Home defense shotguns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wileyE
Lets talk about ammo? need loads that won't send stray shot through sheet rock walls or paper thin doors and hit your wife and kids, especially if you live in a mobile home.

Anything suitable for self defense is powerful enough to go through walls.

Lets talk about ammo? need loads that won't send stray shot through sheet rock walls or paper thin doors and hit your wife and kids, especially if you live in a mobile home.
Take a piece of sheet rock and shoot it from 10-15 feet with ANY load and you'll find most of the time that it will go straight through.

Of course, the larger shot WILL go through more layers and still be deadly.

Here is some reading that will assist. ---> Box of truth

And this page covers shotguns and sheet rock ---> Box of truth shotguns vs walls

Take care, Bill

^^ Exactly. FBI has determined a minimum of 12" of penetration is needed. Anything that will do that will go thru all sorts of building materials. Planning and Shot placement will help avoid hitting wife and kids.

Hopefully you don't have issues with the barrel.

Quite a few have had cracked barrels (read on the internet and I've PERSONALLY seen 2 of them!)

Also, a weapon that is on the list to be illegal as a short barreled shotgun.. (they want to incl rifled barrels in the under 18" rule.... )
frown.gif

Join the NRA if you have not.
01.gif

I shot one and guess for a close encounter they would be effective.

For car jacking I could not think of a better weapon!
shocked2.gif

Take care, Bill

Yeah Bill haven't had any issues with the barrel splitting yet (knock on wood), but I think a few rounds of .410 buckshot would dissuade someone from banging on your bedroom door LOL. I view the judge as a back up to my 870. Recoil was surprisingly not that bad for a little lead slinger. I'm an NRA member and donate to the political action committee activities as well. Have a good one Bill!

I have and love my Benelli M-4 super 90 semi auto. The U.S. Marine corp shotgun expensive $1800 if you can find one (theres a markup)but worth it. Pistol grip, chrome lined barrel, gas piston operated.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Anything suitable for self defense is powerful enough to go through walls.

Exactly. Why in the world would I expect a weapon to kill a possible six foot five, 250 pound, thickly clothed, crazed intruder.....yet not go through sheet rock or a paper thin door? Geez man, even a pellet gun would go through the door. Firearms are deadly....aim carefully.

I didn't get a chance to read all the posts, but I don't think a shotgun is a good home defense weapon. My opinion only, but my weapon of choice is the double action 9mm with hydroshock ammo. It's easier, quicker and safer to handle in an emergency situation. This is what you should look for, as whoever breaks into your house is catching you by surprise to one degree or another. You won't have much time to react.

Also, alot easier to explain to a canuck-cop how your laminated 870 loaded with buck', shot the intruder, instead of a 9mm handgun with JHP...

Here's a hint: trigger lock is the only thing required for the 870 if it's hidden, the hand gun either is in a safe, mag out, or in a plastic transport case, trigger locked, and mag out.
wink.gif

Folks watch out for trigger locks ESP on a pump shotgun! (or ANY POS trigger lock)

I've seen too many ADs due to someone having a trigger lock on a pump shotgun and then racking the pump. The movement of the action and the lock on the trigger COULD case a AD.

Better would be a cable lock (or lock) going through the ejection port and bottom of the receiver. That way the action is blocked from loading a round and being ready to fire.

IMO trigger locks are one of the most dangerous things out there.

A good lock preventing a cylinder from closing or a cable going from the ejection port down through the mag well is MUCH SAFER.

This way the gun is for a fact unloaded AND the action can not close on a live round.

Take care, bill

Here's mine: A Mossberg 500A with Surefire fore end light and with a Knoxx Spec-Ops reduced recoil stock. This stock, no lie, substantially reduces the recoil of even 3" loads via two very large springs hidden inside. I can comfortably shoot 2 3/4" slug and 00 buck with one hand using this stock. Well worth the 100 bucks. Also, if you get a 500 Mossy, go ahead and replace the cheesy plastic safety with a nice oversized metal one. Makes a big difference.

vz817s.jpg
[/img]
34t1z5c.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
The biggest advantage the Mossberg has IMO, is the top mounted safety. Any kind of pistol grip completely negates that advantage.

Huh? I can reach mine just fine.
21.gif

And even if I couldn't, I am not giving up around a 40% recoil reduction using this stock so I can manipulate the safety better. At home, next to the nightstand this gun has the tube filled up, none in the chamber, safety off. My pistol, a well known model, doesn't even have a safety either. I have no children, so the safeties on nightstand guns are not engaged. Oh the noes!

I can work on and smith the gun as it is a very simple design. Spare parts are dirt cheap as well.

Here is another one in my stable and my favorite one because of sentimental value. A Winchester 1300 Marine. Had this gun since I was 20 years old.
2eppx5f.jpg

Last edited:
One good Maverick deserves another- how 'bout a Maverick Marinecote 8-shot?
whistle.gif
Click image to see a larger poor picture.
blush.gif

You can have the safety on top of the gun- I grew up on pump shotguns(Dad's model 17 Rem, then my Rem 870, both push button safety at rear triggerguard) and Dad's Winchester .22 pump, Win Model 12 12 ga, and then my Browning .22 auto(these had safety button at front of t-guard), and if it doesn't have an exposed hammer(or is not a bolt action rifle), I *Strongly* prefer my safety on the triggerguard.

It's hard to beat muscle memory- and for me that's a pump gun with safety on the triggerguard. Front or rear, doesn't matter, my bang-switch-finger is "ambidexterous".
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
The biggest advantage the Mossberg has IMO, is the top mounted safety. Any kind of pistol grip completely negates that advantage.

Huh? I can reach mine just fine.
21.gif

With your trigger hand? While holding the weapon as you would while firing it?

I've purchased many police trade ins in my day. Smith and Wesson and High Standard were reliable and all steel. You can still get them for about $100-125.

They look rough on the outside but those parts have been honed by use. Nothing from a factory will feel slicker!

If you want low penetration, go with bird shot #7 low brass. I lean towards 00 low recoil but you are the decider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back