Holy cow! 18.6 mpg with 2004 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted here last week about the 2004 Crown Vic I picked up. It's in good condition with (now) 141,000 miles on it. I just checked the gas mileage for the first time on my second fill-up. This car does not have an on-board mpg display so I had to do it the old fashioned way and use math. 270 miles of nothing but around town driving. Absolutely no highway miles to speak of, other than short bursts down the Interstate just to get to the next exit down. Took 14.5 gallons to fill it up. That's 18.6 mpg. Amazing.

03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody who thinks 18.6 mpg is "horrible" in nothing but short trip, around town driving from a 4.6 V8 in a 4200 lb car needs a serious reality check.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: beast3300
That's pretty good mileage! Are you thinking of experimenting with different octanes?

I haven't had any noticeable difference between 87 and 93, but mine is a Police Interceptor with 90+% highway, and OP's is an LX with mostly city, so I'd be curious if his results are different.

I got about 17mpg doing all stop and go driving at the Woodward Dream Cruise in the Firebird. Many hours of idling and jackrabbit starts. Curb weight of approx. 3400lbs and a 3.8 v6. I'd say 18+ with a bigger engine and heavier car is pretty good.

That's about what I would have expected a few years ago... but... since then the BITOG cult following has led me to believe it would do just short of 30mpg in any environment while providing sports car handling and all terrain capability... of course with a minivan size interior and a trunk that can hold a 4 x 8ft sheet of plywood.

Seriously, though, that's a good looking car... doesn't look like a beat to death police interceptor by any stretch.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Anybody who thinks 18.6 mpg is "horrible" in nothing but short trip, around town driving from a 4.6 V8 in a 4200 lb car needs a serious reality check.
smirk2.gif

I guess that's why I would never want to drive a 4.6 V8 in a 4200 lb car around town.

Sorry 30 years ago that might have been considered acceptable. But not (for most people, including the Police) today.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
That's pretty good mileage! Are you thinking of experimenting with different octanes?

No. Just using 87 octane (which was $2.79/gal this morning) and 2oz of FP+ at every fill up.

Fresh spark plugs are going in Friday morning. Rear diff fluid was changed yesterday morning (75w-140 synthetic).

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
smirk2.gif

I agree....some of the peeps on here are seriously lacking the ability to think.

That was GREAT mpg's for around town. The one I had achieved 30mpg on a highway trip to Arizona and back. I never did compute the city mileage.

Nice car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
That's about what I would have expected a few years ago... but... since then the BITOG cult following has led me to believe it would do just short of 30mpg in any environment while providing sports car handling and all terrain capability... of course with a minivan size interior and a trunk that can hold a 4 x 8ft sheet of plywood.

Seriously, though, that's a good looking car... doesn't look like a beat to death police interceptor by any stretch.

High teens are decent for a full size sedan.

By comparison, my 180 mph luxury sedan has averaged 17+ mpg across 100k miles, including all dragstrip and road course miles as well...

Any particular reason to get the car? I can't really think of any situation I'd rather drive an old crown vic over an A4? I guess carting goats in the back seat, but I doubt you need to do that very often...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Any particular reason to get the car? I can't really think of any situation I'd rather drive an old crown vic over an A4? I guess carting goats in the back seat, but I doubt you need to do that very often...

I've heard of instances of cow-napping by car, maybe this is how it's done....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Probably because he likes that style of car and knows it's reliable...especially over a used A4.
Curious comment coming from a fella that drives a Tracker and a Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back