg
The ideal night vision aid would be a pair of night-vision goggles.

If anyone turns on the light you'll be nicely blinded, unless you get an expensive model that limits excessive and sudden gain.

Seriously , just turn it on when actively engaging the problem .

Assuming that the light is attatched to the shotgun - think of it as an auxilary aiming device ...

As well as something that will render night adapted vision utterly useless for several min, even in dim light it's hard to see after looking into 90+ lumens , not quite as overwhelming as a camera flash but close to it in a dark room .

Originally Posted By: CITYSLICKER
Seriously , just turn it on when actively engaging the problem .

Assuming that the light is attatched to the shotgun - think of it as an auxilary aiming device ...

As well as something that will render night adapted vision utterly useless for several min, even in dim light it's hard to see after looking into 90+ lumens , not quite as overwhelming as a camera flash but close to it in a dark room .

Good points.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I saw that Bass Pro is going to have 20 ga., 870 "Compact"s on sale for $289 I think.

Can could get two and strap them to your calves!
LOL.gif

I'm sorry, I was soused when I wrote that. I don't even remember who Can is! But yeah, Tempest could strap those guns to his calves, too. He could call himself Nevada Tempest.
grin2.gif

There we go....kind of like Buckshot George LOL! Wanted: Nevada Tempest for non-conforming political thoughts!! Cash reward for his wearabouts or scalp. Beware he has an 870 3" mod strapped to each calf and isn't afraid to pull the trigger!!

Lets talk about ammo? need loads that won't send stray shot through sheet rock walls or paper thin doors and hit your wife and kids, especially if you live in a mobile home.

Originally Posted By: y2k345
Rem 870 12 or 20 gauge, but your better off with buying a good older one as I hear the new ones are of poor quality.

Anything post '06 seems to suffer serious QC (for the 870 Express ONLY). Luckily, my 870 that's inbound was manufactured in '05.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back