Holy cow! 18.6 mpg with 2004 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Any particular reason to get the car? I can't really think of any situation I'd rather drive an old crown vic over an A4? I guess carting goats in the back seat, but I doubt you need to do that very often...

I sold the Taurus X but I still needed something that my 80-year-old mother can get in and out of and which has a trunk that will hold her wheel chair. She's in a nursing home now, so I don't have to worry about taking her to the doctors, etc., as much as I used to, but there are still times when their transport is not available and I have to. Plus, she just likes to get out of there and go for a ride every now and then and she can't get in and out of my Audi (it sits way too low).

That was the "practical" reason for buying the car. The other reason is I've just always liked big, ol' cushy American cars. The very first new car I ever bought was a 1978 Olds 88 Royale when I was 19 years old.

I used to take my dad for rides just to get him out every now and then. Enjoy it while you can.

18.6 isn't bad, but not unbelievable. For daily (mixed) city commute, I used to average 17.5 in my 2wd Sport Trac 4.6 3V (more HP, heavier, and much more resistance).

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
18.6 mpg is spectacular for a Crown Vic! 13-15 is much more typical in my experience.

Nice car.

Wow, is your experience with cop cars? 13-15 is horrendous for a CV that is driven like a regular car. Treat it like a cop car and I can see those numbers.

That is great gas mileage for such a heavy car that is what my mother gets on her Grand Marquis. They ride great they last a long long time and in an accident they hold up well that is why i bought a brand new one for my mother in 2007

Wow, thats terrible! i know there are lots of crown lovers on here, but at the end of the day, they'll be depreciated and totaled like anything else in the case of a crash, and there are safer options out there.

And the availability at a good price I fear will be overcome by fuel costs, even at today's prices...

I agree with what I read in another thread... If they put the ecoboost 2.7 or something like that, maybe updated the aerodynamics a bit, and put in a 6AT or CVT, and I suspect its a revamped winner...

maybe so but you will have a much better chance on surviving a crash in one of those than in most japanese cars and they do last a long long time. Some say the crown vic never dies they were born Police cars then they turn into taxis. There are lots of companies and people looking for them.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
18.6 mpg is spectacular for a Crown Vic! 13-15 is much more typical in my experience.

Nice car.

Wow, is your experience with cop cars? 13-15 is horrendous for a CV that is driven like a regular car. Treat it like a cop car and I can see those numbers.

Yes, police use, but my buddy's personal CV gets 15 too no matter what he does to it. They seem to hit a miles wall where they start sucking gas and that is the way it's gonna be.

Great cars though.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
maybe so but you will have a much better chance on surviving a crash in one of those than in most japanese cars and they do last a long long time. Some say the crown vic never dies they were born Police cars then they turn into taxis. There are lots of companies and people looking for them.

Do you have data to back up that claim? I recall seeing a discussion on this board years ago where cabin intrusion was a metric, and the results were not good. It seems to be a fallacy, beyond basic physics associated with mass of heavier versus lighter objects, that these big, heavy, frame type cars are actually safer.

Perhaps more easily repaired... But after a big event, I'm not sure I'd want a repaired car...

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Nice car.

Yes, police use, but my buddy's personal CV gets 15 too no matter what he does to it. They seem to hit a miles wall where they start sucking gas and that is the way it's gonna be.

Great cars though.

That wall seems to be a combination of torque converter efficiency/lockup to engine efficiency rpms as well as aerodynamics at play with a car that large. Sealing the gaps and directing as much air through the radiator as possible has helped many a vehicle get better MPGs (not by cooling better, but by preventing collisions between air and as much behind the front bumper as possible).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brandini
Sealing the gaps and directing as much air through the radiator as possible has helped many a vehicle get better MPGs (not by cooling better, but by preventing collisions between air and as much behind the front bumper as possible).

Sealing the gaps works, but I think that aerodynamically, blocking the radiator as much as possible returns the most gains, at least when paired with other measures such as under-body trays, etc. The active shutters on some new models like the Cruze and Focus are evidence of that. NASCAR actually is as well; they run as much tape as possible, restricting as much air from flowing through the radiator as the cooling system will allow.

I have a 2003 Grand Marquis that I bought used in 2008 for $6700 out the door. It had 39K on it, and right now I'm a little shy of 100K. I live in Chicago, so when I say I average 14.6 mpg in the city you can bet that's really city driving. I always take supposed city mileage claims with a grain of salt because the word "city" means different things to many people. Not to mention the area of the country you are from and the altitude you operate at.The only long road trip I did I got 26 mpg. The car has given me some weird electrical problems and I suffered the dreaded warped intake manifold. However I like the car and it will be around for a long time. Huge trunk, lot's of interior space and a plush ride that you don't get in most cars. I am certainly getting my $6700 worth out of this car
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: blueglide88
I have a 2003 Grand Marquis that I bought used in 2008 for $6700 out the door. It had 39K on it, and right now I'm a little shy of 100K. I live in Chicago, so when I say I average 14.6 mpg in the city you can bet that's really city driving. I always take supposed city mileage claims with a grain of salt because the word "city" means different things to many people. Not to mention the area of the country you are from and the altitude you operate at.The only long road trip I did I got 26 mpg. The car has given me some weird electrical problems and I suffered the dreaded warped intake manifold. However I like the car and it will be around for a long time. Huge trunk, lot's of interior space and a plush ride that you don't get in most cars. I am certainly getting my $6700 worth out of this car
smile.gif

Yes, they are great cars. Highly durable and reliable. I had one for three years.

I did have an odd occasional electrical issue though. The headlights would go out for no reason. Well, obviously a reason existed, but nobody could ever figure it out. It did this about twice a year and it was only for a few minutes. Then...it would be another 6 to 10 months before it would happen again. Really odd.

I got almost 30mpg on a long road trip.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
smile.gif

Yes, they are great cars. Highly durable and reliable. I had one for three years.

I did have an odd occasional electrical issue though. The headlights would go out for no reason. Well, obviously a reason existed, but nobody could ever figure it out. It did this about twice a year and it was only for a few minutes. Then...it would be another 6 to 10 months before it would happen again. Really odd.

I had the same problem. There was a recall on some sort of headlight control module. I received it in the mail last year and Ford fixed it for free!

Originally Posted By: andrewg
smile.gif

I had the same problem. There was a recall on some sort of headlight control module. I received it in the mail last year and Ford fixed it for free!

Wow! I didn't know that...and apparently the shops I went to didn't either.

I wish I'd known that back then.

I don't get the love for the Panther from the big guys. I am 6'7", about 270ish pounds, and I think there are much better choices for comfortable cars.

You should sit in a late model Sonata - the front seat goes way, way back. The specification for front seat legroom is 45 inches and I believe it.

Wow, that is great. When me dad gave me his 04 Grand Marquis LS premium we only got 15 mpg city and 23-24 Hiway, my dad said a few times he could get 25 mpg hi-way. Not sure why our mileage was a little on the low side but it was on its third tranny at 74K. Gave the car to my sister at 95K.

Just an update. Since replacing the spark plugs and using Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, I'm now averaging over 20 mpg on each tank of city driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back