HOLY........ "GM and Chrysler explore merger...."

Status
Not open for further replies.
well if they merge, they would have to cut jobs/models. I mean chevy HHR and Chrysler PT cruiser. Dodge Viper and Chevy Corvette. Both models in the same segment/class. Unless they keep the lines separated which I don't see happening since they are both losing tons of money. somethings gotta change if they merge.

"GM and Chrysler explore merger...."

Oh no! A repeat of history?

Monday, Jun. 28, 1954

Quote:
For weeks the auto industry has been alive with rumors of a merger between Studebaker and Packard so that the two independents could compete better...

Monday, Apr. 23, 1956

Quote:
Trouble was a mild word for Studebaker-Packard's plight. Instead of the strengthening expected from the October 1954 merger, the combined company has been losing money heavily. Production is running 30% below 1955, the backlog of Packards in dealers' hands is big, and the company has used up nearly $25 million of its $45 million line of bank credit.

frown.gif

Chrysler seems to do better on overall design appearance, but maybe it's because I've not been a fan of GM designs since they did away with the split window Vette. GM seems to design to some weird rustbelt (?) taste considering vehicles like the Caprice that looked one painted pile of dog doo. But, GM seems to have done better on some mechanical design, as Chrysler or Ford seem to have taken advantage of a government program to provide jobs for former crack babies and made them automatic transmission designers. GM seems to have also done better on fuel mileage on sporty cars and SUVs.

Whatever they do, they need to focus on producing cars that will go a minimum of 100K without 13789293940283 trips back to the dealer for warranty work.

That's an interesting analogy. On an off topic note, it's a shame studebakers aren't made any more - my grandfather always swore those were the best cars ever made in this country.

Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
We all have to merge sometime.

Right mori?

Some say that it must occur ...sooner or later..

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
That's an interesting analogy. On an off topic note, it's a shame studebakers aren't made any more - my grandfather always swore those were the best cars ever made in this country.

People used to say that about GM too...

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
This might be the time to load up on GM stock at under 5 bucks guys!

If...........only............I...........had..........

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GM

Up 1.62 today. Heading toward 10 bucks in coming weeks? Hmm...

As a side note, I don't see how this almost 1000 point rally occurred. More government intervention calmed the market? Seems like for today at least, but I think we are still in for some bad times ahead.

Last edited:
[/quote]

Up 1.62 today. Heading toward 10 bucks in coming weeks? Hmm...

As a side note, I don't see how this almost 1000 point rally occurred. More government intervention calmed the market? Seems like for today at least, but I think we are still in for some bad times ahead. [/quote]

You bet your bippy! We only just begun. Glad I work in the grocery biz. You guys still have to eat.

Last edited:
More govt intervention calmed the market b/c the core of this crisis is banks are holding on to every dollar they have to prop up their balance sheet and not lending it. The govt is essentially going to give them a whole lot more money to lend. In the short term, it should thaw the lending market. In the long term, inflation in a big possibility. But the market was tanking on the prospect that these banks weren't going to be able to lend, freezing the day to day borrowing necessary for routine commerce and business operations.

Plus, you had the opportunistic buyers who piled on, worried they would miss a historic opportunity to grab a piece of really solid companies who's stock just got caught in the the downdraft with the rest of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back