Holiday Spending

I always thought the videos of people stampeding into a Walmart or shopping mall and fist fighting over some cheap Chinese made crap was sad.
Trust me,I've seen it up close and personal, it's truly disgusting. I remember woking at the mall on black Friday. Herds of ugly fat women lined up at the entrance waiting to come stampeding into the store like cattle being rounded up once the gate is opened. Moooo!!!!

No change this year.
thanksgiving is our favorite holiday, no gifts, just food and family.
Christmas we haven’t exchanged gifts in years. Kids in the extended family is all.
Years ago we started using all our credit card rebates to donate to non profits.
now we just donate flat out and tell all the adults who we donated to.

we are truly blessed, including this year, that when we need or want something during the year (e.g. tools, clothing, truck or ATV stuff, etc.) we get it. NOTHING we need or really want.

We are buying for a less fortunate and my wife is spending the same on xmas. I am enjoying it just like my dad(Syrian immigrant) did when we were kids and buying for less fortunate and buying tons for family.

For my family we skipped two international vacations(double whammy of cost + not paid at work) , did 1/3 mileage and also Trump(he signed it) handed my family a $3900 check we did not need. Lastly our child care and camp/activities expense was cut so we ended up in another end of spectrum.

Not traveling this year but it didn't cost much to do that. Mostly not sure what to get others, we've hit the age where we've got all that we need, but nothing new there. Will just mailorder things and have a quiet holiday at home, less shopping and no travel.

Not financially constrained this year. Never was tempted to overspend at Christmas anyway. Just not the style of my family.

Missing my kid who won’t be traveling because of Covid. Probably will compensate a bit in the present department.

I think this year my wife felt bad for the kids getting stuck at home so she sort of overspent on toys. Bought 5 let the kids pick 2 but end up keeping all 5, sort of things. Nothing too expensive, all less than $50 ea.

My father in law, as expected, are being a **** again. He wanted me to tell him a list of what the kids want and then say it is not grand enough (the kids didn't want anything he can afford anyways). He told me to give him a list before thanksgiving while calling me at work hours, then ask me to give another bigger list, I just throw stuff at it (fake receipt) to pad it to $177 and he still say it is not enough. I told him the rest went to his son (my brother in law) for gift exchange already, and he said forget about brother in law, his gifting takes priority. It is a PITA to entertain him when we have real work to do in the house. This is not a game show old man! Go watch Wheel of Fortune!

I think I'm going to tell him the honest answer: my daughters want cash.

Most years are tight for us, but this one even more so. We purchased gifts for our parents and my siblings this year, and had a budget of around $35-$40 per person. We are trying to get ahead on our finances. Lower monthly income this year paired with some unexpected expenses has caught up, trying to get back on track and stay focused on the goal.

For the past few years, mom and stepdad and brother and sister in law have decided no gifts. Best to enjoy family and togetherness. The girlfriend just wants good health for me, her and her daughters. The nephews are so spoiled and lately ungrateful to say least.

Real dad always says “I don’t need anything” but he never turns down some oil filters and “clearance oils” 😁

I usually get junk and prefer gift cards since "I am VERY hard to shop for" ...

some families put a limit of $xx or do a gift exchange kind of deal for the adults. Adults enjoy the gathering more and gifts are more for kids.

Back